G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:04 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
well a flying buddy put his SSS nose first into his shop roof. Totaled all the work i did on it after it crashed last time. The culprit was the elevator servo twitched and locked in down position, second servo in this plane. we had just put in a new bigger motor,and prop, boom ! he is putting a new one together as we speak.Mine flew like crazy with new motor and a 9x5 apc E prop. just goes vertical and climbs until you quit Here is motor i used, it bolts right in place. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18226
Only other change is the 50amp esc w/4amp built in bec
Sorry to hear she went down again
I have some hitec 82MG servos sitting around, would these be big enough? Given it's been reported stock servos have issues?

I also have a D3542 1450 turnigy I was thinking of fitting on 4S for a little more ooompf ... either that or a G32 but fear 770kv is too low with lack of prop clearence...
AussieHoppy is offline Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:16 PM
rwj
Joined Dec 2011
322 Posts
How is the radio

with the ready to version?
rwj is offline Find More Posts by rwj
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:53 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
here is the sss with 9x5apc E ,has way more power,this is before i put in new motor,ill try to get video with new motor setup. video takes about 20 seconds to start.
Super Sky Surfer (6 min 47 sec)
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:57 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,381 Posts
Quote:
here is the sss with 9x5apc E ,has way more power,this is before i put in new motor,ill try to get video with new motor setup. video takes about 20 seconds to start.
Thanks for the effort, but do you really think that the tiny speck in the sky will look different after you put the new motor in?
kaptondave is online now Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:33 AM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
well a flying buddy put his SSS nose first into his shop roof. Totaled all the work i did on it after it crashed last time. The culprit was the elevator servo twitched and locked in down position, second servo in this plane. we had just put in a new bigger motor,and prop, boom ! he is putting a new one together as we speak.Mine flew like crazy with new motor and a 9x5 apc E prop. just goes vertical and climbs until you quit Here is motor i used, it bolts right in place. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18226
Only other change is the 50amp esc w/4amp built in bec
So still 3S, right? Have you checked to see how many amps that is pulling? That 9x5 might be just about the limit. Some 'Pro contributer' posted that a 9x7 would pull 60 amps and a 9x4.5 would pull around 45. The motor is rated at 45 MAXIMUM and of course that could not be done for very long without overheating it. Looks like it could be a pretty good choice since it is really light.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:17 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,271 Posts
After getting through the maiden flight jitters last weekend, I had a chance to really fly my SSS today, Todays goals were to make sure it flys straight with out to much trim, and a few dive tests to check CG as I dropped a little weight off the nose, All checked out well. On the first flight of the day, I would go full throttle and climb as high as I dared, then cut the throttle and let it glide back down, repeating this process a few times over a flight period of about 20 minutes the esc was warm to the touch. after recharging the batteries, the second flight goals were to find what throttle setting maintains level flight. I found that just below 1/2 throtttle would maintain level flight, and at half throttle it would slowly gain altitude. durring the entire flight of 20 minutes I used full throttle for take off, and maintained half throttle for the duration of the flight. Afterwards I found the esc pretty hot, and not comfortable to hold my hand on it. Kinda like when you are soldering on deans connectors to larger lipos and you don't dare let go of the wire until the solder sets, but you fingers are feeling like they are burning kinda thing. other wise, I have really enjoyed my SSS today, and I feel that this will make a fantastic FPV ship!!!

My setup is the stock motor and esc. Castle bec, 8x6 APC, two 2 cell 4000MAH wired in series to make a 4 cell pack.

I think I am really going to have to go with a better esc
antennahead is online now Find More Posts by antennahead
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:29 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
Afterwards I found the esc pretty hot, and not comfortable to hold my hand on it. Kinda like when you are soldering on deans connectors to larger lipos and you don't dare let go of the wire until the solder sets, but you fingers are feeling like they are burning kinda thing.
ROFL! Try sticking your finger right onto molten solder, I have done it a few times, not a comfortable feeling .

also do not fly that stock ESC on 4S! Get something in the 60A or better range and use a SBEC.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Juggernaut Maiden
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:17 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
It dont get hot at all,with the new motor and the 9x5 apc E prop, i need to figure out how to get my go pro into a zoom mode so the plane will be in closer
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:22 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,381 Posts
Quote:
It dont get hot at all,with the new motor and the 9x5 apc E prop, i need to figure out how to get my go pro into a zoom mode so the plane will be in closer
GoPros do not do zoom. They do super-wide only. That is why they are a lousy choice for RC work.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:34 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
11 16 12 my sss (6 min 51 sec)

new motor in sss, 9x5 apc e prop 3s 5000mah lipo,may want to turn off sound as my buddy forgets he is live and gets to yakking
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:44 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,381 Posts
Quote:
http://youtu.be/nIHCb76HbBA

new motor in sss, 9x5 apc e prop 3s 5000mah lipo,may want to turn off sound as my buddy forgets he is live and gets to yakking
Oh yea! The tiny dot is moving faster now.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:41 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
Oh yea! The tiny dot is moving faster now.
sweet a comedian ! you don't have to watch,but just for you ill not post any more videos or ill go out and buy a new video camera to make you happy
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:56 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,381 Posts
Quote:
sweet a comedian ! you don't have to watch,but just for you ill not post any more videos or ill go out and buy a new video camera to make you happy
Really, I was not trying to insult you; just trying to improve the quality and usefulness of videos posted here. You did the best you could but have the wrong equipment.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:26 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,278 Posts
Quote:
http://youtu.be/nIHCb76HbBA

Sweet video!

How's the climb?

The SSS is a powered glider, of course, and was never intended to be a racer or stunt plane. But the ability to get upstairs without worrying about minimum airspeed, or having to cover a lot of ground doing it, is handy at times. This was the reason I put a large motor in mine. I'll bet yours is the same way. Got any shots of it climbing?
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Nov 18, 2012 at 01:42 PM.