HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:29 AM
Concept Builder
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Feb 2008
466 Posts
You might need some more flight practice, but I'm the same way!
Vanish is offline Find More Posts by Vanish
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:18 AM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,500 Posts
This plane looks really cool. Is there a final version of the plans or is it still being developed?
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:41 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,326 Posts
A and B plan are upated and ready for everyone. Im still working on X. A and B are both a blast to fly around. X is still a handfull which is why I havent released plans for it yet.
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:39 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,326 Posts
"X" is all fixed up and ready for more. I stayed up way too late making new tails for this thing but I think I've got something I finnaly like. Seems to match to shape of the rest of the aircraft now.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:22 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,786 Posts
OZO:

Hope you built as light as possible and glide test it first. Thumbs up!

Dave-
foamdave is offline Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:15 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,326 Posts
it flew decently well but was still slow to respond on elevator commands. Making larger canards to start with and see if that solves the problem. On a side note it flies beautifully in level flight. It even self stabalizes when no comands are given. Im guess the angled canards help with this.

Still, the "A" and "B" models where a blast to fly. I got "A" to bank and manuver very well, even only feet off the ground. Right now weather here is a bit finky. Rains been coming and going and the days are getting shorter. I barly get off work before the sun goes down behind the mountains so flying time is short.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:26 PM
United States, PA, Westmoreland
Joined May 2002
6 Posts
HI OZO,
Really like your designs, I always liked planes with canards. Some things to consider with canards that I've read about in the canard posts is most designs use about 3 deg. pos incidence which help lift the front of the craft and the canard is fixed with only a portion of it as a movable surface. Are you mixing the canard with the wing ailervators? The other thing I noticed is you have z bends in your pushrods to the ailervators, could they be flexing too much? I would go with a straight pushrod with 1 or 2 pushrod guides. I'm not trying to be critical of your work, just suggestions. I admire how you keep at it! I would love to build one of your "X" models right now but I can't, but will when I can. Thanks for the great work.

Wayne
dragintail is offline Find More Posts by dragintail
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:50 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragintail View Post
HI OZO,
Really like your designs, I always liked planes with canards. Some things to consider with canards that I've read about in the canard posts is most designs use about 3 deg. pos incidence which help lift the front of the craft and the canard is fixed with only a portion of it as a movable surface. Are you mixing the canard with the wing ailervators? The other thing I noticed is you have z bends in your pushrods to the ailervators, could they be flexing too much? I would go with a straight pushrod with 1 or 2 pushrod guides. I'm not trying to be critical of your work, just suggestions. I admire how you keep at it! I would love to build one of your "X" models right now but I can't, but will when I can. Thanks for the great work.

Wayne
I do have the canards up slightly on all versions. The issue with the "X" version was how close I orginaly had the canards to the crafts CG line which basiclly ment they where just there for show untill it got to high speeds.

As far as mixing goes my radio is limited to what it can mix. So the canards are full elevator with the alerons being just alerons.

The "Z" bends in the pushrods are for fine tuning the adjustment length of the pushrods. "A" and "B" never really had any issue, only "X". I have used guids on other models, sadly with how I have the runs set up on this plane its a bit more difficult to do. But perferated PC boards work great for this use, even come pre drilled for pushrods and glue to get a good grip on
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:52 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,326 Posts
Hey all. Been a bit busy on my end. This thing is far from dead. I've actually got 2.5 planes ready to fly.

I will be starting a new clean thread dedicated to the finalized F/A-241 "A" and "B" models and use this one to continue the development of the "X". I also in the (mental) works of designing an EDF version as well. Only issue I have with EDF is taht all my EDF's are brushed motors and dont really have a good ESC for them With the time change its been hard to get any flying time in since it gets dark before I get out of work.

Serial# OZO-026, YF-X-241 Shrike MkII. Air frame has been completed for about 2 weeks. Did a number of glide tests to make sure CG was good before giving it any motors or servos. Main issue, Im out of ESC's. All I have are too under speced for the C20 motor im useing on the "X". Will have a few more on the way soon. May leave the canards fixed for the first few test flights. Im also going to see about getting some new 700-800mah 3s packs. That is all for now.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:22 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,326 Posts
started a new thread for the finalized A and B models with a full "how to build" guide

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1767590

I decided to go with a F/A designation after I saw just how manuverable the last "A" model I made was at ground level. Makes for a fun plane to turn around objects, or chase after yourself with Next time I'll give the ravens something to worry about
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:50 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,326 Posts
Been working on a new YF-X-241. Hopeing to use this for some camera flights. Still a lot left to do on it but giving you guys something to look at.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:28 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,786 Posts
OZO:

Ya need to try that with 2 pullers on the wing nacells.

Merry Christmas;

Dave-
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:40 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamdave View Post
OZO:

Ya need to try that with 2 pullers on the wing nacells.

Merry Christmas;

Dave-
EDF's
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:55 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,326 Posts
finished up the newest Shrike. With luck it will make a good camera platform once I get a camera inside of it. Will try flying it later should the weather hold.

Specs:
C20 brushless Outrunner 2050kv
Rhino 750mAh 3S 11.1v 20C Lipoly Pack
TURNIGY Plush 12amp (2A BEC) BESC
HKSCM9-6 Singlechip Digital Micro Servo

243g flying wieght. May do the first test with my smaller 450mah packs since CG is a bit forward then I would like with this battery.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:42 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,786 Posts
OZO:

Great job on the livery!

Dave-
Closed Thread