HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:33 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
1,876 Posts
No, he didn't have the wrong equipment, he did the best he could with what he had. Fpv camera is the wrong equipment if you ask me... Well, a few low passes wouldn't hurt tho.

Anyway, Fastfwd did you reverse the shaft on you 1450? I got mine in yesterday and tried to reverse it after backing out the grub screws but couldn't. Should I give it a good wack? I didn't want to damage my new motor. Can you help? Thanks
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:10 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Sweet video!

How's the climb?

The SSS is a powered glider, of course, and was never intended to be a racer or stunt plane. But the ability to get upstairs without worrying about minimum airspeed, or having to cover a lot of ground doing it, is handy at times. This was the reason I put a large motor in mine. I'll bet yours is the same way. Got any shots of it climbing?
climbs great now,i chickened out when it headed for the clouds
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:12 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
No, he didn't have the wrong equipment, he did the best he could with what he had. Fpv camera is the wrong equipment if you ask me... Well, a few low passes wouldn't hurt tho.

Anyway, Fastfwd did you reverse the shaft on you 1450? I got mine in yesterday and tried to reverse it after backing out the grub screws but couldn't. Should I give it a good wack? I didn't want to damage my new motor. Can you help? Thanks
i didnt change anything on that motor,just installed it and flew ? I did have to bore out the prop to correct size though
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:18 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
So still 3S, right? Have you checked to see how many amps that is pulling? That 9x5 might be just about the limit. Some 'Pro contributer' posted that a 9x7 would pull 60 amps and a 9x4.5 would pull around 45. The motor is rated at 45 MAXIMUM and of course that could not be done for very long without overheating it. Looks like it could be a pretty good choice since it is really light.

Gord
Have not put the watt meter to it yet (Have yet to solder on plugs), but with two full throttle climbs into clouds,and then running around half throttle,esc,battery and motor are not even warm to touch. last flight i did was around 10 minutes
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:45 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
1,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
i didnt change anything on that motor,just installed it and flew ? I did have to bore out the prop to correct size though
So pretty much you used the collett hardware that came with it? (I just didn't want to assume)
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:17 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
So pretty much you used the collett hardware that came with it? (I just didn't want to assume)
yes i did use the hardware that came with motor.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:48 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,097 Posts
Just wanted to know, what direct fitment upgraded motor for this SuperSS?

Will I need a special motor mount like this one?

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=748

p.s.
can you guys give LINKS to what best power combo you guys are using?
(motor/prop/etc.....) I have a bunch of 4s-5000mah Lipos here to use:-)

was planning on using (~135grams) Scorpion 3014 v2-~1200kv motor, APCe 9x6 prop.
rclab1 is online now Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:27 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post

p.s.

was planning on using (~135grams) Scorpion 3014 v2-~1200kv motor, APCe 9x6 prop.
. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18226 This is motor i put in, it bolts right in wont have to do anything to it. I am using 3s 5000mah 35C lipo,a 50amp esc with 4 amp bult in bec and a 9x5APC E prop. stays quite cool and will climb almost vertical.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:31 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,272 Posts
Quote:

Emax BL3526/04 motor http://www.headsuphobby.com/Emax-BL3...otor-A-274.htm
Master Airscrew 10-5 three-blade prop
Hobbywing 100A ESC http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-flyfun-100a.html
GensAce 4000mAh 5s LiPo battery http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-4000-5s1p.html

This motor is not quite a bolt-in. The motor is 44mm in diameter, larger and longer than the stock motor, so I had to hollow out the motor pod to make it fit, and trim and re-drill the cross-shaped motor mount that came with it. See pictures here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post23131125
And a video of it in flight here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post23209486

It flies very nicely, does the long-slow-majestic-soaring-flight stuff that these SSSs look so nice doing. It will fly for half an hour easily, doing the usual gentle cruises and occasional stunts. It will also climb vertically till it's out of sight if you want it to. (But not for half an hour )

It's still a powered glider and always will be. But being able to get upstairs quickly is handy sometimes.

Fun, too.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Apr 07, 2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:06 PM
A wing and a prayer
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined May 2010
72 Posts
Maiden Alert

Completely stock exept for 8X6 APC prop.
Sit close to the screen and your left eye will enjoy departures while your right enjoys arrivals

Super surfer maiden flight (4 min 47 sec)
keok is online now Find More Posts by keok
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:32 PM
United States, NC, Avon
Joined Sep 2012
260 Posts
Quote:

p.s.

I was wondering about this mount. I'm looking for a platform to haul cameras and batteries aloft for FPV, and was researching the Bixler 2, when I stumbled across the SSS a couple of days ago, and have been wading through 110 pages of posts. A lot of the Bix 2 folks are using this mount to upgrade their motors due to the size of the nacelle. The mount will allow you to mount the motor an inch higher, which would allow a 2" larger diameter prop. That might even allow you to put the ESC in the nacelle for better cooling. What do you think?
robschonk is online now Find More Posts by robschonk
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:38 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,097 Posts
You wont need that mount because the SSS will accomodate almost any power combo you throw at it.....(from what I read)....
rclab1 is online now Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:09 PM
United States, NC, Avon
Joined Sep 2012
260 Posts
Quote:
You wont need that mount because the SSS will accomodate almost any power combo you throw at it.....(from what I read)....
But wouldn't a larger dia. Prop with a lower KV motor be more efficient?
robschonk is online now Find More Posts by robschonk
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:54 AM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,568 Posts
Finally got the lighting system installed and the controller board working properly! I still have 2 flood lights to install yet but sofar I am pretty pleased!!!

Testing Super Skysurfer Lighting System (2 min 56 sec)
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: (B)ixler-28 Maiden
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:24 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robschonk View Post
But wouldn't a larger dia. Prop with a lower KV motor be more efficient?
try it should work fine. im not sure how the mount goes on though as the mount on th SSS is buried inside the housing