SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:13 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,525 Posts
Help!
Can I travel with my plane?

Ok the plane is a 32" profile 3d Extra Slick from Twisted Hobbys. I am curious if I can hold it in my hand while going through security on the airport. I want to bring it back with me to school instead of letting it sit at home.

Thanks,
Kev
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:59 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,272 Posts
Are you going to hold it on your lap for the flight? What if the stew......er...flight attendant tells you to stow it in the overhead?? Best to call the local airline office and ask ahead of time.

Good luck, but I doubt airline or security will let it happen. Why not ship it?
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Aug 03, 2012, 11:03 AM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2011
306 Posts
Yeah, it's really unlikely that you're going to be allowed on the plane with it. Not due to safety or anything, but just because it's too big to be safely stowed under the seats or in the overhead compartment.
WombatControl is offline Find More Posts by WombatControl
Old Aug 03, 2012, 11:06 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,525 Posts
Alright, I'll try calling them about it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2012, 03:58 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,333 Posts
the size and bulk of the plane may be an issue. Also the batteries would be the biggest issue. A lot of places do not allow Lipoly bats onto planes. They are concerend about the decrease in cabin preasure causeing them the explode.

Just like the US Post office lists batteries as "hazardous" to ship.
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
Old Aug 04, 2012, 06:14 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2011
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutcastZeroOne View Post
the size and bulk of the plane may be an issue. Also the batteries would be the biggest issue. A lot of places do not allow Lipoly bats onto planes. They are concerend about the decrease in cabin preasure causeing them the explode.

Yet they're able to ship your: iPod, cellphone, laptop, Nintendo DS, iPad just fine.

I suggest modifying your airplane to be easily diassembled and reassembled. Then place it in your luggage bags protected between clothing. Seeing as you are going to be in one place for a while, i assume you will mostlikely have more than one luggage bag, so unplugging the electronics and placing wings and fuselage in separate bags wouldn't be a problem.
AssassinXCV is offline Find More Posts by AssassinXCV
Old Aug 04, 2012, 07:49 PM
United Kingdom, England, St. Ives
Joined May 2012
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutcastZeroOne View Post
Also the batteries would be the biggest issue. A lot of places do not allow Lipoly bats onto planes. They are concerend about the decrease in cabin preasure causeing them the explode.

I have travelled between Dallas to London and New York to Dallas this year with lipo's without a problem. First trip was with 3 x 2200mAH 3s batteries and the second with 3 x 850 mAH batteries.

You must carry them as carry on baggage and at storage voltage. I carry them in a lipo sack. My transmitter in my carry on baggage normally raises a few eyebrows when they see it the xraymachine but as soon as you explain - no problems.

It is extremely unlikely that you will be able to carry on the model.
focae is offline Find More Posts by focae
Old Aug 04, 2012, 11:10 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AssassinXCV View Post
Yet they're able to ship your: iPod, cellphone, laptop, Nintendo DS, iPad just fine.
those devices batteries have a hard case. less likely to have an issue but yeah, I know that a lot of carriers get antsy if they find you are shipping lipos airmail. Atleast the "more experianceed" workers do. I think its a lot to do with some bad batch some where that went off and caused issues and gave everything a bad wrap. I know I have never personally herd of anyone having an issue with batteries on planes. Maybe on a smaller plane that isnt as preasurized as a big passenger plane?

Sounds like a fun test to see Mythbusters
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
Old Aug 04, 2012, 11:35 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,525 Posts
I'll just try and have the plane shipped to me. The batteries are travelling with me though.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:50 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
A UPS 747 crashed some time back, a fire on board was the cause. Lithium batteries that were not declared were suspect as the cause. Here is a link to an early report of the crash, http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...s-plane-crash/

Guessing that Airline Safety Officials may have a point on transporting Lipos on airliners.....

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:04 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,525 Posts
It was most likely taken through a checked bag though.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:34 AM
United Kingdom, England, St. Ives
Joined May 2012
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
A UPS 747 crashed some time back, a fire on board was the cause. Lithium batteries that were not declared were suspect as the cause. Here is a link to an early report of the crash, http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...s-plane-crash/

Guessing that Airline Safety Officials may have a point on transporting Lipos on airliners.....

Fred
You can carry upto 200W of lipo batteries in carry-on baggage. Lipos are not allowed at all in checked baggage.
focae is offline Find More Posts by focae