SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:01 PM
United States, MA, Amherst
Joined Sep 2011
189 Posts
I've got ten flights on my 3dhs 41 edge using these servos and they have been great. They really do center nicely. That said, mine did not need foam under the motor, they needed the gear on the motor to be pushed up the shaft to properly mesh with the gear (on four of the five I ordered). In the end, four hitecs would almost be the same cost as a new airframe, so I figured I'd give them a try and so far so good.

EDIT - I recommend avoiding these servos in anything you care about. In mid flight as I was diving for a low pass my rudder servo started going haywire. It is a miracle the only damage was bent landing gear. I had the same thing happen to another one and I wrote it off as a bad servo in the batch. At this point, that is two of five that did this! Even a $100 airframe is not worth it. This happened on flight number 11 this morning. Thankfully there will be a flight 12.

Others have had good success with them, and I don't see any other posts about this issue. This flapping did happen in multiple channels and on different rx's, so it is the servo. I tested several different servos (solar and other brands) in the same rx/channel as the bad solar's worked with no issue. Problem is there were no symptoms through 10 flights. There was a mild flap on the ground, but I taxied around a bit and figured I'd bumped the tx or something. Just a word of caution if that helps anyone. FYI, I have hitecs on the way..
bcamphaus is offline Find More Posts by bcamphaus
Last edited by bcamphaus; Sep 09, 2012 at 08:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:06 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,523 Posts
Sorry to hear about your hard landing, bcamphaus. If you've got some time, I'd ask you to open up the twitchy servo and inspect the motor and POT wires. I've read another post somewhere about a similar issue that turned out to be a loose solder point for a wire on the POT. And I can confirm that the internal wiring on the D654s is a bit undersized for my taste....
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:43 AM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,392 Posts
What is the POT?
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:35 AM
Joined Sep 2011
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.M View Post
Sorry to hear about your hard landing, bcamphaus....
Well, I'm thrilled about the landing! I put a lot of time into designing the plane and the fact that it's still in one piece is a miracle really. It's actually a Halloween design with spooky trees, skulls, etc. I need it to survive until our big pumpkin festival where I hope to display it! I'll definitely inspect this one, as well as another faulty one I have, this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3flyguy3 View Post
What is the POT?
It's a little electronic sensor on that relays information to the circuit board about what position it's in. The bottom of the gear shaft goes into it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potentiometer
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:51 AM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,392 Posts
Thanks. Is 3M Double sided foam tape the only foam that should be used?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:00 AM
Joined May 2011
1,523 Posts
No. Use whatever foam you have on hand. I guess even a piece of cardboard would work in a pinch. Basically any material that doesn't conduct electricity would work to provide support for the motor.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:06 AM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,392 Posts
Cool. Does the foam go directly under the motor (between motor and board) or under the board (between the board and the end cap)?
Thanks.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:21 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,027 Posts
Any way is fine , as long as it keeps the motor pushed up.
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:46 PM
Joined Sep 2011
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.M View Post
Sorry to hear about your hard landing, bcamphaus. If you've got some time, I'd ask you to open up the twitchy servo and inspect the motor and POT wires. I've read another post somewhere about a similar issue that turned out to be a loose solder point for a wire on the POT. And I can confirm that the internal wiring on the D654s is a bit undersized for my taste....
I opened up the two servos in question. The one that was in the plane (that tested out fine and worked for 10 flights) had very small wire fraying where the servo leads connect to the board. The solder connections were not very clean and there were a couple strands coming out of adjoining wires. These strands had shifted and were coming in contact with each other causing the servo to go nuts. I'll resolder those and see if it works after that.

The other servo has no visible signs of problems and is a lot worse than the first one as far as the flapping goes. I suspect the pot is bad, or there is some problem with the main circuit board. This one I'll probably just use as a spare set of gears...
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:20 PM
Joined Sep 2011
189 Posts
Just to round out my contribution to this discussion. Just for the heck of it, I replaced the wires going to the POT and the motor (because they broke while removing the pot) on the final bad servo. After five minutes of testing on two rx's, it has been solid. Before that, it was all over the place from the minute it was plugged it. So would I trust it in an $$ aircraft at this point. I'd say yes, but I'd want to fly it in a foam plane that I don't mind crashing first.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:51 PM
Joined May 2011
1,523 Posts
Thanks for the report, bcamphaus. I too am very suspicious of those flimsy wires and plan to replace them during my next scheduled maintenance teardown.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:14 PM
mixfisto
Joined Feb 2012
7 Posts
Dr M. I have the Solar D654's and love them! Been flying them for awhile now. I have a set on one 300x heli, and HAD the stock servos on my second 300x. Had enough of the stockers...After 1 going bad, and having to change out all the gears for the 3rd time, I've just ordered another set (3) of the Solars!

I agree with you that either spend the $9 or the $30+. If I ever get a bigger, more expensive heli, I'll probably get some MKS servos and call it a day. But for my Blade Helis, these are great.

Question: I'm running mine at 50Hz (couldn't for the life of me find the proper spec for this). Do you know what the proper setting would be...or what you are running? Mine are working great like this, but maybe they could even improve?!
mixfisto is offline Find More Posts by mixfisto
Last edited by mixfisto; Sep 20, 2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:03 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,286 Posts
Not sure if you guys using the D654 have the same problem but in a crash the D650 can damage the case internally causing binding. At the top of the case inside the hole for the gear shaft will get widen by the shaft which prevents proper gear mesh. Between the one plastic gear that sometimes breaks and this case problem I will be moving on to a set of better servos for my 450s. Looking at the blue bird servos at hobbyking.
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:07 AM
Joined May 2011
1,523 Posts
Hi mixfisto,

I could not find the frame rate of these servos either, but they should be able to handle way more than 50Hz. I run mine at 111Hz - 40+ flights so far and all is well. Even if I could, I would not push them higher than 250Hz.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:01 PM
Joined May 2011
1,523 Posts
Installed the D770 into the Pantera last nite. I had it powered up and controlled at 333Hz, while vigurously shaking the gyro for 5 mins to simulate extreme vibes and abuse. It seems to be performing well on the bench - remained cool to the touch with no visible problems. Maiden flight scheduled soon