SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Kauz, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 09:32 AM
Somewhere in the Black Forest
Joined Oct 2009
453 Posts
Gallery
Aeronaut Nightfighter Heinkel He-219

The He-219 is one of my oldest models that is still in service. I built her in 1996 and she is equipped with two 400 class geared brush motors. The reduction ratio is 1:2.64, driving Aeronaut carbon electric propellers with the dimensions 8.5x6" drawing a static current of about 17amps. In the beginning I flew her with ten 1700mAh nicd cells weighing 600grs, but switched then several years ago to lipos with 2500mAh of capacity which only weigh 225grs. The overall weight of the model is now 1400grs. Compared to modern brushless powered models she lacks of course performance in top speed and climbs, but all in all she is a good to handle model with flight times around 10 minutes and a look in the air that's second to none. The geared motors in their large nacelles produce a sound that could make you believe it's real one
The Heinkel is built up of a glass- fibre fuselage and engine nacelles and the wing and tail feathers made of balsa wood. I covered my particular model with solar-tex and painted it using an airbrush.

Frank
Kauz is offline Find More Posts by Kauz
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Kauz; Aug 04, 2012 at 10:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2012, 12:42 PM
Keep calm and don't blink
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
2,090 Posts
Wonderful model Kauz, looks just like a plastic scale kit. The Owl has always been a favourite of mine and she sure looks scale in the air.

One teensy weensy little niggle. Your pilots - they are way off scale. The Owl was quite a huge beast - see pic below. If you are still able to get into the cockpit it would look good if they were replaced. Not sure what scale your model is, but HobbyKing and other model shops have some great looking pilots available now.

Great job.

KiwiKid is offline Find More Posts by KiwiKid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SLS for the Calypso Cobra
Old Aug 07, 2012, 04:41 AM
Joined Oct 2009
453 Posts
You are right, they are too big. But when I built her way back then there wasn't much to choose of on the market, I didn't have a computer and the internet...what's that? So you get used to the two guys over the years By the way, there are a lot of things I would change if I'd build her nowadays. Brushless motors, one servo for each aileron...But you can take off the canopy to change the battery, so maybe I will switch to more scale pilots some day.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Albatros DV.a....the third ;-)
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:31 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3 Posts
Great job!

The Eagle Owl looks fantastic. I actually have the Aeronaut He-219 kit and would be curious to hear the modifications you'd recommend as I still haven't started assembly, thanks.
wmsjr is offline Find More Posts by wmsjr
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:05 PM
Joined Oct 2009
453 Posts
Thanks wmsjr :-) Congrats for your kit, it's a great model! The construction is well-conceived and so there are only a few modifictions i would recommend. First of all is of course the drive unit, which I would do with brushless motors instead of the geared brushed ones. But I guess you planned this too. Next I would use two single servos for the ailerons instead of the one placed in the center part of the wing as per the plan. And the third one ( I did this on my initial build back in the 90's), is to use a hexagonal mount used for holding the bodies of 1\10th scale model cars and a snap pin to hold down the rear end of the canopy. That's much better than the screw shown in the plan as it eases battery change quite a lot. It's easier to do and much faster and more comfortable than screwing in and out such a small screw every time you have to change the battery. I'll take a photo the next days, so you can see what I mean and how I did it. Oh and yes, I changed the control horns for the ailerons too, as the clamped wire in the stock ones always bends when you use higher rates and I didn't like that. That's all so far, as I mentioned before there's little to change as this kit really has a high quality level. If you have any other questions feel free to ask ;-)

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:58 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3 Posts
Thanks Frank, I appreciate the guidance and was thinking the same thing about the brushless motors. By the way, how hard is the Uhu to hand launch? I was thinking about retracts though am leery of the weight penalty. Also, are you aware of an English translation for the plans/instructions as my German is pretty rusty.

Thanks again,

Bill
wmsjr is offline Find More Posts by wmsjr
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:26 AM
Love Flying History
United States, VA, Front Royal
Joined Sep 2011
811 Posts
Frank,
I can't get over the realisum that you give your planes. I know that this one looks amazing in the air as well. Would like to see a flight video of this bird.
Again my Friend great work!

Loyd
mustangloyd is offline Find More Posts by mustangloyd
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:50 AM
Joined Oct 2009
453 Posts
Thank you Loyd,
it's strange although this model is one of my oldest birds I've never thought of filming her. Guess my Wife will have a new task, either this fall if the weather will fit or next spring. I would like to lean back in my chair and just watch her fly too ;-)

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:18 PM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
Nice work Herr Kauz!
I've been wanting to get the Aeronaut Uhu, but shipping costs are astronomical to Oz
Never mind, I have two sets of plans for RC versions of the model and it's on my list to build as soon as I get my "man cave" built in the back yard. I want to build one about 1.400 mm wingspan and fit retracts - I also wish to over-power it a little so that it impresses everyone at my club field as the fantastic destroyer that the real one was.
All the best wishes for the season.
Steve
yarrumevets is offline Find More Posts by yarrumevets
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:40 PM
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
2,090 Posts
Hey Steve, have you been following Stacker's build? Turned out to be quite a mission, but he is almost finished: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1229708
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:18 PM
Joined Oct 2009
453 Posts
Vielen Dank Herr Steve ;-) Sorry for the late answer but I haven't checked my blog for some weeks due to another project that ties me to the building board :-). When I'm finished I will post an update on my Heinkel. I powered her up early in fall, using two brushless outrunners and the results were great! The photos and build report will (hopefully) be online within the next weeks when my current project is done.

Cheers,
Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:30 PM
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
2,090 Posts
Frank, the way to spot if you have a response on your blog is simply to subscribe to your own blog. In this way you will receive an email when someone makes a posting.
RCG Plus Member