HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 04, 2012, 11:29 AM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Discussion
Looking for something bigger.

After a few years building and sailing scratch built Footys, I want to get something a bit bigger with some more presence on the water for my birthday in about a week; there are no sailing clubs near me so I don't really have anyone to sail with or race, but at some point I would like to get into racing (there are, however, quite a few clubs on long island, where I will be attending college after I finish with the local college, who sail any number of classes). I normally sail on Lake Cayuga, which is too big to be very sheltered.

The boat would also need to be fairly compact, or taken apart with basic tools as to fit in the trunk of my coupe. I like the look of vintage wood and brass, and I enjoy working with them. Recently I have wanted to build the Marblehead 'Pocohontas' but at 50" long it seems abit too big (my fiancee is very understanding about my boats and even sails some her self, but 50" is abit much). From what I understand though, a 36/600 is basically a 3/4th scale 50/800? So perhaps that could be the ticket. My LHS also has a Velva, which being so late in the season might be a good boat to get out there on. I also like to tinker, so modifications are no problem.

I'd like to keep it to a max of about $500 ready to go, I have a full range 2.4ghz radio and receiver and a hand full of standard size servos, along with a few battery packs (NiMh 4 cell, AA size). So really it would just be the cost of the hull, rig and maybe a larger servo for the sails, unless I went RTS or nearly.

I know no one boat is THE answer, and there are many out there that are great boats; I'm just looking for some suggestions. Thanks.
Yellow Baron is offline Find More Posts by Yellow Baron
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2012, 12:33 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,679 Posts
You're a builder, YB and you like wood and brass... I think I would pass on the Vela route- and find a classic 36/600 or 50/800 design and go to work! "Late in the season" = beginning of building season!

When you say "presence" what do you mean? Just bigger than the footy or something that has lots of scale detail?

For racing, the ususal advice applies, find out what people are racing in the area you plan to sail- there could be good deals on used boats.
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Aug 04, 2012, 01:09 PM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Bigger I guess, maybe some detail, or a clean and classy classic pond yacht type deck fittings.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 01:33 PM
BabyBootLegger
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
655 Posts
You may want to inquire about the AMYA Canterbury.
It is only 48" in length and is very popular. Fits in the trunk, well.
Just use the search option here on the forum for builds and for sale.
sunworksco is offline Find More Posts by sunworksco
Old Aug 04, 2012, 01:42 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
The Canterbury J? It's still a bit bigger than I can really fit in my trunk, I'd have to break the mast down into 2 or 3 sections.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 02:27 PM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2012
488 Posts
If you can find one the Seawind is a nice looking boat that sails well.
seabee CE is offline Find More Posts by seabee CE
Old Aug 04, 2012, 02:36 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
Baron, I live on the lake right to the east of you, begins with an "S", so come on over and do some sailing with me.

Right now I'm building a T37. All wood, small enough to be transported easily yet big enough to handle some water. So far it's a nice build.
Fokker Ace is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Ace
Old Aug 04, 2012, 03:46 PM
Joined Jan 2006
555 Posts
I would either consider a star 45 or a rg65. Both have free plans and competitive boats can be built from wood.
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Aug 04, 2012, 05:32 PM
palmcoastfl
Joined Aug 2003
120 Posts
There is also the US12 class

http://www.us12sailboats.com/aboutus12.htm

I'm just about to start on this boat, lots of fun to sail.
tigman is online now Find More Posts by tigman
Old Aug 04, 2012, 07:31 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
I think I'm going to buy an inexpensive Phantom 1M from Hobbyking to sail for the rest of the season and start on a vintage 36/600 (modified in a few ways, but still class legal) this fall. That way I can have people sail on the cheap boat if they'd like and not have to risk one of my hand built boats on a new sailor.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 08:00 PM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Baron View Post
I think I'm going to buy an inexpensive Phantom 1M from Hobbyking to sail for the rest of the season....
For something just slightly smaller, also have a look at the Surmount from the same source (I have just bought one, assembling it in the next few days) - Phantom is 1 metre, Surmount is 800 mm - might be better if you are planning to transport it rigged.

These are almost ready to sail boats - assemble them, add your own two channel radio and off you go.... looks like you enjoy building so these may not suit, but it may fill the gap between builds..... You will also to source some lead shot for the keel bulb for either of these boats.

Much discussion and lots of support on both these boats at www.shipshaperc.com
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Last edited by mrpenguin; Aug 04, 2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 09:51 PM
BabyBootLegger
Joined Nov 2010
655 Posts
The Canterbury fits in most trunks.
A trick to haul your full-length mast is to make a Dacron quiver with super magnets for fastening down to the roof of your car. Glue the super magnets to the inside of the quiver or use the magnet sign stock for signage on vehicles and just slide the flat magnet sheet inside the quiver.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 09:54 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,228 Posts
Is that a pay for information site?
Those hi boats would not be my first choice for a boat, most do not sail well out of the box. Better choices out there, nirvana, victor v32 p, or a Victoria just to name a few. If you build rg65 would be another to look at. Plenty of free plans out there. Even a hull and deck combo for thirty bucks.
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Aug 04, 2012, 10:00 PM
BabyBootLegger
Joined Nov 2010
655 Posts
My son has a Nirvana, new in the box for only $100.00+ shipping.
Last edited by sunworksco; Aug 05, 2012 at 12:48 AM.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 10:09 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunworksco View Post
My son has a Nirvana, new in the box for only $1000.00+ shipping.
How much ?
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy