HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:05 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,523 Posts
If paying more gives you peace of mind, by all means, go ahead and do whatever floats your boat... err... flies your heli

I believe that in this hobby price is no guarantee of quality and inexpensive servos or FBL controllers can work just as good as the top-shelf brands that cost 10x more. Conversely, you could pay a lot of cash for a POS part that burns your heli or house down (lookup the CC ICE HV issues).

The Solar servos I'm using now work as good or better as much more expensive servos. Do they have issues? sure, but so do the big-name brands. Do a simple and free mod and you've got a very well-performing servo for under $10.
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2012, 04:47 PM
USA, CA, Red Bluff
Joined Dec 2007
952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.M View Post
If paying more gives you peace of mind, by all means, go ahead and do whatever floats your boat... err... flies your heli

I believe that in this hobby price is no guarantee of quality and inexpensive servos or FBL controllers can work just as good as the top-shelf brands that cost 10x more. Conversely, you could pay a lot of cash for a POS part that burns your heli or house down (lookup the CC ICE HV issues).

The Solar servos I'm using now work as good or better as much more expensive servos. Do they have issues? sure, but so do the big-name brands. Do a simple and free mod and you've got a very well-performing servo for under $10.
Its a free mod only when it don't cost a fist full of dollars to repair your heli
If you like to expirment thats fine. Like you say-what ever flys your heli
prop bender is offline Find More Posts by prop bender
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:43 PM
Joined May 2011
1,523 Posts
Yeah, I paid the repair bill, but now you don't have to. So free mod for you and I'm still cheaper than a set of ds95's. Win win really
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:32 AM
Joined May 2006
1,237 Posts

The specs sheet looks interesting. at a price of less than $10 is seems to have a decent price for a digital servo with that specs and is metal geared. Hows the resolution of these servos?
soneebee is offline Find More Posts by soneebee
Old Aug 18, 2012, 01:08 PM
Joined May 2011
1,523 Posts
They are super fast, perfect centering, no slop and no overshoot. Also very quiet and smooth. I was really impressed when I first saw them. They perform and feel better than Align 410s. Definitely not your typical cheapo digitals like the infamous Hk 922/933.

Here are the bad parts. The case plastic feels good, but is soft and flexy. Very easy to strip the threads of the 4 case screws. Inside, the POT and motor wires are super thin and flimsy. The receiver wire has no strain relief so you gotta be careful with the mounting. There's of course, the problem from the first post. And, finally, they use a non-standard output shaft, so you are limited to their own horns which are always out of stock.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:57 AM
Savannah, Ga, USA
Joined Feb 2009
462 Posts
lol, other than all that bad stuff, they're great.
Beachcomber is offline Find More Posts by Beachcomber
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:31 PM
Joined May 2011
1,523 Posts
what do you expect of a $9 servo? You accept some compromise, or you shell out 10x the cash for ds95's.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:14 PM
Joined May 2006
1,237 Posts
I guess there are a lot of new digitals out in the market that are sharing a fair slice of the Pie.. I remember long ago for these micro servos the only way to go was HItec HS65Mg's and these paved way for the new servos with its dimensions...

its been years since i used Hitecs.. although I still have it on one of My BA's.. wow i think those servos are already 5 yrs old.. but they still work.. and to think their analogs running on a FBL unit.. hehehehe,,,,

but seriously.. these new servos are getting better and cheaper .. if only long time ago there servos were out.. wow i guess hard 3D must have come a lot sooner..
For $9 ago.. you can only get Tower PRO 9g.. with plastic gears.. you cannot even get HS65HB's or even the HS50's with plastic gears...

a lot has progressed. and china is really coming out with cheap parts...
soneebee is offline Find More Posts by soneebee
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:41 PM
Joined May 2011
1,523 Posts
First tests on the D770 are very promissing. I took the servo apart and it looks very respectable in there. Nice soldering on the boards, but the Rx wires are pretty poorly soldered. The gear train is flawless: dual ball bearing support on the output shaft, oversized gears, beefy gear support pins, very little backlash. There was about 1mm of space inside the back cap, so, to prevent possible issues, with the motor sliding away, I added some padding just like the D654 (3M 4011 outdoor tape; gray).

Speed tests: 0.11@6V; 0.09@7V, pretty close to spec. These things have a spec of 11kg-cm

Stress test:
1) operated the servo for 2-3 minutes at 7.4V while putting near-stall pressure on the horn with my fingers.
2) plugged it into the rudder port on my Total-G FBL controller and operated the rudder controls while shaking the heli (causing the gyro to command constant corrections) for 5 minutes. Given, there was no load on the servo, it seemed to work well - no glitches, smooth operation and, although the motor got a bit warm, the electronics remained cool.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 01:28 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Sep 2011
6 Posts
I was about to order some of these servos good thing I found this.
Oh Look a Cow is offline Find More Posts by Oh Look a Cow
Old Aug 22, 2012, 03:32 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Look a Cow View Post
I was about to order some of these servos good thing I found this.
So are you glad you found it so you don't order them, or so that you can inspect them?

I just ordered some D658's. Also got some JR Dubro horns. I'll let you guys know if they fit.
I will also do some severe bench testing, and take them apart for inspection.
I am putting these in a 3DHS 51" Slick
Alex Schauer is online now Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:07 PM
Head in the clouds
United States, NC, Gastonia
Joined Jan 2012
1,070 Posts
Thanks Dr. M for the help. I was able to get my servo working by pushing the motor in. I did the mod with the foam to the rest of them so all should be good now.
nascar1929 is offline Find More Posts by nascar1929
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:37 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,291 Posts
Good to know about the D654s. I was going to try them next. I've been using D650s with good success and A107s with great success in my foamies and my Edge 41 but for anything bigger, I've stuck with Hitecs.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:55 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,600 Posts
I got a few D658's....they suck.
I will write about it tomorrow.
Ordered some Hs85MGs instead
Alex Schauer is online now Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:38 PM
Joined May 2011
1,523 Posts