sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:33 PM
THE PUBLIC IS THE PROBLEM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2012
3,289 Posts
I think i found the problem.

Stupid gold 3.5mm connectors Looks like the 3 connectors on the front-left ESC were able to touch and possibly short. I was balancing motors in the garage when I noticed the front-left motor twitching and not spinning. I could get it to spool up if i dropped the throttle and brought it back up, i could get that motor to spin but shortly after it would start to twitch.

I removed the heatshrink covering the 3 gold connectors, and seperated the three, then continued to balance the motors and that motor never showed any signs of failure after that.

I can see myself spending a couple hours in the garage removing 3.5mm connectors and soldering everything together. Soldering... my favorite.
subaru4wd is online now Find More Posts by subaru4wd
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:30 PM
Joined Aug 2012
100 Posts
I love the ease of use the 3.5mm connectors give, I wish they weren't so useless to rely on though.
AeroRoo is offline Find More Posts by AeroRoo
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:07 AM
Emress
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Nov 2011
1,934 Posts
ive surprisingly had no issues with them except when flying into the ground when attempting flips my next whatever with fpv/gopro will hopefully be clean and hard soldered.
sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:42 AM
Joined Aug 2012
3,289 Posts
I ended up going through each gold connector. I pulled them apart one at a time, added a piece of heat shrink to cover the connection, then reconnected them as firmly as I could then shrunk the wrap so they are not going anywhere. They cannot short against eachother or anything else.

I got my order of props today from Dan Phillips so I put a brand new set on the V-Tail and put her back in the air. It was amazing how well she flew, if only i had these props yesterday.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:31 AM
<Marty>
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined Jul 2011
1,740 Posts
whats the angle to set the V at on the tail? i built a H quad and don't really like how it yaws it wants to climb every time i yaw it with rudder and i am going to convert it to a V tail to see how it does...i am just going to use the same frame and alter the rear to a V shape...shouldn't be to difficult to do i just don't know what angle to use...
magic_marty is offline Find More Posts by magic_marty
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:05 AM
Joined Aug 2012
3,289 Posts
I did 30 degree's.

There is a youtube video somewhere of a guy who does some tests with 45 degree, 30 degree, inverted V and standard V. He found 30 degree's to be optimal, but didn't see any difference between V & inverted V.

And each motor is 30 degree's, which gives a combined angle of 60 degree's.... of that makes any sense or not
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:04 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Looks more like 30 degrees up which would give a 120 degree MTM, yes?

Btw, with that Rx, why not use cppm and only run 1 wire?
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:55 AM
Joined Aug 2012
3,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Looks more like 30 degrees up which would give a 120 degree MTM, yes?

Btw, with that Rx, why not use cppm and only run 1 wire?
30+30=60

I would run CPPM but I have to read more about it and how to activate it on my RX. I have thought about it, and when the KK2 board supports Gimbal Pan/Tilt, i will need to use CPPM.

For now, this works and Im satisfied. But CPPM is in the plan.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:33 PM
Joined Aug 2012
100 Posts
Hey mate, you know the next step we'd all want to see you take is moving up to a stabler board.

How are those multiwii boards compared to kk2 for stable flight of a v-tail?
AeroRoo is offline Find More Posts by AeroRoo
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:46 PM
Joined Aug 2012
3,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroRoo View Post
Hey mate, you know the next step we'd all want to see you take is moving up to a stabler board.

Should find out later this week.... i believe i have a MWC Pro+GPS combo comming my way.

Next chapter will be on FPV though... stay tuned.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:36 AM
Joined Apr 2012
507 Posts
Woah!! I think your posts are hidden due to some rule infractions...wassup man.....I wanted you show us 1.5v firmware on the kk2 and its performance on your copter...
Akcopter is online now Find More Posts by Akcopter
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:40 AM
Joined Aug 2012
3,289 Posts
Yeah i have too many infractions against me. I guess we have some soft skinned people on this forum.

I have not yet flashed 1.5 on my KK2 board. I am still flying with 1.4

The only difference between the two is gimbal support. And without a gimbal, i have no need for 1.5

Comming soon.... FPV gear! I mounted all the FPV stuff, and got my ground station all setup. Ive been too busy playing with it to stop and take any pictures... but soon... very soon.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:57 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2012
378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroRoo View Post

Stabler how? Kk2 is a solid board, no less stable than multiwii imo.
jimbob69 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob69
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:37 PM
Joined Aug 2012
3,289 Posts
Ok just a quick update here before I have to head out.

Today was my FIRST FPV FLIGHT ever! It was awesome, and scary, and AWESOME! I definitely need more room to stretch my legs, but here is some video that I got.

First FPV (2 min 4 sec)

Here is another video I took, just prior to the FPV video. This is a camera test looking for Jello & testing how the quality looks under more aggressive flight. I am pretty satisfied with how well this $45 camcorder performs. Especially since it double's as my FPV Cam.

The HellaCopter - Camera Test #1 (1 min 32 sec)

I'll have some pictures of the setup, including my ground station later. I have to take off for the night right now.