SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by 3d astronaut, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 02:13 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,108 Posts
Mini-Review
Wltoys V929 Quad Copter (Blade mqx clone)

A few friends have asked me to write up a review on the Wltoys V929 quad copter. Here it is:

It is basically a 99% Blade MQX clone. By 99% I mean 99% of the parts are interchangeable. I purchased mine here from banggood (free shipping yay!) It is a Chinese based distributor. I paid $39.66 shipped to my door ready to fly. There are other retailers out there but banggood seems to have the best deal.

This IS NOT spektrum/dsm2 compatible. It will however work with the popular Turnigy 9x radio without having to do any modifications.

The pros:
Its a $37 quad copter ready to fly with a transmitter, 500mah 1cell battery and a charger.
It has local hobby shop support (Blade mqx parts available locally).
Works with Turnigy 9x radio.
It can handle a relatively small payload such as the 808 keychain cameras/micro fpv gear.
It is capable of doing programmed "flips" in forward, backward or side to side.
It can "roll" in a big loop just like the mqx.
It is absurdly durable. I have crashed this thing into the ceiling fan, the hard ground at the field, the concrete, my parents sliding glass door when visiting (whoops lol) and I have not had to replace a single part yet.
Its quite stable and holds its position fairly well if you take the time to balance out the props/make sure the battery is centered.
It uses the same battery as the blade 120sr so again, local battery packs at the lhs.

The Cons:
Not quite as stable as the mqx but man is it close.
It comes with that ugly sad lady bug canopy.
The updated models are arriving with more and more features so you may want to wait a while for a finalized version if you aren't comfortable modding.
It comes all the way from China and takes almost 3 weeks to arrive.
It will not work with the Spektrum brand radios.
The stock tx is rather small (it works well though!).

Wrap up:

Overall I am very happy with this thing. It has been quite the experience in learning how to fly a quad without having to spend a ton of money. Practically 1/4 the cost of an mqx. The durability/stability/maneuverability is amazing and for the price, I could not be happier.

They are still updating this thing and shipping out new units every few weeks. Some additions have been different modes on the transmitter, firmware, Led lights etc.

Here is a link to where I bought mine from but feel free to do your own research and find the best deal!

Check out the rcg thread over here
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 3d astronaut; Apr 13, 2014 at 08:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:21 AM
Stockton CA.
Joined May 2007
766 Posts
I received mine today. I dont have the mqx ,i cant compare them, but i like how It flys. With 20%, i can fly it inside my bedroom and bathroom. I am going to try the keychain cam tomorrow. By the way, how do u bind it to the 9x? Thx. I use Spektrum,but I also want to try out the popular 9x.
lrplin is online now Find More Posts by lrplin
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:08 PM
Joined Sep 2011
4,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrplin View Post
I received mine today. I dont have the mqx ,i cant compare them, but i like how It flys. With 20%, i can fly it inside my bedroom and bathroom. I am going to try the keychain cam tomorrow. By the way, how do u bind it to the 9x? Thx. I use Spektrum,but I also want to try out the popular 9x.
They are INSANELY similar lol. I actually enjoy flying my 929 more than the mqx as I can still see the flying price tag on the mqx

The 9x bind process is insanely simple actually. You need to secure the quad (just in case it spins up its rotors on bind), press and hold the bind button located on the back of the transmitter and power it on, you can then set it down and plug in the quad. Whala! It will bind in a few seconds. The 9x is an awesome transmitter. You can even make the 9x spektrum compatible with a spektrum "rtf" transmitter or something like a dx4 or 5e.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Aug 21, 2012, 06:47 AM
Australia, NSW, Nowra
Joined Mar 2012
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudflying View Post
They are INSANELY similar lol. I actually enjoy flying my 929 more than the mqx as I can still see the flying price tag on the mqx

The 9x bind process is insanely simple actually. You need to secure the quad (just in case it spins up its rotors on bind), press and hold the bind button located on the back of the transmitter and power it on, you can then set it down and plug in the quad. Whala! It will bind in a few seconds. The 9x is an awesome transmitter. You can even make the 9x spektrum compatible with a spektrum "rtf" transmitter or something like a dx4 or 5e.
Do you need to keep the bind button depressed or can you release it after switching the TX on?

I have a FlyskyFZ-TH9X , I believe that it should bind with the 929 , is that correct?
Thanks
BlindFreddy is offline Find More Posts by BlindFreddy
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:23 AM
Joined Sep 2011
4,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindFreddy View Post
Do you need to keep the bind button depressed or can you release it after switching the TX on?

I have a FlyskyFZ-TH9X , I believe that it should bind with the 929 , is that correct?
Thanks
Im assuming its the same for the flysky 9x as they are ideally the same. I depress the button after I switch it on. My 9x is running er9x so it might be different but I would try this method first!

As far as compatibility, it has been confirmed in the thread listed above that it works with all versions of the 9x.

Hope this helps!
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Aug 21, 2012, 03:26 PM
Australia, NSW, Nowra
Joined Mar 2012
87 Posts
Quote:
Im assuming its the same for the flysky 9x as they are ideally the same. I depress the button after I switch it on. My 9x is running er9x so it might be different but I would try this method first!

As far as compatibility, it has been confirmed in the thread listed above that it works with all versions of the 9x.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the reply . I will try again later tonight.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:29 AM
Australia, NSW, Nowra
Joined Mar 2012
87 Posts
All good and working.. thanks
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:19 PM
Joined Jan 2009
223 Posts
9X help

Quote:

Hi There
I have a HK Mini Beetle, and a 9X. When I bind the 9X to the quad it fly's grate except the trims don't seem to do anything. Can you give me a step by step on the 9X V2 setup, Or a website
that mite help.
Thank you
Dalef is online now Find More Posts by Dalef
Old Aug 25, 2012, 04:36 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,157 Posts
What about this one ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2610639185...ht_9383wt_1186
and a onboard vid
UDIR/C U816 Using SC508 Mini DVR Camera (1 min 20 sec)

Andy
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain