HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:09 PM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Dec 2010
320 Posts
Discussion
What do you think about NitroPlanes?

I, like many others am interested in 46 to 50 sized nitro ARFs. I trust Hangar 9 and GreatPlanes since they have great customer support and warranty. I have only ordered one thing from nitroplanes but that was 3 years ago and it was a little electric glider. I'm now into the bigger, more expensive things that can be easily broken. I am interested in this http://www.nitroplanes.com/newnicmpf4uc.html
and also this http://www.nitroplanes.com/cmp076-fa...-pt19-kit.html
and don't forget this http://www.nitroplanes.com/cacltw0en80n1.html So I wanted to know if these planes are actually what the website says they are. Has anyone ordered nitro ARFs from nitroplanes? How was your experience with them?
Rcflyyer1 is offline Find More Posts by Rcflyyer1
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:31 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,055 Posts
I've had a few.
I've always said that Nitroplanes (among others) ARF's are builders ARF's.

Fit and finish (read: pieces lining up like wings to fuselage) is always a hit and miss.
Like a low wing plane where one wing meets fuselage perfectly but the other side is a little high.

I never use any of their hardware so I can't comment on it. I use Dubro only.

I've also had shipping damage which isn't really their fault but I cant say it wasn't damaged on the trip over from china so.
Had a plane that the outer and inner box looked immaculate but there was a broken bulkhead inside the fiberglass fuse?

No experience personally but have read that some kits use no balsa but hardwoods instead. Think their Seniorita clone is one of them= HEAVY.

In summary they are good kits that if you put a little time into making things fit rite you will have a great looking plane.
1320fastback is online now Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:03 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,833 Posts
I have bought some ARFs from Nitroplanes, and as 1320fastback stated the ARFs are more "Builder's kits" for more experienced modelers. Usually the hardware included doesn't have a lot that is useable. For example the clevis's don't fit on the wire pushrods, and the little clevis pins tend to break off very easily. The landing gear wire may not be spring wire or piano wire and too soft. Also none of the kits I have or had; have had any instructions worth using. But usually they go together Ok if you have built planes before. You also want to glue in the landing gear blocks a little more and maybe even use some fiberglass cloth strips to reinforce them on fiberglass fuselages as the factory tends to be frugal on the glue useage. Don't bother using the mechanical retracts that come with some of the ARFs, they aren't worth the effort of trying.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:16 PM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Dec 2010
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
I have bought some ARFs from Nitroplanes, and as 1320fastback stated the ARFs are more "Builder's kits" for more experienced modelers. Usually the hardware included doesn't have a lot that is useable. For example the clevis's don't fit on the wire pushrods, and the little clevis pins tend to break off very easily. The landing gear wire may not be spring wire or piano wire and too soft. Also none of the kits I have or had; have had any instructions worth using. But usually they go together Ok if you have built planes before. You also want to glue in the landing gear blocks a little more and maybe even use some fiberglass cloth strips to reinforce them on fiberglass fuselages as the factory tends to be frugal on the glue useage. Don't bother using the mechanical retracts that come with some of the ARFs, they aren't worth the effort of trying.
Thanks. Do you think I could have one if i've built a Great Planes ARF before? I have a lanier kit that i'm building too the stinger 40 so is that enough experience in your opinion?
Rcflyyer1 is offline Find More Posts by Rcflyyer1
Old Aug 03, 2012, 02:08 AM
Joined May 2011
41 Posts
Unlike the popular opinion that Nitro Planes is a total ripoff, I've had fantastic results from Nitro.

If you don't have a clue about building you'll have a hard time with Nitro Planes. If you've built a few balsa airplanes it's super simple to put an ARF together - and that's the point. Nitro Planes SAVES MONEY IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING.

Sorry for the CAPS, but regardless of what's thrown around on here, Nitro Planes is a good deal. Although evidently some guy got a plane built from hardwood that was heavy - BUT - I think this was a rare event because the guys I know that buy from Nitro, including myself, have not had this problem.
Blue_Sky is offline Find More Posts by Blue_Sky
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:10 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcflyyer1 View Post
Thanks. Do you think I could have one if i've built a Great Planes ARF before? I have a lanier kit that i'm building too the stinger 40 so is that enough experience in your opinion?
Yes, maybe you could. Only one way to find out for sure.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2012, 08:51 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,079 Posts
I won a Nitro planes BOBCAT once....so I can't comment on customer support...
The aircraft itself....well..... I wouldn't use any of the hardware, the instructions were horrible, I had to change the nose strut to make it long enough to get the leading edge of the wing up enough to take off. Once all that was taken care of it was a good airplane.
Now this was 3 or 4 years ago. Perhaps they have improved.
Their aircraft that other guys have, seem to fly OK
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Aug 03, 2012, 09:48 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,833 Posts
I think for customer support that one has to be patient as they don't have a lot of resources or people handling customer service. So you need to wait a while before they respond. You also have to be succinct or straight to the point when asking or inquiring about something. If you post a vaguely worded question or problem they are likely not to answer. Also include the order numbers, etc so they have all of the information needed about it too.

I had one issue with a backorder that never got filled and it took a couple of weeks but they did refund the money for it. So I have not had a problem with them as to customer service.
But I know some others have though.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:36 AM
Joined May 2012
432 Posts
There is no customer support from NP, there bigger planes are a bunch better then there little toy planes you are looking at. By builders ARFs they mean you must now how to glue in some supports Behind the fire wall and LG block then replace some hardware, there is Zero building in an ARF, some do require a bit more glue used then others. Some of the giant scale or bigger ARFs NP is selling are showing a lot more quality over the last few years but they are selling for several hundred dollars. The low priced planes built by CMP are still total crap. They will however fly and last you for a short while before you need to replace them. Other then minor problems one student did have good luck with there 90-120 size Extra. It did take a ton of weight in the nose but the construction wasn't too bad for the price. I assembled it for the kid and did the required repairs before flight. The plane lasted long enough until he was able to get the next kit built. Then it started to self distruct. It was OK for the price and did it's job.
Gray Beard is offline Find More Posts by Gray Beard
Old Aug 03, 2012, 01:43 PM
United States, OH, Bowling Green
Joined Jun 2012
220 Posts
I was searching today to find something on Nitro, so far this is my experience with them.

I ordered up My Dynam P51 back in June, packaged arrived with in 10 days of ordering! thought that was great!, i open box there is no extra prop, canopy had glue all over the inside and pilot was loose and having a party in there. So ........as of yesterday it would be 8 times i have contacted them regarding this issue, and guess what they have stated every time, yup you got and i quote "you will get your parts shipped out today" that quote i have heard more than 3 times, here is the other "it should be shipping soon" that one i have heard also multiple times. They have actually admitted several times that the parts are in stock. Next.....I have now ordered some spare parts a few wks ago, parts are in stock but guess what, they still have not shipped them, and i did already pay via paypal! omg!

Talk about getting frustrated! i was going to order a few more of those dynam planes but i will not go through Nitro! If i have to i will go get another brand of plane.

Regards,
Ubootwo
Ubootwo is offline Find More Posts by Ubootwo
Old Aug 03, 2012, 02:19 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,561 Posts
Anything I had interest in was never in stock. So, I never ordered and never had to deal with customer support or lack of......

I've looked several times over the course of a year at the same planes. Never were in stock, but still listed on the web site. Their loss if they can't keep stock on hand.
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Start of a new chapter.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 04:08 PM
United States, CO, Arvada
Joined Nov 2010
690 Posts
You all know how badly I think NitroCRAPplanes sucks, all I can say is go ahead and spend your money with them, you'll regret every penny.
cherokeenut is online now Find More Posts by cherokeenut
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:42 PM
Joined May 2012
432 Posts
Over on RC Universe there are too many pages to count about the total crap and lack of support at Nitro. Well worth doing a search if you are thinking of using them. Most of what they sell are CMP, China Model Products and you can buy them from better places. Or take the time and learn to build??
Gray Beard is offline Find More Posts by Gray Beard
Old Aug 05, 2012, 12:10 AM
Joined May 2011
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Beard View Post
Over on RC Universe there are too many pages to count about the total crap and lack of support at Nitro. Well worth doing a search if you are thinking of using them. Most of what they sell are CMP, China Model Products and you can buy them from better places. Or take the time and learn to build??
People say total crap and lack of support. BS. I've had a great experience with Nitro.

My last 6 airplanes have been purchased from Nitro. They are all FANTASTIC. You guys that complain are wimps. You want everything handed to you at those low prices? Get a clue.

You WIMPS want perfect instruction manuals and won't get it. The Chinese have obviously difficulties with the English Language and if you don't know how to put an airplane together don't buy from Nitro. End of story, move on.
Blue_Sky is offline Find More Posts by Blue_Sky
Old Aug 05, 2012, 02:54 PM
United States, CO, Arvada
Joined Nov 2010
690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Sky View Post
People say total crap and lack of support. BS. I've had a great experience with Nitro.

My last 6 airplanes have been purchased from Nitro. They are all FANTASTIC. You guys that complain are wimps. You want everything handed to you at those low prices? Get a clue.

You WIMPS want perfect instruction manuals and won't get it. The Chinese have obviously difficulties with the English Language and if you don't know how to put an airplane together don't buy from Nitro. End of story, move on.
Wow, takes balls to call a 200 pound ex Marine a wimp. As far as wanting everything handed to me? I just want my money's worth. An 11 pound Kadet made primarily of hardwood that flys like the Spruce Goose is not my money's worth. A plane that I can't get parts for because customer support never answers the phone or emails is not my mony's worth. An ASP 46 that has a rod knock and no tech support is not my money's worth. Are you gtting the picture here? I have gone back to building because the ARF world in general has gone to crap, but Nitroplanes excells at it. One other thing, hardware packages that are junk, clevises that slip over too small rods, tanks that are made of brittle plastic, these are not my money's worh. Oh, and shut up.
cherokeenut is online now Find More Posts by cherokeenut