HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:16 AM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,522 Posts
I installed the D770 on the tail of my Pantera 600 and had a couple of flights already. The servo performed flawlessly at 7.5V and driven at 250Hz. At the end of a 6.5min flight it was barely warm to the touch.
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:43 PM
United States, SC, Myrtle Beach
Joined Jun 2011
407 Posts
I just picked up a bunch of these for a couple of 450 builds. I put them on my bench to check them out, and the first one I took apart had foam in it already. Someone somewhere is reading this thread, lol. I'll also be checking out the wiring, etc.

I'll check out the remaining 11 of them and update later.
DudeInMyrtleBch is offline Find More Posts by DudeInMyrtleBch
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:59 PM
Joined May 2011
1,522 Posts
Mine had that small flimsy foam too. It's not enough. Make sure you get good support for that motor in there.

Otherwise, the D770 has about a dozen flights already and doing well. Even suffered a less than perfect emergency landing when I stripped the main gear in the air... no complaints so far.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:07 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,585 Posts
Wait so where do you put a piece of foam to support the motor?
Alex Schauer is online now Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:43 PM
Joined Jun 2011
407 Posts
The placement of the foam in the servos didn't seem to be good. Only about 25% of the motor was covered with the foam. I took the little piece that was in there and just about covered the motor with it. This makes it so that you have to press down on the back cover about 2mm before it's seated. That's not enough? You have to press down on the cover pretty hard, and It looks to me like any more than that and you wouldn't get the cover on at all without stripping the holes out. I have no experience with these servos, tho and you guys obviously do. If I need to add a different, bigger piece of foam to this I'll do it. I just can't imagine the motor moving after what I just did to them.

The solder joints looked clean on all 12 of them. No stray wires or bad solder joints. Looks a hell of a lot better than the gotek 9257 I just took apart, lol. I took one look at that thing and binned it, then ordered Hitecs for the tails.

The cases are another story. The screws will strip them in nothing flat. I'm going to get Hobbypartz to send me a couple, as 2 of them were questionable. If you're going to order extra gear sets for these, might as well get extra cases for them too. I'm thinking that they won't last more than a couple of gear swaps before the threads give out. Might not be a bad idea to go ahead and add some CA to the holes right off the bat just to be sure. That'll last longer than the cases themselves.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:25 PM
Joined May 2011
1,522 Posts
Nevermind, Dude. I was thinking of the D770. The D654 did not have any foam. Perhaps somebody is reading and taking note of this feedback.

+1 on the CA. I've put a bit of CA on all my 654s right off the bat. That plastic simply does not look like it wants to hold a thread.

Alex, just trap a piece of foam between the motor and the back cover. This way, the cover will prevent the motor from sliding down into the case. Read the first post on this thread for more details.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:53 PM
United States, MA, Amherst
Joined Sep 2011
189 Posts
For the D654, I also recommend making sure the motor gear is not pressed on too far. On all of mine, they were which caused the motor to slip. I've got about 50 flights with the fixed 654's in my ailerons without issues. The other two had wiring issues and were going crazy on me from the start. The ones that work center great and are strong.
bcamphaus is offline Find More Posts by bcamphaus
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:55 PM
Joined Jun 2011
407 Posts
Going to take my batch of them apart (again) and check for this. Adding a little CA to all of the screws too.

Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcamphaus View Post
For the D654, I also recommend making sure the motor gear is not pressed on too far. On all of mine, they were which caused the motor to slip. I've got about 50 flights with the fixed 654's in my ailerons without issues. The other two had wiring issues and were going crazy on me from the start. The ones that work center great and are strong.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:50 PM
Joined May 2011
1,522 Posts
Update on Solar Servo D770

I've been flying the D770 on the tail of my Pantera 600 heli, first with 86mm then 96mm tail blades. It has over 30 flights on it now and is holding up very well running at 250Hz and 8V with an MSH Brain in command.

The servo is working, no signs of trouble or getting tired, however, I don't think it's fast enough to perform well on the tail of a 600-class helicopter. It definitely has more than enough torque, but it's just a bit too slow to get perfect tail behavior. Don't get this wrong, it'll work, for general sports flying, or even a scale bird. However, in aggresive aerobatics, or 3D the tail behavior will be sloppy around center and bouncy in piro stops.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:56 AM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Every technical aspect of this hobby is grist for the mill and I have to admire anyone who goes as deeply into their servos as some people on this thread. Since a crash from servo failure negates the perceived price advantage of cheap servos, so the fascination seems more tinkering/technical than financial.

Likewise if bench time is happy time then repairing and rebuilding servos must be as cool as any other building activity. However if maximum air time is the goal, then remedying low-end manufacturers' mistakes and omissions has to be counted against the low-low-everyday-price.
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:56 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,585 Posts
There's too many big words in that post.
Alex Schauer is online now Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:32 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Sorry: I thought you knew what 'manufacturer' means (the longest word in the posting.)

On the bright side, school starts again in January.
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:45 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,282 Posts
Five of these arrived for my new Sbach today. I'll check the motors on them tonight to make sure they are ready to go. I've got around a hundred flights on a set of A107s and about half that many on a set of D650s so I figured I'd give these a shot.

Edit: Popped the bottom covers off. That's a pretty big gap built into the bottom cover. If that wasn't there, the motors could not slip down. I glued a piece of EPP about 1/4" thick to each cover and mashed that down against the motors. No problems with the screws. Solder joints looked ok.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Last edited by SD One.; Jan 24, 2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:36 PM
United States, TX, Burkburnett
Joined Oct 2010
566 Posts
IHAVE these in my 90mm f16 and they make a little noise is that normal
c payne is offline Find More Posts by c payne
Old Mar 08, 2013, 11:50 PM
Till the wings fall off!!
Joined Jun 2012
4 Posts
Has anyone used the d770 with the gt5 3axis if so what pulse width is good whith this unit narrow or wide
Rich804 is offline Find More Posts by Rich804