Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 03, 2012, 09:10 AM
Happy Newbie
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2011
86 Posts
Question
Ground-Vehicle Lights?

Hello! I realise the light control itself probably doesn't care what kind of vehicle it's riding in, so long as it's controlling lights.

My first foray into this stuff I thought would be simple, but I'm not sure I can even do what I want to do w/o just arduino'ing it myself!

Right now I drive a 1/10th scale truck, an Axial Wraith specifically. it comes with running-lights, 2x red rear, 4x white front. Always on. What I was thinking about was something more like this:
  • Option 0: Dark mode, all lights off
  • Option 1: Running Lights (current setup)
  • Option 2: Trail-lights on

And I'd like to be able to add another entry or two. Eventually I was also thinking about rock lights for some night crawling, and of course an "all on" section with trail/running/rock/etc all on.

Is there any currently existing light control system that can handle this setup, or am I going to need to figure out how to program an arduino or pic or something to finger this out?

Thanks very much!
Scurvy is offline Find More Posts by Scurvy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:46 PM
AMA 964040
USA, MA, Worcester
Joined Oct 2008
220 Posts
How many channels do you have? There are cheap and easy to use receiver controlled switches that can turn single LED circuits on:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...d_Switch_.html

Or, there are ones for multiple circuits:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...f_Switch_.html
MAP123 is offline Find More Posts by MAP123
Old Aug 04, 2012, 12:08 AM
Happy Newbie
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2011
86 Posts
I'm only running the stock 2-ch right now, but I have a bunch of Tx/Rx modules for the 9x ready to go when I get some time or a more pressing need for more channels.

I hadn't seen those HK ones before. lol! Still not used to checking them, dunno why they slip my mind all the time! Thanks!
Last edited by Scurvy; Aug 04, 2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 01:58 PM
AMA 964040
USA, MA, Worcester
Joined Oct 2008
220 Posts
Yeah, Hobby King is where I got most of my night flying stuff, including those single receiver controlled switches. I haven't used the multiple circuit one before, that looks interesting, and it says it only uses one channel. Remember, that you could hook those switches to a Y-connector and run them off your existing channels. They will switch on or off when the signal passes the center of the channel, so you could maybe have reverse lights or something come on when you back up.

Also, the single switches have a failsafe position for when they lose signal. You can arrange the little jumper plugs so that it will either go on or go off, or flash on and off when signal is lost. That means, if you wire them up to a circuit, then don't plug it into your receiver, you could have that circuit just flash on and off on it's own, if that setting is any use to you.

Your other option is to use a brushed speed controller, which is basically just a receiver controlled variable resistor. That would let the LEDs come on when they hit their minimum voltage, then get brighter as the voltage increases. So, if you ran that on a Y-connector with your throttle, your lights would get brighter as you give it more gas.

There are so many great options with lights now and it makes flying or driving at night possible. Night flying is great in the summer both because it can be really hot during the day, and also because there is much less wind at night to contend with. That last one is probably not a concern for you, but for me it's a big one.

Anyway, have fun lighting up your neighborhood!
MAP123 is offline Find More Posts by MAP123
Old Aug 07, 2012, 05:08 PM
Happy Newbie
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2011
86 Posts
OMFGTYVM!
lol
Sorry, I just hadn't put 2+2 together on the "they switch at half-way" that I'd read with what that actually meant in use. So one wired parallel w/ throttle, set to turn 'on' backwards == reverse lights. Of course it does.

It looks like what I want to do won't be too hard, except maybe all-dark, unless I have everything wired through a single one of these first....
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:04 PM
Happy Newbie
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2011
86 Posts
Sorry, another silly follow-up, where is a good place to buy LEDs, with leads preferably, and will they come ready-to-plug?