HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2012, 12:37 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
I will most likely start going through structure and do some glueing this weekend. From what I have seen, the fuse is very light but looks well built. I am thinking about using a Turnigy Rotomax 50 on 10S as it was used here with good results. http://www.modelairplanenews.com/blo...stland-wyvern/
I like the idea of sharing notes and agree the retracts look a bit dodgy. Let's have some fun and I see you are just south of me. We should get a fly in together when they are completed.
Good idea to have it shipped, I drove 90 miles one way to Hesperia to pick up the plane today. What an obsession.

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 12:50 AM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Feb 2001
249 Posts
I saw that review as well and considered the rotomax. I went with the Rimfire because I read a lot of reports of thrown magnets and bearing issues with the HK motors.

The other option is the LADO RS333 retracts with their struts. They just don't seem as beefy as the Robarts, but I love their pricing and their new programmer/sequencer.
hawleaboy is offline Find More Posts by hawleaboy
Old Aug 09, 2012, 01:01 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
I have read the same thing about the Rotomax, hit or miss. You will get yours together before me and just may follow your lead. Those LADO retracts look really nice and will do some more research. Thanks.

Harry
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:00 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Was wondering what servos you plan on using.

Harry
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:59 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Feb 2001
249 Posts
I just mounted the servos. I normally use Hitec coreless, but a friend recommended Airtronics. I must say, I'm impressed, they are powerful and quite affordable and seem to have a good reputation. I'll send over the specifics later.

with regards to the lado's: A gent in the UK recommended the following:

Black Horse Wyvern retract refit (0 min 35 sec)

he's using the LADO RS333's with the Lado struts: OLEOSTRUT RS333 - DIMENSION : 180mm

The struts are a small diameter, and he says' so far- so good. I've opted for the Robarts because they have 1/2 struts and should be a little more sturdy. They definitely have a larger mounting surface as well.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:11 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
I saw that vid with the LADO's as well, very nice. I think the Robart is more substantial and you went in the right direction. I have a set of the Robart 1/4 scale gear on one of my planes that is rock solid - great product. This is my first plane with retracts and my first warbird so learning as I go. Really want to get started but my garage (insulated) was like an oven the last week. Was doing some repairs on a plane, work 10 min. - pool 10 min....

What do you think about that pilot in there? Not the worst but scale is way off.

Harry
Old Aug 12, 2012, 01:12 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
I am doing a dry fit today and having trouble with the wings a bit. Did you have any issues? I also got a Robart control valve to play around with the retracts as the stock one is not good. The gear is somewhat sloppy but might actually give them a go.

Harry
Old Aug 12, 2012, 04:34 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Feb 2001
249 Posts
The wings are a little challenging because of the large fillet on the fuse. Here's how I make it easier- place one wing panel in the socket-then slide the tube in from the other side. Then when sliding the last wing onto the wingtube, I use a large tounge depressor(fat Popsicle stick) under the fuse leading edge wing root- rest it on the top surface of the wing to use it as a guide. Once the wing makes it past the fillet it will slide easily.

I'll send photos tonight.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 04:46 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Thats a good idea, It got too hot in the garage to continue and usually end up breaking something. I did put one wing on, then the tube. There is a good 1/4" to clear at the leading edge. Thanks

Harry
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:23 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Thanks for the tip hauleaboy. I used a credit card to slip the wing on, worked like a charm. Here is my dry fit of the Wyvern.

Harry
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:46 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Feb 2001
249 Posts
it's looking great Harry! this bird is huge. I'm also building a ESM pilatus and the wyvern dwarfs it.

I did some calculations ( the aircraft is 1/5-1/6th scale= original had a 42 foot wing!) and this pilot should be the appropriate size: ( look for the RAF version)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=862996
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:17 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Believe I have the perfect pilot for it but it is in another plane of mine - don't laugh, a Piper Pawnee. He is too big (1/6 scale) for the Pawnee but looks great in it. May change him out later on, think I'll pay attention to the important things first. Thanks for the link though. It is a BIG BIRD!

Harry
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:33 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Feb 2001
249 Posts
Some updated photos. Still waiting for the retracts to finish.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:34 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Feb 2001
249 Posts
semi-assembled with motor and prop
Old Aug 18, 2012, 01:06 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Hey, looking good! I have been thinking about cutting out either 2 or all 4 areas from the cowl for cooling or adding some kind of scoop. That Savox servo is really powerful, was that on purpose? I am going out on a limb and have chosen these XQ 4013 servos - http://www.redwingrc.com/accessories...hd-8312tg.html Should be getting them next week.

Harry