HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2012, 05:13 PM
United States, NC, Spruce Pine
Joined Oct 2007
13 Posts
Discussion
Soaring in western North Carolina

I'm relocating to Spruce Pine (near Asheville). I don't see a lot of activity on the RCGroups Maps for this region. Can anyone help with TD and/or slope locations?
dgvan is online now Find More Posts by dgvan
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2012, 05:15 PM
Joined Oct 2007
13 Posts
Yes, I've seen http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1356422
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:09 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,641 Posts
I've heard about the lump.....

http://northcarolina.hometownlocator...20overlook.cfm
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:32 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,135 Posts
Blue Ridge Soaring Society

http://www.blueridgesoaring.org/index.php

RC Soaring North Carolina

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nc-rc-soaring/

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Aug 04, 2012, 01:03 PM
Joined Oct 2007
13 Posts
Thanks, all.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 07:35 AM
Wilson, NC
Joined Jun 2006
724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgvan View Post
I'm relocating to Spruce Pine (near Asheville). I don't see a lot of activity on the RCGroups Maps for this region. Can anyone help with TD and/or slope locations?
When you finally get situated in NC give us (DESS in Wilson, NC area) a heads up. We are 6 hours east of Ashville, but an occasional trip might be possible. In one of the messages above there is a link to the DESS web site. Subscribe to the forum and you can stay abreast of any activities we have. One of the guys on the forum, Ian, lives slightly north of Ashville. Have not heard from him lately, but we could try to hook you up with him. You are probably closer to Charlotte and there a a few glider pilots in that area including the Ft. Mill/South Hill, SC area.

The Lump, accessable from the Blue Ridge Parkway, is probably the most notable slope close to you. I have not personnaly been there (yet) but it is my understanding it is slopable from 3 wind directions.

Hope your relocation goes smoothly.

Dick
DProseus is offline Find More Posts by DProseus
Old Aug 06, 2012, 01:13 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,162 Posts
when I lived in NC I couldnt find anything suitable. But I was in the Winston-Salem area. More trees than I'm used to from California
jzanutto is offline Find More Posts by jzanutto
Old Aug 06, 2012, 04:13 PM
Wilson, NC
Joined Jun 2006
724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzanutto View Post
when I lived in NC I couldnt find anything suitable. But I was in the Winston-Salem area. More trees than I'm used to from California
Here is a link to a virtual 360 of The Lump. No trees on the lump.

http://www.virtualblueridge.com/park...ooks/00264.asp

Dick
DProseus is offline Find More Posts by DProseus
Old Aug 06, 2012, 06:07 PM
So that's how you throw a DLG!
USA, NC, Sugar Grove
Joined Dec 2009
154 Posts
Spruce Pine is about one hour from Boone and we fly sailplanes and power planes. There isa good slope in this area but you need a four wheel drive vehicle to get to it. Come on up fly with us. You can pm or email me . rmmoore@skybest.com.
Butch
rmmoorejr is offline Find More Posts by rmmoorejr
Last edited by rmmoorejr; Aug 06, 2012 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:18 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,878 Posts
That is shot from the parking lot. The hill in the pic is the the backside and you climb the hill and fly off the frontside. You do have trees lining the hill and though I have thrown a glider into lift I have various bungees to launch up and over the trees.. safer. The grass is not always that nice. I have seen it higher than waist high and there are granite rocks that stick out of the ground in places. On a nice spring day it is a beutiful place to fly. It is not a place you drive up to the edge and toss a plane. It is also not a sheer drop. 10-15mph winds from any direction with south in it, SW, SSE, ESE, etc works well. It is not a place for a lead sled. In fact if you have a nice motor glider that is really nice but ruins the reason.

When I moved here from San Diego I was amazed that there was all these mountains and no nice slope areas. The lump is about as nice as I have found but it is really too far from Charlotte for me with gas prices like they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DProseus View Post
Here is a link to a virtual 360 of The Lump. No trees on the lump.

http://www.virtualblueridge.com/park...ooks/00264.asp

Dick
Evan D is online now Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:32 PM
Joined Oct 2007
13 Posts
Thanks

Thanks to all that have replied. I was especially interested to read the remarks from those who have also flown in the western USA and can contrast the locations. I'm going to save the links/addresses and check it out when I get there this fall. (I do have a 4 wheel drive-I'm from Arizona.)
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:07 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,878 Posts
Where in AZ? I've flown in the Sedona/ Flagstaff areas.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:03 PM
Joined Oct 2007
13 Posts
Evan,
I'm down in the desert of Phoenix-home to the Southwest classic. You've certainly seen some of the prettiest parts of Arizona!
David
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:26 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,878 Posts
I was in Sedona for a week and took a sloper. I drove up the jeep trails and flew the top of Scnebley hill and I hooked up with Dawson and did the cinder cones and Mormon lake among others...