HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by 33champ, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 10:45 AM
United States, IL, Union
Joined Aug 2012
33 Posts
Discussion
Giant super sportster pitch up problem

My giant 82" super sportster has a problem. At full throttle the plane pitches up uncontrolably. Trimming doesnt help, plus i dont want to strip out the servos. So i pitched the engine down to balance out the lift, and it still pitches up majorly. I have to fly it with 80% of the elevator down just to keep it level. How can i fix this problem? Would i have to cut out the stab and adjust the stab trim? I need some advice
33champ is offline Find More Posts by 33champ
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2013, 07:57 AM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
665 Posts
Did you ever get this straightened out? It sounds like the CG is too tail heavy. I just acquired a Giant Super Sportster and this thread has me wondering if the CG in the manual is off.
jwellsy is offline Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:17 AM
United States, IL, Union
Joined Aug 2012
33 Posts
I am still having this problem. I have come to some conclusions-

1. Whoever built the plane messed up on the wing. The fuse length is 57" but the wing is 82". The way it sits when mounted is like an up elevator instead of just the diheydral. This causes wayyy too much lift for the elevator to balance. at half throttle and full trim, the plane actually fly's straight, but when i gun it, it shoots straight up.
2. I have no clue..... iv put on weights, and everything to try and get it to fly straight. They helped, but still no good. It doesn't fly tailheavy, i believe its just a wing building problem.

Do you have the giant great planes one?
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:46 AM
Joined Aug 2012
665 Posts
I just bought one unmolested new in the box, and was looking for info. That's how I found your thread.

I would check the wing and horizontal stab with an incident gauge.

I've noticed several planes that require different trims at different speeds. Do you have a 2.4 radio? See if your radio can mix in elevator with throttle, so the the higher the throttle the more down trim you have. That's kind of a work around, but should work.

Have you tried adding washers to the engine mount for more down thrust? That might increase your trimmed out level flight speed. But, if you get too much down thrust when you back off the throttle it will balloon up because it won't be being pulled down as much.

Do you want any measurements from this unmolested kit?
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:21 PM
United States, IL, Union
Joined Aug 2012
33 Posts
I have tried the downward thrust, i truely believe the wing is too big for the fuse and it causes an uncorrectable amount of lift.
And yes, what are the specs on your giant sportster?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:57 AM
Joined Aug 2012
665 Posts
The specs out of the manual say:

Wingspan: 82 in [2085 mm]
Wing Area: 1293 sq in [83.4 dm2]
Weight: 13-14.5 lb [5850-6575 g]
Wing Loading: 23-25 oz/sq ft [70-79 g/dm2]
Length: 72 in [1820 mm]
Radio: 4-5 channel transmitter, 6-7 servos
Engine: 1.60-2.00 cu in [26-33 cc] 2-stroke,
1.20-2.00 cu in [20-33 cc] 4-stroke,
2 cu in [32 cc] gas
Old Aug 07, 2013, 08:10 PM
United States, IL, Union
Joined Aug 2012
33 Posts
My wing is 82"
the length is 59"

something's not right!
Old Aug 08, 2013, 10:05 PM
Joined Aug 2012
665 Posts
Mine is not put together, but I can give you some numbers for you to think about.
Fuselage length from firewall to aft vertical trailing edge : 56"
Rudder at widest point : 6"
Cowl length : 8"

Mine didn't come with a spinner, but if you figure the spinner is 2" long plus the cowl/firewall overlap, then that would all add up to 72".
Old Sep 04, 2013, 09:38 PM
GOTTA FLY STRIGHT UP
United States, FL, Lake City
Joined Jun 2012
354 Posts
Hi guys

Someone gave me a giant super sportster wing. so I ordered the rudder/ stab ,cowl, cockpit cover and spinner.
I am making the fuse myself of balsa covered foam. today I was working on the wing cutout and the plane specs. say that the Incidences are 1" up on the leading edge, and 0" for the stab.
this is a lot in MHOP. I bet this is the reason for the pitching.

http://www.greatplanes.com/techsupport/technotes.html
The giant super sportster is down 44 planes in the list. check it out.

I will be finished in a week or so. I will post here what I find out on my build.
my power is electric, 3300 watt Motor, that is 4.25 HP. I did not put any down or right thrust in the motor mount. we will see!!!

Bill
WILLIAM M is offline Find More Posts by WILLIAM M
Old Sep 06, 2013, 07:06 PM
GOTTA FLY STRIGHT UP
Joined Jun 2012
354 Posts
Bills Giant Super Sportster

Hi guys
I am coming along good on the plane. Today I mounted the stab and rudder. and cut out the turtle back from foam, and glued it on.
The wing is 1 " incidence. Since the wing is 16 " wide that is 1/16" per inch.
I raised the stab LE up 3/16 to reduce the wing to .5" incidence.
I built the stab and rudder, removable so I can make any future adjustments.
I hope this corrects the problem of pitching up.

CG: you can figure the CG here. http://adamone.rchomepage.com/cg_calc.htm

The CG at the max. and min. are 6.91" and 5.31" from LE.

The manual say's it is 5 1/4" ?????? something is not right, this will make it nose heavy.

your comments please.

Bill
Last edited by WILLIAM M; Sep 10, 2013 at 07:09 AM. Reason: correct balance wording
Old Sep 22, 2013, 06:39 PM
GOTTA FLY STRIGHT UP
Joined Jun 2012
354 Posts
33champ

Yesterday the Giant Super Sportster I built had it's maiden flight. In the air It needed trim to 56 on the down side of the elevator. and small amounts on the other trims. There was no pitching up at full power.
It flew beautiful. upon landing it made the picture perfect landing.

As I said in a prior post that the specs. call for a 1" incidence, and I reduced it to 1/2" after seeing your pitch up post.
It could have been even less because I still needed a lot of down trim.

If I had your plane, I would recut the rudder mounting surface to give it more down.
I moved my stab on the traiing edge down 3/16" and could have done more.
I have made the rudder and stab removable so I can make any future adjustments, also I can transport it easier.

I hope this helps

Bill