Closed Thread
Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:57 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,328 Posts
Build Log
YF-241 Shrike II

Have yet to fly it more then test glides for CG. We will see how well the tails hold up in a landing. I originaly wanted to have all servos tucked in the body but since i wasnt sure of CG till I built the thing it was hard to plan out. Though I am glad to see my rough estimate of where I thought the CG should have ended up was right. Right in front of the wing root to the body.

Plans added, its a one sheeter

EDIT: Updated info:

My newest design. 27" wingspan, 20" length, 6" tall.

Parts:
Servos:
2 HXT500 Servos
Power System:
Strong Motor 2900kv motor
(these motors have similar specs:
AX 1806N 2500kv Brushless Micro Motor (19g) (this is the closest to what I am running)
C10 Micro brushless outrunner 2900kv (this is the second closest)
C2222 Micro brushless Outrunner 2850kv (15g)
ESC:
TURNIGY Plush 12amp (2A BEC) BESC
Battery:
Rhino 460mAh 3S 11.1v 20C Lipoly Pack
Prop:
TGS Sport 6x4E Precision propeller
or
GWS EP Propeller (DD-5043 125x110mm)

around 200 grams flying weight. (with Kfm4 wing and some tape)
KFm2 or Kfm4 wing

Please go to:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1767590

for plans of finalized versions of this plane and continued talk. This will now only be for prototype versions of this aircraft.
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
Last edited by OutcastZeroOne; Jan 21, 2013 at 10:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2012, 08:24 AM
Joined Nov 2005
605 Posts
Your plane looks good. suscribed.. Can you please post a picture of the bottom of your plane.
soulreaper is offline Find More Posts by soulreaper
Old Aug 04, 2012, 10:32 AM
"Five Easy Pieces"
United States, IN, Terre Haute
Joined Sep 2011
1,406 Posts
Cool.
bobdaeronort is offline Find More Posts by bobdaeronort
Old Aug 04, 2012, 11:16 AM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,791 Posts
OZO:

Looking goood!

Dave-
foamdave is offline Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Aug 04, 2012, 02:19 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreaper View Post
Your plane looks good. suscribed.. Can you please post a picture of the bottom of your plane.
i will, batteries died on the camera
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:06 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,328 Posts
more pictures of the plane, as requested.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:04 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,328 Posts
Just got back from the park. YF-241 flew well. Hand lanching from the fuselage under the body was super easy. Was responsive to the controls and made a nice turning loop. Only once did I have a pitch up issue with power, but it was also as it got near tree top level. Once it got up there it flipped around and flat spun into the ground, nose dropping till it hit nose first. Took the hit very well. Nose was fine along with the rest of the body. Even the tails are undamaged. The only thing to happen was the little piece in front of the canopy that holds it down came off. Without that, the canopy cant stay on, so that ended the first flight. Good minute if flying

Since I just walked across the street to the park I didnt bring anything with me to repair anything. Also going to be leaving in a few minutes to go see Batman.

I still think there is turbulant air around the top of the trees near my house. Had almost the same problem, in the same area as I did with the larger YF-239 Fox Sparrow I made. Got just about tree top level and things go a bit crazy with a sudden gust of wind.
Last edited by OutcastZeroOne; Aug 06, 2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 07:31 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,180 Posts
Great looking plane.

You asked for names... So here are a few... To get the ball rolling.

The Enigma

The Paradymn

The Shrike

The Annihilator

You've done a beautiful job with this build.

~ Dick. The K In KF
Dickeroo is offline Find More Posts by Dickeroo
Last edited by Dickeroo; Aug 07, 2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 09:32 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,328 Posts
Enigma, Paradymn and Annihilator sound too comic bookish to me Shirke, I'm not Indian I can only guess you ment Shrike, as in the small bird. That one Im kind of likeing.

I am still very surprised that the tails held up as well as they did. Keep in mind the only tape on the plane are on the hing points of the flaperons
Old Aug 06, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Nov 2005
605 Posts
Thanks Outcast for the picture of the bottom of the airplane. I cant wait for a video and maybe plans? I kinda think the name Enigma is just right for the plane. Im itching to build one your planes, and I might try and make into an FPV airplane. Please post a video if you have time. Thanks again for sharing your plane
Old Aug 06, 2012, 09:52 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,328 Posts
no video Ill see what I can do as far as plans go. The old computer with illustrator is having issues.

Found a good sideveiw of a Loggerhead Shrike, and the shape of the birds head is a good match for this plane I htink, so it works. Plus I seem to have a habbit of naming my jet designs after birds... Not sure why.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 08:54 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutcastZeroOne View Post
no video Ill see what I can do as far as plans go. The old computer with illustrator is having issues.

Found a good sideveiw of a Loggerhead Shrike, and the shape of the birds head is a good match for this plane I htink, so it works. Plus I seem to have a habbit of naming my jet designs after birds... Not sure why.
Yes, I got careless and misspelled the bird's name. I'm glad you liked my suggestion, however. Love the look of this plane.
Dickeroo is offline Find More Posts by Dickeroo
Old Aug 12, 2012, 04:57 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,328 Posts
Soulreaper: Im having issue with my computer that has Illustrator on it so plans are still being a problem to make. If you want to try one of my planes as a FPV, try my Wind FIghter. Funbat based Kfm4 pusher. Very easy to fly and stable. And plans aswell

Will keep trying to get my G3 up and running to make plans of the Shrike. I have a CAD program on my G5, but it dosnt do PDF, and cant wrap my head around sketchup still. Ive done 3d modeling since the mid 90's but for some reason I just cant get sketchup to work for me. I think I have too many other systems running in my head as it is
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:14 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,328 Posts
Was able to make plans on my cad program and "print" it as a PDF Still cant do tilled files. I did 2 versions. B model has a new canard design. It ALMOST fits on a single sheet of Readi-Board.
Last edited by OutcastZeroOne; Aug 12, 2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:08 PM
Joined Nov 2005
605 Posts
Awesome, and thank you very much for trying. In the mean time, Im going to check out your other plane (Wing Fighter).
Closed Thread