Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 01, 2012, 12:37 PM
THE PUBLIC IS THE PROBLEM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2012
3,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akcopter View Post
Man you are getting me all impatient ...how long before we see this in the air ....!!!
I could have it in the air in a few hours... i just have to solder connectors to the motors, plug them in and mount props & my KK2 board. But we have some pretty crappy weather right now, and my garage is damp & cold, and not very inviting.

Even if I did have it flying, I don't think I'd attempt to fly in this weather. Plans are to get together with some other RC buddy's tomorrow and I want to have it flying by then.
subaru4wd is online now Find More Posts by subaru4wd
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:22 PM
Joined Aug 2012
3,289 Posts
Okay guys... just a short update

I spent a couple hours in the garage and soldered every last thing that needed solder, setup the motor rotation & mounted my KK2 board. I was shocked to see the KK2 already had a motor layout for the V-Tail, i assumed I would need to use Y4 and do some mixer editing.

I didn't have enough 11" props, so I used 10x4.5 with a 4s battery and did some test's. I quickly found out my two rear motors were reversed and needed to be swapped... but after that it was just a matter of getting the beast into the air.

At first it wanted to fly nose down, it would not level itself or hold position. I then realized my PI values were all messed up because I was in the middle of tuning the KK2 for my quad, when I last flew it.

A quick edit of the PI and a re-calibration of the sensors and she flew great! I love large frames, I will probably never fly that tiny quad again. Well, not until I wreck this thing in a burning fire and have to re-re-rebuild it again.

No pictures yet but tomorrow I promise to return with not only pix, but Video
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:14 AM
Joined Aug 2012
100 Posts
Those P settings have me all confused, would you mind posting yours for the quad setup aswell as v-tail?
AeroRoo is offline Find More Posts by AeroRoo
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:00 PM
Joined Aug 2012
3,289 Posts
Right now I am flying the V-Tail with factory default settings. I get frusterated trying to tune the KK2. It seems to fly just fine with the default settings, so I think i'll just keep it like this for a while.

I dont have any pictures, just yet... but as promised, here is some video:
The RETURN of the HellaCopter (5 min 11 sec)
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:42 AM
Joined Aug 2012
100 Posts
What are a few changes you've noticed between the v-tail's handling compared to the quad?
AeroRoo is offline Find More Posts by AeroRoo
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:35 AM
Joined Aug 2012
3,289 Posts
Stability & the yaw authority.

It flys different than the quad does.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:31 PM
Joined Apr 2012
507 Posts
And how is the flight experience different than your tricopter...is the tail drift better.......how is the yaw authority...and also i would like to see more stability dialed into the kk2...I think a more stable flight is possible ...what do you think........
Akcopter is offline Find More Posts by Akcopter
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:36 PM
Joined Aug 2012
3,289 Posts
Yes I know this KK2 is capable of far more than we are getting out of it. And most of the issue is the lack of tuning.

The yaw authority on the V-tail is insane. You turn it, it turns. You stop, it stops. No longer does the tail drift and do whatever it wants. This might be because my Tri used a very old, cheap, lame, piece of crap analog nylon gear servo.... but now I no longer have to worry about servo's (which is another nice thing)

Plus with 2 motors on the tail, i am sure there is alot less load on the motors. I can tell right away that my DT750's run cooler, and my ESC's also do not get as warm (maybe cause they are simonK, not sure)

Overall, i am extremely satisfied with the V-Tail.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:35 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2012
378 Posts
does your v-tail yaw as quick as your tri did? or just quicker than your quad?
i'm liking the thought of not having the thought of a servo crapping itself and bringing everything down when i'm over water.
jimbob69 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob69
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:40 PM
Joined Aug 2012
3,289 Posts
Its quicker than the Tri... but like i said, my tri used a slow servo.

Its also quicker than the Quad, but i only flew my quad a handful of times, and never really abused it like I do my Tri/Vtail.

The one thing I have noticed, and will try to tune the KK2 to avoid, is when i yaw the craft tends to pitch itself into the turn. Part of me likes this, as it looks pretty cool. But for FPV or aerial video this would make it impossible to get smooth clean panoramic shots.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:40 PM
Joined Aug 2012
3,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob69 View Post
i'm liking the thought of not having the thought of a servo crapping itself and bringing everything down when i'm over water.
I have had servo failures twice on the Tri... both times it was NOT GOOD. Over water would be very bad
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:53 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2012
378 Posts
i've only just finished rebuilding my tri with a paris wii board for fpv today and now i'm already thinking of the v-tail option for the added reliability my wife is NOT gonna be happy hahaha,
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:55 PM
Joined Aug 2012
3,289 Posts
hahaha, dont even tell her. She probably wont even know the difference.

An additional Motor & ESC is not much more than the price of a high quality Servo.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 02:09 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2012
378 Posts
she's actually going away next weekend, now if i can just sweet talk my parents to take my son out for a day we're in business haha,
thanks for the encouragement lol
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:59 PM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Comparing the V-tail to the tri: is it easier to see and keep the orientation straight? I'm thinking it should be, but don't have any first hand experience (yet).

cheers,
Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5