HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:50 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
have you thought about using a gyro on any of these?
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:20 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,328 Posts
yes, but no idea how they work so im not ready to spend the money.
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:53 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,328 Posts
Went for a quick test of the new set up before going to see "Dredd". Cool movie, very violent, dont bring the young kids.

Ive determined that the canards are far too small to keep the nose up on this aircraft. "A" and "B" have much larger canards and fly much beter as a result. Did a few short launches only to have the aircraft lawn dart into a gofer hole and snapping itself in half. I wish I had the camera with me at the time. As bad as the situation was, it was also a bit funny to see it, nose first in a gofer hole, like some kind of lawn ornament.

I am by no means giving up on a version with working canards, simply adjusting the design for the increased weight and larger control surfaces.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:10 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,328 Posts
Today was a busy day.

retorqued the head on my truck, fixed an oil leak on the valve cover seal, replaced a hose feeding the heater core, and replaced a worn seal on the output shaft of the transmission of my truck. I also built another "A" model too not 100% done, but its most of the way there. going back to basics to see what I got right with the original design. Fixed canards but with the new fuse design and a slightly modded tail design.

will see what I can do tomorow. Im getting my first eye exam in 4 years. my glasses are a bit old and beat up. The right lens has a 1/2" crack on the bottom from carb cleaner splashing on them. The rapid cooling of the carb cleaner evaporating cracked the polycarb lense O_O. The left lens has bite marks from 1 week after I got them. Our then new baby kitty knocked them off my face and bit the lens in the top left corner. Maybe now Ill be able to see my planes as they fly once I get a new set of eyes on my face.
Last edited by OutcastZeroOne; Oct 01, 2012 at 02:21 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:28 AM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,860 Posts
Looking good OZO. I always enjoy getting a new pair of glasses too.

Dave-
foamdave is offline Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:08 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,328 Posts
Just wish glasses didnt cost so much. $380 is cheap compared to where the price can go, but to have a cat bite them a week after getting them, cat is still around. Hes in enough pictures with my planes as proof.

Going to try the winglets on this guy. Ultimately I'd like to have this be able to compete against the X-41 Deltastorm. But I've got a ways to go till I can get there.

And no, I didnt name it the YF-241 after the X-41. My entire numbering system for my pusher jets is bassed off of a Sci-Fi story I was working on YEARS ago. In reality we had the "Century Series" fighters with a 100 number. So since my craft where in space and needing to be able to fly in an atmosphere I kind of carried on the next step of that and put a 200 number on my craft.

I had my "F-230 Thunderhawk"

and my "F-240 Sparrow Hawk"

I even had a version of the Draken, the F-235 Draken II. No pictures of that one up.

I just kind of carried over the numbering into my RC designs. Ultimately my plan is make RC versions of the F-230 and F-240, But my skill level is far from being able to do that yet.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:28 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
I used to make a lot of spaceships out of legos when I was younger (no they didn't fly hehe) but I'd always come up with some crazy number/letter name based on my name and some X's for experimental and some other acronyms i cant remember now. Your cat biting glasses reminds me of the time my girlfriend and I were house sitting/dog sitting for my parents and the puppy chewed my gf's glasses to shreds one morning. Not a fun morning.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:56 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,328 Posts
Legos can fly, wouldnt call it a controlled flight, but they can fly

Almost finished with the new plane. jsut need to do control links and motor mounting and its ready to go. Its warm right now though. 88 here. I dont do so good with heat

Ill be getting my new set of eyes in 10-14 days. With luck I can keep this thing flying to figure out a few things.

As far as the letting I try to use the same system as the US airforce. "Y" meaning "Prototoype".

Good explination of how the system works here:
http://www.designation-systems.net/u.../aircraft.html
Last edited by OutcastZeroOne; Oct 02, 2012 at 01:43 AM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:02 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,328 Posts
Finished the new "A" model. final weigh in is at 197g.

Ive mentioned a few times that my plane looks like my Fiskars Sccisors from the side. Now you can see what i mean
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:48 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,328 Posts
first flight of the new "A" today. I need a good recomendation for a small camera I can fit on my cap that isnt very expensive.

Launch was good into a good 5mph wind. plane took off strait and level. began to climb with ease. Got out a good 100 yards away and banked right and turned it back around to have it fly over the old runway. Thing was fast at only 1/2 throttle I was giving it. Was getting a little close to the dog park at the other end of the abandoned field and banked right again. Rolled it a bit far but was able to pull up and contindued into a nice tight loop that started 50' off the ground Ended in a high alpha hover less then the length of the aircraft off the ground litterally was pogo sticking it just off the ground to keep it from slamming the deck. Climbed up again and tight rolled and spun it around into a landing on the hard packed dirt.

I so wish I had a camera or camera person for this, It was so awesome! Landing was a bit harder then I wanted since it did land a bit more nose first then I wanted. I cut a bit more power then I should have But aircraft was fine. I did break the weak glue joint on the piece that holds the front of the canopy down so that ended my day early. Plane only got a slightly bent nose and has been repaired. Ive also gone and wraped the plane in tape now. its at 203g.

So I've reconfirmed for my self (since I dont have video to share )that the design dose fly. The YF-X-241s canards are the main issue with that version. Im fairly sure that I had them too far back and too small to be of any real use for this model.

YF-241 A flys great, very responsive and easy to fly. I will start testing my design updates on this airframe that will e seen in the updated plans. If i can get this thing to fly, anyone can
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:35 AM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,860 Posts
OZO:

Congrats! Glad to see ya pull it off...Love your line "if I can do it, any one can."

Dave-
foamdave is offline Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:11 AM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,527 Posts
How was the roll rate? Was it much improved over the outboard-servos design?
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:54 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
How was the roll rate? Was it much improved over the outboard-servos design?
That is hard to say. the outbaord servo set up was on the "X", which had very poor responce to all controls because of how close the canards where to the COG. I can say that the servos being close in to the body allows for a much more rigid set up since the foam wing flexes slightly.

Im still a bit n00bish on the sticks so Im not sure how to discribe the roll rate, or even have enough faith in my limited abilities (and poor eye sight) to push it to its limits. I've also noticed that when Im flying my perception of time seems to slow down to reality. Like I am so focused on keeping it inthe air my brain has to kick into over drive to make sure I keep up with comanding the aircraft. The short video of the "B" flying seemed much longer to me then the video is. Not sure if it was a small bit of adrenalin or what but I remember the event taking longer
Last edited by OutcastZeroOne; Oct 05, 2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:50 AM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,527 Posts
I was looking for just what you said. Simple seat of the pants reaction to it. Before you stated it didn't want to roll, now you say it rolls nicely so I just wanted to know if it was merely acceptable or if it rolls very well. Thanks!
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:26 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,328 Posts
its rolls as fast as I want it too. the "A" and "B" models are fairly quick to roll, but also stay nice and level when not giving commands. the problem one was the "X" model. The video shows the "B" model.
Closed Thread