HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:49 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,959 Posts
OZO:

Are you going to revise the plans to reflect the added wing tips?\ Bu the way I think the add to the looks of the aircraft...

Dave-
foamdave is offline Find More Posts by foamdave
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:29 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,333 Posts
I may jsut do an add on page, not sure yet. still need to get it in the air. was sick all weekend, still not 100%.
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:50 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,333 Posts
as the sickness continues, I've started working on a 3rd version, before I even fly the 2nd o_0. only a few parts have been cut. Its starting to look a lot like the VF-4 Lightning III from Macross

I also realized that in profile, the Shrike looks a lot like my Fiskars scissors
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:33 AM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,959 Posts
OZO:

Man that is looking really good! Looking forward to the V3 plans as you get time... Also, how about a side view?

Dave-
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:22 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,333 Posts
as requested
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:35 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,959 Posts
OZO:

Looks like a winner. Love to see some flight video...

Dave-
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:59 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,333 Posts
Just took "B" out for its first flight.

First launch went well. it took off nice and level, though a bit slugish. made a nice climbing right turn trying to get a feel for the plane. It started getting twitchy as it neared the other side of the field and had to set it down fast. Just got under a tree into a nice pile of leaves. Only a small tear on the side of the nose. As I was walking across the field I noticed the wind direction was different from where I launched. Seems the wind is reaching the clearing of and fanning out as it drops into the field area.

Started on the north side of the park and when it touched down it was by the fence at the south Baseball Diamond.

Second flight, I wasn't able to get on the sticks fast enough to get it in the air before it landed.

Third flight I lanched it about midway back from where it landed the first time. Strait into the wind, then the ESC cover flew off, herd it hit the prop, chuckled for a second, mistake, got distracted watching to see where the cover landed instaed of watching the plane >_< it started going left tried to recover but it was too low. Ended up kart wheeling into the semi-tall grass. Bent/cracked the left canard, popped off the section at the front of the fuse that holds the front of the canopy down.

Damage is repairable, and it may end up with canards like the YF-X-241.

After I got back home I realized something. Im useing a new ESC in this plane, and have yet to program it from its default settings >_< Might explain some of the slugishness of the craft. So far every time the tails have never had an issue. No cracks or anything. Guess I cant be totally surprised since I seem to land face first.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:50 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,333 Posts
Just got the video my GF took on her phone.
YF-241B first flight (0 min 18 sec)
Last edited by OutcastZeroOne; Sep 18, 2012 at 02:20 AM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:41 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,333 Posts
Got "B" fixed. Decided to cut off the canards all together. Still have spares if I find I need to put them back on. YF-X-241 is just about ready to fly. I decided to close up the nose to give it more strength.

I've also redone the back of the wing where the prop sits to help reduce prop noise. All the plans will be updated with this wing feature as an option to be cut out along with still having the strait trailing edge option. No final weight on "X" yet as Ive still got glue drying with a lot of extra tape to hold stuff in place.

I've also swapped on a 5x3 prop to see if that helps the motor some.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:38 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,333 Posts
just got back from trying out the YF-X-241. Didnt go so well. Had almost no control unless at high speed. I think placing the servos outboard like I did backfired in a big way. Little damage, but Im sure I scared a few people when I flew out over the street with it. I think the servos where flexing out on the pylon extentions along with the unreinforced control surfaces added up to little control and a lot of unwanted flexing of the parts. Unit is being repaired and reinforcing will be added to aid the air frame.

Finally managed to bust off the underside of those tails on one of these planes. Also broke the tail pylon extention on the right side where it meets the wing.

Other then that it was stable in flight. Im tempted to start drawing up plans for a 50% larger plane. Will keep you guys posted. If anyone has tried building one of these I would love feed back and pictures. Im still in the works of updateing the existing plans. Just a lot to do on my end.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:10 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,333 Posts
went to fly my planes last night. B went first. this plane needs the canards. couldnt stay in the air. I chickened out on flying X. I think it may be retired to model status.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:41 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,333 Posts
Just finished building the 4th of these planes. final weight is 191grams with everything in it. will try to fly it later. right now ive got a pounding head ache so no go right now.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:08 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,959 Posts
OZO:

Another great looking build. In fact that looks good enough to fly. Hope the headache leaves you soon and you can get that in the air.

Dave-
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:32 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,333 Posts
head is still pounding bu getting better. I think Im going to make the wing root as the standard location for the servos on the plans when I update everything.
Closed Thread