HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2012, 12:16 AM
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Jul 2012
44 Posts
Build Log
1:10 Woods Hole R/V Tioga

Im at a stop on my PT build so I decided to start up something on a larger scale.
I searched through pages of post and tons of google images looking for likely candidates for my build but didnt find anything that fit my skill level budget and taste. I finally stumbled across the woods hole website and found a nice research vessel the Tigoa. The Tigoa is a 60' aluminum hulled medium range R/V with a compliment of 10.
http://www.whoi.edu/page.do?pid=8436

Something about its lines caught my eye and I have always liked deep sea exploration and am a big fan of Ballard. After I got home from work I picked up a build board and a few other supplies tomorrow Im off to the print shop to have the drawings printed out at full size.
I will be cutting the ribs from 1/4" poplar and planking the hull with 1/32 midwest birch ply with 6oz glass cloth and resin inside and out. Most of the superstructure will be styrene with brass and pvc bits thrown in at 1:10 scale Im looking at a length of 60" and a beam of just over 17" dry weight somewhere around 20 lbs Im thinking.
If anyone is looking for a rigid light and cheap build board or bench top try your local building supply and look for hollow core closet doors. I picked up a 24x72 door without frame or hardware and no knob hole for $10 it had minor damage to one side so they discounted it 50%.
Cheers!
scratchbldr is offline Find More Posts by scratchbldr
Last edited by scratchbldr; Aug 05, 2012 at 08:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2012, 12:58 AM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2006
594 Posts
Hey, another local. Where do you run your boats in Cypress?
mitchlandry is offline Find More Posts by mitchlandry
Old Aug 05, 2012, 02:22 AM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,607 Posts
I've got the plans somewhere on my drive, I wanted to build her at some stage looking forward to this.

Nick
nick_75au is online now Find More Posts by nick_75au
Old Aug 05, 2012, 07:25 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,315 Posts
That's "Tioga"
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1062434

Neat! 6 feet (~2m) in 1:10 scale... lots of opportunity for detail...

patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Last edited by patmat2350; Aug 05, 2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:08 AM
Joined Jul 2012
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchlandry View Post
Hey, another local. Where do you run your boats in Cypress?
I'm in fairfield there's about 10 good size lakes through out the area within a mile of me.

And Patman I was saying Tioga also untill I downloaded the plans and started reading the specs its Tigoa.
(Edit) lol reading the Woods hole page it says tigoa looking at the pictures of the vessel the stern lettering reads tioga my bad.
Last edited by scratchbldr; Aug 05, 2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:08 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,161 Posts
I was reading Tioga also... TiGOA...TiGOA....

Nice that they provided all the line on their website.

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Aug 05, 2012, 02:39 PM
Joined Jul 2012
44 Posts
I hit the printshop this morning unfortunately they were having problems with scaling the drawings so I settled for 1:32 scale drawings. I then spent the rest of the morning fighting my poor math skills scaling the drawings up to 1:10. You just dont realize how big something will be till it's drawn out full size lol this is going to be a good size boat.
Im using a roll of 36"x50' craft paper to draw everything out.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:12 AM
Joined Jul 2012
44 Posts
Some of the tools I'm using.

Getting started with some grid lines.

Neat little cheater.

Main deck outline.

Hull profile

Tonight after work I'll start on the keel lines and framing drawings.

Cheers!
Old Aug 06, 2012, 07:03 PM
Olympia WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,024 Posts
What about taking the 1:32 drawing and using sections scale them up again on 11 x 17 copy paper size? I have done this many times and then just tape the pieces together for the full size. Jerryj98501
jerryj98501 is offline Find More Posts by jerryj98501
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:44 PM
Joined Jul 2012
44 Posts
I thoughtb about that but was happy with the drawings so far my buddy a couple of houses down volenteered to drag them into cad and have them printed full scale for me. But I'm cheap impatient and like to solve problems with my brain and hands lol. So far I'm noticing drawing them myself is showing me little details I need to be aware of when it comes to actually start making sawdust.
pluses it is a constant source of amusement for my oldest son the math genious the boy is finished with high school math before his senior year and is taking college phisics. I have to mention we are now the proud parents of a United States marine cantidate. He Meps thursday and swears in Friday. at 17 with a scholarship waiting to Texas a &m for engineering and another year of school its a big show of discipline. The kid scored an un studied 92 on his pre asfab, avionics or ae is his goal. Just a proud Pappa bragging sorry for the derail.

Cheers!
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:15 PM
Joined Jul 2012
44 Posts
It's been a bit since I updated but I have been collecting materials and working on the drawings as work and sleep allow lol. I now have the keel cut and 5 of the 13 ribs scaled and cut from foamcore so I can do a mockup to check my math before I start cutting the ply. I actually have a day off tomorrow so hopefully I can work on it more.

Cheers!
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:01 AM
United States, OH, Richfield
Joined Aug 2007
1,206 Posts
Naughty boy... You know we live, eat and breathe for pictures.
pops52 is offline Find More Posts by pops52
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:10 PM
Joined Jul 2012
44 Posts
Not much to show at the moment had to sideline it for a week or two due to work. On top of it all Tuesday the kid across the street from us ran the stop sign and hit my wifes car nearly totalled it and put my wife in the hospital overnight. So with dealing with the insurance people rental cars and police reports I've been very busy lol. All seems to be settling down though he admitted fault his insurance is paying for Toyota to repair the van all medical bills and then some and provided us with a new Yukon to drive in the meantime. The wifes doing good but very sore and will make a full recovery.

Cheers!
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:22 PM
no such thing as to many boats
Joined May 2010
1,741 Posts
Glad to hear your wife is ok .
louie R/C NUT is offline Find More Posts by louie R/C NUT
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:41 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,534 Posts
Speaking from experience when you get hurt in a car accident, it sucks. Glad to hear that the Mrs. is ok, the boat can wait.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat