HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:40 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
What is the general opinion on rudder authority- is it effective?
I've been using rudder in those vertical climbs to keep it going straight up, it's been pretty effective for me. The results of rudder commands are quite noticeable. And that's a fairly low airspeeds (good motor, but it's not a rocket )

That said, when the plane is flying level under moderate power (or gliding), a rudder command makes it yaw noticeably... but it doesn't bank worth a nickel, until I apply ailerons too. Meaning, rudder-only turns are almost nonexistent. Probably because the wing has almost zero dihedral, only the tips are curved up slightly.

My $.02
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:55 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,885 Posts
So it sounds like on landing you can align the plane to where you want? Or will it just start crabbing?

Chris
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2012, 02:07 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
So it sounds like on landing you can align the plane to where you want? Or will it just start crabbing?
Mostly crabbing, but it will slide left or right, sort of, a little.

You really have to turn with ailerons and rudder, but that's more restricted close to the ground obviously. In my video you can see me slaloming my way between the street light poles, the flagpole, and the blue pagoda roof that Hilltop Park has on the approach pattern, while landing. (Don't those children's-park designers know how to set up an airport? ). Slight banks and a lot of prayers. I hooked a wing on one of those streetlight poles once, oops.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 03:49 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Just installed this motor,using a 9x5 prop, i noticed motor mount was a little loose when i took off old motor,it wasnt the mount but the screws that hold it and they are inserted from INSIDE the pod !! What a pain to get at them so i could tighten it up. They wont come loose again as i glued the screw heads to foam.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Nov 08, 2012, 03:52 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
Just installed this motor,using a 9x5 prop, i noticed motor mount was a little loose when i took off old motor,it wasnt the mount but the screws that hold it and they are inserted from INSIDE the pod !! What a pain to get at them so i could tighten it up. They wont come loose again as i glued the screw heads to foam.
I drilled holes around the motor mount, put in epoxy, then inserted wood dowels 2" long coated with epoxy, and glued them to the plywood of the motor mount.

It's not going anywhere now.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 05:53 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstclyz View Post
Thanks. The sanding/paint/clear coat took a long time but did turn out pretty nice.
What did you use for the clear coat?
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Nov 08, 2012, 06:15 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
What did you use for the clear coat?
In fact how about sharing step by step of the preparing and painting, like materials needed,paint type ect ?? The plane looks GREAT !
Old Nov 08, 2012, 06:55 PM
BldrFlyr
Joined Jan 2012
87 Posts
I sanded the entire plane down with 220, then painted with Rustoleum 2x paint and Montana flat paint. Then clear coated the entire thing with Krylon 10min gloss. Since I had carbon stripes and rods in the foam and CA, I filled those areas with that light drywall spackle. I laminated certain areas as well. TOO MUCH WORK imo.
Fstclyz is offline Find More Posts by Fstclyz
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:18 PM
BldrFlyr
Joined Jan 2012
87 Posts
Flight Data

Here's some flight data (watts, current, etc) from different motors and props for reference.
Fstclyz is offline Find More Posts by Fstclyz
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:33 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
I sanded the entire plane down with 220, then painted with Rustoleum 2x paint and Montana flat paint. Then clear coated the entire thing with Krylon 10min gloss. Since I had carbon stripes and rods in the foam and CA, I filled those areas with that light drywall spackle. I laminated certain areas as well. TOO MUCH WORK imo.
thanks for the info, i think ill pass on all that work,it is just going to get scratched,dented and dinged up anyway
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:39 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,885 Posts
Big-ol'-box sitting at front door!!! Finally get to start wiring my beast! Ill probably run a build log to compile all modifications listed that I use and has been mentioned here.

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:55 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
Big-ol'-box sitting at front door!!! Finally get to start wiring my beast! Ill probably run a build log to compile all modifications listed that I use and has been mentioned here.

Chris
RTF, ARF, or Kit?
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:20 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Did you measure the before and after weight of the plane?
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Nov 09, 2012, 01:56 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
RTF, ARF, or Kit?
ARF... LED's almost in wing... Had to take some time to remove the spar tubes and re mount them in the wing... They were sticking out about 1/4" so the wing halves wouldnt go together Its all good now... waiting on the .5" carbon spar to come in... This thing they send is more of a weapon than a spar

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2012, 03:54 AM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Finally got around to getting a nav light installed in a wing! This isn't just any nav light, but a CREE 1 watt LED!

Here is a close up of the install (It consists of a wooden dowel as a mounting base, a piece of copper tube, and the LED mounted on special heatsink PCB, which inturn uses the copper as heatsink, these guys get HOT).

Here is a frontal view:

And finally an underside view where you can see it's full brightness :

Full build log located at http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....urfer-Buildlog
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat