HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:05 PM
THE PUBLIC IS THE PROBLEM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2012
3,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo5 View Post
Comparing the V-tail to the tri: is it easier to see and keep the orientation straight? I'm thinking it should be, but don't have any first hand experience (yet).

cheers,
Andrew
Yeah orientation problems are a thing of the past. There is no mistaking which one is the tail now. I still fly with a foam canopy to protect the KK2 & help (also makes it look more badassss)
subaru4wd is online now Find More Posts by subaru4wd
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:07 AM
Joined Apr 2012
507 Posts
Why dont you use v1.3 on the kk2 now kapteinKUK seems to have released it...I havent been following the kk2 thread for a while now and it seems there have been some massive leaps made by KK...
Akcopter is offline Find More Posts by Akcopter
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:16 AM
Joined Aug 2012
3,296 Posts
I have been following the progress in the KK2 main thread and yes, KK has come along way with the new v1.3 firmware. I haven't yet used it because I have been too busy with some other stuff. The HellaCopter has been hanging up for the past 2 or 3 days. Last time I flew it I found one of the 4mm shafts on my DT750 motor was bent I have only flown these new motors maybe 4 or 5 times... and already a shaft is bent. So I will have to use one of my old DT750's and I have been too lazy lately.

I just ordered some FPV stuff that I am waiting for. So the next chapter begins!
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:59 AM
Joined Apr 2012
507 Posts
Man you are moving really fast and I am loving your progress.... Its so great you are self sufficient...I have to wait for my hobby allowances every month to spend on such stuff....engineering students like myself find ourselves trapped more than often in situations like these where one wants to move fast but funds are defficient...man I need to get that part-time job and get my own FPV gear......Anyways great progress !!!!
Akcopter is offline Find More Posts by Akcopter
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:22 AM
Joined Aug 2012
3,296 Posts
I have not worked in almost 2 years

I am a stay at home father. I am just lucky to have a wife that loves me and supports me with my hobbies. This is not my only Hobby, I use some of my other hobbies to generate a little income and I use that income to keep the HellaCopter in the air.

All the FPV gear was bought by selling off my 450mm quad and some other stuff on ebay, here is what I have comming to me:

FoxTechFPV 5.8GHz 200mw vTX & rTX combo: http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-58...-mi-p-178.html
The 808 #16 V2 Camera - 120 Lense - 720P HD Video & Live Video Output: http://www.ebay.com/itm/180937263580...84.m1423.l2649

I also placed a hobby king order for some odds-n-ends that I am in need of. And a RCTimer Order so I can replace the 4mm shafts on my new DT750's and use real prop adapters.

I have a few updated photo's to add. The first photo's of the HellaCopter that are NOT taken with my cellphone. Stay tuned....
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:44 AM
Joined Aug 2012
3,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akcopter View Post
Why dont you use v1.3 on the kk2 now kapteinKUK seems to have released it...I havent been following the kk2 thread for a while now and it seems there have been some massive leaps made by KK...
Last night I updated to 1.4 and WOW
Old Nov 06, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Aug 2012
3,296 Posts
Got some updated pix last night. This is after replacing the two motor bells on my front arms. I bent one of the 4mm shafts on my new DT750's already, good thing I had the 3 spare DT750's on the bench. These motors are simple to repair, and a couple minutes later its as if I have 2 new motors again!

I wanted something that would protect the KK2 board, and shield it from the breeze. I am not sure if wind or breeze has any effect on the ACC or Gyro's, but this can't hurt.

My new FrSky Telemetry Receiver, and a close-up of my KK2 connections.

I Freaking LOVE this new module & receiver! No longer should the HellaCopter lose signal and fall from the sky!!

Here is how my antenna are setup for now:

What was once a bent DT750 is now:

My new(er) ESC's. With the programming pads exposed for future firmware updates:

My new & improved battery mount:

I am charging all my batteries as I type. Planning on meeting with some locals and doing some flying. I am hoping my Cameraman shows up so I can get some good footage
Old Nov 06, 2012, 11:43 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
I enjoy my 808, but be careful flying FPV with it. I tried but lose far too much detail and there is too much distortion to fly comfortably. I ended up ordering a sony with the wide dynamic range so I can actually see where I'm going in flight.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:07 PM
Joined Aug 2012
3,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
I enjoy my 808, but be careful flying FPV with it. I tried but lose far too much detail and there is too much distortion to fly comfortably. I ended up ordering a sony with the wide dynamic range so I can actually see where I'm going in flight.
Really. I saw a video of some guy using it and it looked great.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:22 PM
<Marty>
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined Jul 2011
1,776 Posts
how hard was it to get the old shafts out? i want to put collet prop adapters on my dt750s cause using a lock nut makes the props blade tracking out of alignment ...i have some 4mm ejector rod that is perfect for making shafts. I use it to make custom Heli main shafts and it is extremely rigid, never bent one yet...and it is a true 4mm not the 3.96mm like a lot of shafts that are advertised as 4mm...did you use a drill press to push the old shafts out or a vice? i have both but wondered what would work best...also did you use any heat to help the old shafts release from the bell?

thanks a bunch...
magic_marty is offline Find More Posts by magic_marty
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:18 PM
Emress
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Nov 2011
1,934 Posts
i wish i had "locals" that do MRs
sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:25 PM
Joined Aug 2012
3,296 Posts
I used a vice and a 5mm deep socket and pressed the shafts out. Im not sure if they are 4mm or 3.XX but this is the link for them:
http://rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goo...8&productname=

I ordered some more so I could replace the shafts on my rear two motors. Maybe i'll put together a video of the process... but its really not that difficult.

I took the V-tail out and met up with a couple other MR's. I hovered for less than 30 seconds before one of the rear motors threw a prop
It missed the 3 of us by only a few feet, and struck a tree behind us. The vtail immediately dropped and broke 2 other props, 2 motor mounts broke loose... and stuffed full of dirt.

It didn't take but a couple minutes to make the necessary repairs, and get new props on it. But on the 2nd flight, after only a minute or two, my battery alarm starts to go off. So i start to descend and return to us, and i see one arm drop, i hear all the motors spool up for dear life, and i stuffed the front-left arm into the ground from maybe 8' Left a crater and broke a few more props, did a number on the V-tail.

It took only a little longer to make the repairs this time. But I ran out of 10" props so I put a pair of 11" props up front, and kept the 10" props on the rear. It flew funny, but it hovered. I kept it in the air for a minute or two, and decided to start flying around. I turned, lost orientation real quick but was still only a few feet above ground. I ended up turning right, when I wanted to turn left, and slammed the arm into the ground... resulting in a cartwheel, one lost prop, one loose motor mount.

After that I threw in the towel and decided to come home. Once home I put a fresh set of 10" props, a new 4s battery, and hovered in my front yard for 6min... draining the battery without a single problem

Son of a 'ing
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:38 PM
Joined Aug 2012
3,296 Posts
Not the type of video I wanted to come home to edit.

But this is all I got today:
Still in the testing phase I guess.... (0 min 49 sec)
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:47 PM
Emress
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Nov 2011
1,934 Posts
ive been doing the same trying to get a flip, but mine hasnt been so unlucky. i loose 2 props on every attempt though... so much for 18 new props.
sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Aug 2012
3,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbow2 View Post
ive been doing the same trying to get a flip, but mine hasnt been so unlucky. i loose 2 props on every attempt though... so much for 18 new props.
I wasnt trying to flip.

I was trying to hover to a landing.