HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2012, 04:37 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1 Posts
Question
Spektrum DX8 or Futaba T8J

Hi there guys,

It's my first post here. I've been searching the forums about DX7s, DX8 and T8J and found great and informative posts about all of them. Although there were some comparisons between DX8 and T8FG, none came up on a search between DX8 and T8J as they are closer pricewise.

I fly parklyers, gliders with motors; plan to fly scale nitro and do FPV (maybe 2-3 km range - 2 miles range). I won't be flying helis in the foreseeable future. I'm not sure if telemetry will come in handy.

Where I live; T8J is priced about 400 USD, Spektrum DX7s about 380 USD and DX8 about 450 USD. They all come with receivers. The prices will be the same if I did the shopping from the internet as I have to pay customs tax and also shipping. (just a note - t8fg is 620 USD, a little off my budget)

What I want to find out is:

* Can I find receivers without any problems for both radios in different sizes? If so is there big difference in pricing and performance?

* Is there a difference between the ranges of the radios I mentioned? If so is it great?

* Would telemetry come in handy for a beginner (soon to be intermediate) user like me? (For FPV specifically)

* Are there any issues (problems) that I need to be aware of about these radios?

...and anything that you might wish to add. I don't mean to flame up a discussion about Futaba and Spektrum. I just wish to make the right choice for the radio that I hopefully will use for the next 5 years.

Cheers...
HonournGlory is offline Find More Posts by HonournGlory
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2012, 05:53 PM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonournGlory View Post
* Are there any issues (problems) that I need to be aware of about these radios?
just type on google "DX8 issues" you'll laugh very much
the 8J from Tower is $250 but if you need telemetry go for the JR XG7.
people used to get Spektrum because the price of receivers but their radios are JUNK!
Mikarro is offline Find More Posts by Mikarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:23 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,480 Posts
Quote:
I fly parklyers, gliders with motors; plan to fly scale nitro and do FPV (maybe 2-3 km range - 2 miles range). I won't be flying helis in the foreseeable future. I'm not sure if telemetry will come in handy.
Telemetry will come in handy flying FPV.

Quote:
* Can I find receivers without any problems for both radios in different sizes? If so is there big difference in pricing and performance?
You can find lots of receivers for the DX8 for all sorts of purposes, from the very low end 4-channel sport ones right up to 12-channel standalone and 18-channel receiver systems. They are priced accordingly, giving you a huge variety of options. There's a Spektrum receiver to fit every wallet and airplane type.

In addition, they are compatible across the board with the transmitters. You don't have to worry if you buy a Spektrum receiver if it will work with your Spektrum DSM2 or DSMX transmitter - it will. We've only discontinued one compatibility, the ancient AR6000 - the original 2.4gHz park-flyer receiver. Some brands will have different tiers of aircraft systems, so if you buy their low-end product it doesn't work with mid-range. That should be a major consideration when shopping for what brand to select.

JR DSM receivers are also compatible with Spektrum transmitters, and Spektrum receivers can be used with JR DSM transmitters.

And if you are interested in flying the best micro models (great for a park or even the yard or cul-de-sac) then there really isn't any other choice! All the Blade and Parkzone ultra-micros use Spektrum technology.

If you're looking to not have to worry about compatibility, Spektrum is the answer.

Quote:
* Is there a difference between the ranges of the radios I mentioned? If so is it great?
Spektrum offers 200mW transmission capability in its US-market radios, and 100mW compatibility elsewhere. These are legal limitations. Not all radio companies will do that.

Quote:
* Would telemetry come in handy for a beginner (soon to be intermediate) user like me? (For FPV specifically)
I am working in the training program in our club. Right now I am adding telemetry to our club-owned trainers to help them learn how to use telemetry for things such as checking installation of radio components and for keeping an eye or certain essentials such as receiver pack voltage.

Quote:
...and anything that you might wish to add. I don't mean to flame up a discussion about Futaba and Spektrum.
Some posters are just not above stooping to that level. Don't worry about it, there are always nay-sayers no matter what the question is. Be especially wary of those who can only look back and never see what is going on NOW.

Quote:
I just wish to make the right choice for the radio that I hopefully will use for the next 5 years.
That's a very wise thing to do. I would also make a couple other recommendations that you should choose before selecting any radio:

1) What are others in your area using? If you have other pilots around, find out what they are using and why. They will be your first resource to turn to when you need help.
2) What does your local hobby shop sell and recommend? They will be your second level of support, and will be there to encourage you along the way as well.
3) How does the radio feel in your hands? I would recommend that you always hold ANY radio you are considering, especially if you are buying it with the intent of using it for 5 years. An uncomfortable radio will not be fun to use. Not every radio feels good to every hand.
4) How easy is it to program? A radio which is intuitive and offers a lot of capability, as well as an upgrade path both with new software and with others from the same company will be a major asset.

Andy
Spektrum Development Team
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Last edited by AndyKunz; Aug 03, 2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:31 PM
United States, SC, Clemson
Joined Dec 2011
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Telemetry will come in handy flying FPV.

You can find lots of receivers for the DX8 for all sorts of purposes, from the very low end 4-channel sport ones right up to 12-channel standalone and 18-channel receiver systems. They are priced accordingly, giving you a huge variety of options. There's a Spektrum receiver to fit every wallet and airplane type.

Andy
I have been lurking in these threads and have a similar interest as the original poster. I am confused by your post. Are you saying I buy a dx8 and I can use the 12 channel reciever?
Can you elaborate or clarify?
redradar is offline Find More Posts by redradar
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:41 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,834 Posts
Sure you can use a 12 channel receiver, you will just be controlling 8 of the 12 channels.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:50 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post

Some posters are just not above stooping to that level. Don't worry about it, there are always nay-sayers no matter what the question is. Be especially wary of those who can only look back and never see what is going on NOW. ...

Andy
the second post is a good example. You really should get your hands on one and go from there.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Aug 03, 2012, 09:09 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikarro View Post
just type on google "DX8 issues" you'll laugh very much
the 8J from Tower is $250 but if you need telemetry go for the JR XG7.
people used to get Spektrum because the price of receivers but their radios are JUNK!
Once again - those who do not understand something tend to fear and reject it .
Simply another frailty of some individuals
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Aug 04, 2012, 04:24 AM
Joined Sep 2002
1,044 Posts
I would not recommend the T8J for FPV.

RF output power is only 13.242dBm (21.095mW) (r=20cm).
Pippin is offline Find More Posts by Pippin
Old Aug 04, 2012, 04:59 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,142 Posts
Quote:
Hi there guys,

It's my first post here. I've been searching the forums about DX7s, DX8 and T8J and found great and informative posts about all of them. Although there were some comparisons between DX8 and T8FG, none came up on a search between DX8 and T8J as they are closer pricewise.

Where I live; T8J is priced about 400 USD, Spektrum DX7s about 380 USD and DX8 about 450 USD. They all come with receivers. The prices will be the same if I did the shopping from the internet as I have to pay customs tax and also shipping. (just a note - t8fg is 620 USD, a little off my budget)

What I want to find out is:

...and anything that you might wish to add. I don't mean to flame up a discussion about Futaba and Spektrum. I just wish to make the right choice for the radio that I hopefully will use for the next 5 years.

Cheers...
Here in upstate NY, most of us fly JR/Spektrum and found the radios very reliable. I have used them for years. You can use any DSM2/DSMX Rx with any JR/Spektrum DSM2/DSMX Tx.
Buschbarber is offline Find More Posts by Buschbarber
Old Aug 04, 2012, 05:59 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
Once again - those who do not understand something tend to fear and reject it .
Simply another frailty of some individuals
I understand Spektrum.

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)