Closed Thread
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:53 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,791 Posts
OZO:

Is the leading edge of the wing rounded in the shape of an airfoil?

Dave-
foamdave is online now Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:07 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,328 Posts
I rounded the leading edge on all the main wings. Only the leading delta and canards are strait cuts. Didn't think a sharp edged plank would do too well as a leading edge The other surfaces are so small I havent ever had any issues with needing to shape those.

Also, I noticed that the sheet I used to make this newest plane was 5mm thick instead of 4mm. Wondering if the Readi-Board has been thickend up or if somehow it puffed up with some heat.
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:43 AM
Australia Sunshine Coast
Joined Sep 2007
447 Posts
Just a quick one, I did search, what battery are ya using, as in 2s 3s ?

thanks
rudes is offline Find More Posts by rudes
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:10 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,328 Posts
Wow, I cant beleive I missed a simple thing like that its a 3s pack. I updated the info with direct links of the parts or similar parts from Hobby King.

I should have the new updated plans in the next couple of days too. X will be a few days out from that.

Also, let me know if you would like me to do a step by step build up on one of these. Some things may be a bit odd but Im not sure how easy this is for someone else to make since it came from my head 9its a scary place in there )
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:45 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,328 Posts
Crash assesment time. had almost the same issue with the new plane as the last "X" model. had low roll rate and very limited elevator responce. I do not have a video of the flight, but ive got a static test on the stand. The wing itself dose seem to flex some with the servos pull of the controls. Wings are not wrapped in tape, but neither where "A" or "B" and they flew fine. All versions used HXT500 servos. All 3 used the same 2900kv motor.

The only major differance is the extention on the tail and the different canard set up.

I know this thing can fly, I just need to figure out what is going on with this version. Im going to try getting rid of the tail extentions and see if that helps any. Sadly its dark out so no more flying tonight to test.

SS851013 (0 min 49 sec)
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:41 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,791 Posts
OZO:

Have you glide tested it to make sure you have the proper center of gravity? Also, is the angle of incidence of the canard the same as the angle of incidence of the wing? Some times the angle of incidence can be about 3% higher for the canard.

Dave-
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:34 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,328 Posts
I did glide test it and it seemed ok. CG on all 3 versions has been right about the same. I did mount the canard level with the main wing. Ill see if I can adjust it some. May just tweek and heat to get the angle rather then cut and reglue.

Tails are on. New nose is still in the works. It was scary seeing this thing heading for the dog park in a nose dive. Thankfully it didnt reach that far before slaming nose first into the ground.

I just wish that there was enough room in this fuse for a servo on the canards. But because of the way the conections are on the Rx, there isnt any real room for that

EDIT:
going to try and see if I can undersling a servo below the Rx to run the canards. Im also going to upgrade to HXT900 servos.
Last edited by OutcastZeroOne; Sep 26, 2012 at 01:36 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:51 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,328 Posts
plane is fixed. Now with its new EPS nose and HXT900 servos. Its now up to 197g. I even made sure to redo the serial number so the FAA wont get on my case about tampering with numbers on a plane

I also cut the nose off the old YF-X241 to use as a test bed for setting up controlable canards. Fells kind of odd, like im walking around with the head of a chicken or something...
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:38 AM
Concept Builder
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Feb 2008
466 Posts
Way to stick with it!
Vanish is offline Find More Posts by Vanish
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:18 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,791 Posts
OZO:

Really like the shape of your fuse design. Git er in the air....

Dave-
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:26 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,328 Posts
tried, failed was a bit windy tonight after work. Got one launch out of it before a bad landing broke my poor glue bond of the underside of the tail. Going to make notches in the Kf step to help lock the tail in place. Tempted to notch the flaperons to make the angle notch smaller and give the tail a bit more strength and surface area.

Prototype of the canard system is underway. The real challenge of this system is the angles the canards meet at inside the fuse and the fact that ive got less then 4" of area to build this system in.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:10 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,787 Posts
I totally respect your creativity and know you are having fun but the one video looked like this thing is a pain to keep in the air.
seeingeyegod is online now Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:55 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod View Post
I totally respect your creativity and know you are having fun but the one video looked like this thing is a pain to keep in the air.
I was flying in confused winds. If you read the discription of the events, I not that the wind changed directions as I walked from one side of the park to the other.

Also Im better at building then I am at flying. Trying to run befor I can walk so to speak.

Canard system is being built now. Just waiting on glue to dry.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:48 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,328 Posts
that was easier then I thought. Its now at 215g, but all control surfaces are controlable

SS851022 (0 min 44 sec)

Stupid simple. I may have to do a pivot mount for the control horn later, but for now it seems to work ok floating.
Closed Thread