HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:39 AM
Joined Oct 2012
14 Posts
Nice and bright. Got to see the other planes in your collection too. Night flying? You got skills. I almost loose mine in daylight. Lol
cled is offline Find More Posts by cled
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:47 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
Yep, the stock esc is the reason why I run mine with an 8x6 and I thought it did well. this winter I'll install a bigger esc so I can use a bigger prop.
yes they fly well with stock, but a little under powered, i e-mailed banana and ask why they would send out a plane with a prop on it that would "prop stall" according to the e calculator, They said they just buy and sell but will let the manufacture know LOL yea right.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:52 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
yes they fly well with stock, but a little under powered, i e-mailed banana and ask why they would send out a plane with a prop on it that would "prop stall" according to the e calculator, They said they just buy and sell but will let the manufacture know LOL yea right.
Does the calculator say that this "prop stall" happens when the plane is moving forward at flying speed? Or only when it is standing still?
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:59 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Does the calculator say that this "prop stall" happens when the plane is moving forward at flying speed? Or only when it is standing still?
says it happens at take off mostly,once she gets going its fine,may do it on landing also.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:10 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cled View Post
Nice and bright. Got to see the other planes in your collection too. Night flying? You got skills. I almost loose mine in daylight. Lol
ROFL It has taken a lot of flying and practice to get to this point hehe.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:27 PM
BldrFlyr
Joined Jan 2012
87 Posts
SSS LR los test flight

Super Sky Surfer Testing at Foothills Community Park (11 min 32 sec)

I think I've found a setup I can live with which has strong power and plenty of duration for my LR FPV plans. I use 4s 3300's because I have so many from my Zii and they're good inexpensive batteries. I'm now using three batteries, two stacked up front with a third under the wings, all run in parallel. That puts my CG at 95-97mm from LE with a Hero3 on the front. With 9900mah, I should get a solid 60 min of power when needed. Cruising current is roughly 7amp but I don't have all my gear in place.

Once the FPV gear and Ruby goes on, I'll get a total weight and see how that changes the avg/cruise amps and CG. This plane needs lots of power AND a 10x6 to really move and get some distance. If it's being used for LOS or short range flying, I think the OEM motor, 9x6 prop etc works just fine.

I've also used some spacers to take the aggressive angle out of the motor. That angle with the higher power caused my SSS to pull right. 2-3 small washers resolved that.
Fstclyz is offline Find More Posts by Fstclyz
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:03 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,113 Posts
Glad its working for you bud. Someone here in the beginning of the thread said NOT to straighten the offset of the motor or something bad will happen. That's not really true. The member Stealth and I pm-ed and he said there was no problem in flying the straightened motor. Just takes a little work to straightening the mount...that's it.

Fstclyz, what is the maximum amp your motor can take? Because the amp you posted seems kinda high. Can you help me on that?

By the way nice video!
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:14 PM
BldrFlyr
Joined Jan 2012
87 Posts
Fstclyz, what is the maximum amp your motor can take? Because the amp you posted seems kinda high. Can you help me on that?

By the way nice video![/QUOTE]

Here's the specs on the motor. It's basically a race motor so I'm really not doing it justice even with a 10" prop. It's cool as a cucumber with a CC Icelite 75a esc.

http://www.osengines.com/motors/moto...ifications.pdf
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:21 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstclyz View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYgw1OThesE

I think I've found a setup I can live with which has strong power and plenty of duration for my LR FPV plans. I use 4s 3300's because I have so many from my Zii and they're good inexpensive batteries. I'm now using three batteries, two stacked up front with a third under the wings, all run in parallel. That puts my CG at 95-97mm from LE with a Hero3 on the front. With 9900mah, I should get a solid 60 min of power when needed. Cruising current is roughly 7amp but I don't have all my gear in place.

Once the FPV gear and Ruby goes on, I'll get a total weight and see how that changes the avg/cruise amps and CG. This plane needs lots of power AND a 10x6 to really move and get some distance. If it's being used for LOS or short range flying, I think the OEM motor, 9x6 prop etc works just fine.

I've also used some spacers to take the aggressive angle out of the motor. That angle with the higher power caused my SSS to pull right. 2-3 small washers resolved that.
Nice video ! I hear a servo doing some serious twitching ? may want to check that out. when you put washers in on motor mount did you make it perfectly straight or keep some angle in it ?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:49 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
KK2 and OA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
Yep, that's it. once flashed with AO2 you can switch between rate gyro where it reacts to uncomanded motion (gets hit by a wind gust) or full function where the accelerometers keep the plane level. keep in mind that the last time I was checking into the AO firmware, once flashed, you could not return to the multicopter firmware, however this may have change since then.
For anyone else that is wondering what this KK2 and OA2 stuff is all about, I found a couple of threads that might help. Don't mean to highjack this thread, just to avoid numerous questions here that would be better asked elsewhere.

This one is about the KK2 board itself which is aimed mainly at multi rotor designs. There are a couple of fixed wing and one flying wing entry in the menu system but they seem to be completely ignored in the Hobby King video and on it's page on their site. For that matter the manual doesn't even seem to mention them.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1675613

This one is about the OA2 firmware which seems to be aimed at using that KK2 board for fixed wing camera carrying planes. Probably will do really well even if you don't have a fancy camera mount involved. :
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1708175

Regards,
Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:33 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
This one is about the OA2 firmware which seems to be aimed at using that KK2 board for fixed wing camera carrying planes. Probably will do really well even if you don't have a fancy camera mount involved. :
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1708175

Regards,
Gord
Thats what im putting in my SSS

Chris
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:26 AM
BldrFlyr
Joined Jan 2012
87 Posts
Power Data

Here my most recent summary of power data (watts, current) using different motors and props. I'm sticking with the OS Motor/APC 10x6 setup.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:47 AM
Joined Feb 2009
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
An update on my SSS lighting setup, I have the headlights fully installed, and tested! HOLY COW are these things bright... See for yourself:

Here is a video as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdk-z6RD_Ws

Still need to build a driver board for the wing lights and flood lights, will try to get that done tomorrow then I can put the plane together and run all the lights to see how it will look together .
Are those 3w leds getting very hot?
pabmadi is online now Find More Posts by pabmadi
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:48 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pabmadi View Post
Are those 3w leds getting very hot?
Yup, that is why he has them mounted to a copper tube to dissipate heat.

Chris
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:13 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
well a flying buddy put his SSS nose first into his shop roof. Totaled all the work i did on it after it crashed last time. The culprit was the elevator servo twitched and locked in down position, second servo in this plane. we had just put in a new bigger motor,and prop, boom ! he is putting a new one together as we speak.Mine flew like crazy with new motor and a 9x5 apc E prop. just goes vertical and climbs until you quit Here is motor i used, it bolts right in place. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18226
Only other change is the 50amp esc w/4amp built in bec