Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 18, 2003, 09:04 PM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Anyone built the Beldone Models Canadair CL-415?

Guys,
Just got a good deal on a Beldone Models Canadair CL-415 kit from rogwinger and would like feedback from anyone who has built the plane other than Anton Eisele the designer, on the build and the flying attributes.
Any changes you would make or add to the kit, power system, etc.

I'm sure I can figure her out. Just would like to hear from others on this plane.

Too bad Mark Thompson isn't kitting his awesome 415 or I'd buy one in a flash.

Can't wait to get her on the pond and in the air!!

Perry
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2003, 10:02 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Mar 1999
1,613 Posts
Perry:
Anton's in my club, and I was present for some of the earliest water flights of the prototype. I was very impressed by the capabilities; it was the equal of any of the i.c. planes at the float-fly that day. My flying buddy Robert ( RMFISH on these forums) bought a set of plans, and has almost completed the build, from scratch. He says that the kit would have been much easier, and quicker! Even with the kit, it's still a build for the experienced modeller, which you must be, after completing the Mars . I think you will not be dissapointed with the model, though it's not in the same "wow" class as the Mars.
Brad.
Brad Trent is offline Find More Posts by Brad Trent
Old Nov 18, 2003, 10:50 PM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Brad,
Thanks for the info. The 415 has always been a favorite of mine. Even though it doesn't have the "wow factor" as the Mars, it still is IMO, a very good looking plane. And from what I have read about other 415's from different manufacturers i.e. MR Design, Aeronaut, etc, they all share very stable and manageable flight characteristics.

Perry
Old Nov 18, 2003, 10:55 PM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
Dude!

Perry,

You are My Man! A step...or several...ahead of me, all the time.

You will have the -15 in the air in almost no time, I have no doubt. Do ask Bombardier for other color schemes, though...unless you can't live without yellow and red

If I could find the 8x10 they sent me of the Royal Thai Navy -215, I would post it...Awesome scheme. It was on my CL-215 from about 1984 until I destroyed it, just a few months ago. (I stomped the fuselage, so I would not fly it again. Just too old, and 'frail' in some areas). Sure am looking forward to flying one again, electric. My favorite model of all I have had.

My suggestion: Think of the Mars, and its designer, and then 'lighten' the kit accordingly...when I read the article and saw the plan, I felt it was heavier than need be.

Going to do another 'build along with Perry' thread?

Terry
temacc is offline Find More Posts by temacc
Old Nov 18, 2003, 11:05 PM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Re: Dude!

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry
Do ask Bombardier for other color schemes, though...unless you can't live without yellow and red

If I could find the 8x10 they sent me of the Royal Thai Navy -215, I would post it...Awesome scheme. It was on my CL-215 from about 1984 until I destroyed it, just a few months ago. (I stomped the fuselage, so I would not fly it again. Just too old, and 'frail' in some areas). Sure am looking forward to flying one again, electric. My favorite model of all I have had.

My suggestion: Think of the Mars, and its designer, and then 'lighten' the kit accordingly...when I read the article and saw the plan, I felt it was heavier than need be.

Going to do another 'build along with Perry' thread?

Terry
Hey Terry lol!
I did send a letter off to Bombardier Aeronautique yesterday via snail mail requesting the literature you showed me at Washougal. I have seen the Royal Thai Air Force Scheme and it looks great. Still debating on color but I have a way to go yet before the final pick.

As far as another "build along", uh......maybe Anton already did a build along in S&E November 2000 on it. So, to not bore anyone else in a repeat, I might sit this one out. I'll still take pics of the construction as I do all of my models and if I get enough response from this thread to do a Canadair "build up" thread, then I'll do it. Might have to move it to the waterplanes forum.

Perry

P.S. Any news from Paul (wink, wink)??
Last edited by Rudderman98; Nov 27, 2003 at 11:19 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 11:20 PM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,456 Posts
Plans are sitting on the building board right now guys. Wood is sitting next to them. First step... redraw the plans...(different plans than the Beldone plans) as there are some structure changes, next start framing the fuse....

Fuse will be stick built similar to the Mars.

Oh, I remember my other hold up...I don't have any pins anymore...I went to start building about a week back but couldnt' find any pins..thanks for reminding me...I gotta get them tomorrow when I go to the LHS.

--Paul
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 18, 2003, 11:27 PM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
There you are Paul!!

Perry
Old Nov 19, 2003, 12:37 AM
Slovenia, Europe.
Joined Nov 2000
123 Posts
Guys,

I have the plans for the Antonís CL-415 sitting in a corner for almost three years and plan to build it some day ... I just hope I won't have to wait till my retirement ... I still have a long way to go!

Anyway, I would really appreciate if you could post some photos of your build, list the modifications you will make, etc.

Cheers,
Bostjan
Blue Bird is offline Find More Posts by Blue Bird
Old Nov 27, 2003, 11:24 PM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Bostjan,
Since you've requested a build up thread on the Canadair, I'll go ahead and do it. Still deciding whether the thread should be posted in the scale forums or the waterplanes forums. I like the scale forums better for there is more hits on this forum than the waterplane forum.

Any thoughts you guy's??

Perry
Old Nov 28, 2003, 12:54 AM
Slovenia, Europe.
Joined Nov 2000
123 Posts
Perry,

That is great news! I vote for the scale forum because it is my favourite and besides ... I have no intention of flying mine from the water.

Cheers,
Bostjan
Blue Bird is offline Find More Posts by Blue Bird
Old Nov 28, 2003, 10:29 AM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
SCALE

Too few views in Waterplanes, as you noted.

And...a View-along may inspire another young man to build one!

Terry
temacc is offline Find More Posts by temacc
Old Nov 28, 2003, 10:48 AM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Re: SCALE

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry
Too few views in Waterplanes, as you noted.

And...a View-along may inspire another young man to build one!

Terry
Roger that Terry

Perry
Old Nov 29, 2003, 05:13 AM
New Zealand, Taranaki, Midhirst
Joined Feb 1999
3,424 Posts
You mean this scheme.

Both the HU-16 and the CL-215 flew in the same color scheme. This consisted of overall navy blue except for the upper fuselage half, which was white. A black anti glare shield was painted in front of the cockpit. The wingtips where painted orange. A black bordered orange band was carried around the rear fuselage. The Navy title was carried on a black bordered yellow field on the forward fuselage. For the HU-16B there is only one option, and that is the aircraft nr 7235 that is preserved at the Royal Thai Navy Museum at Samut Phakarn. Oddly enough the other surviving machine is preserved with exactly the same markings at U Tapao. Which of these two machines is the real 7235 is unknown. Decals for the Albatross include roundels, fin flash, registration, navy title and a host of smaller markings. The orange fuselage band and black borders have to be hand painted. For both CL-215ís there are 2 options. An early scheme and a later scheme. These schemes differ only in the size of the navy title and the registration number. Again the orange fuselage band and its black borders have to be hand painted. The black walkways on the fuselage top are not included either but I suspect that these are present on the decal sheet that comes with the kit. Decals for the CL-215 include again a full set of roundels, fin flash, registration and serial numbers, navy titles, and a host of smaller markings. Note that salt water and harsh sunshine wreak havoc on paints, and consequently these machines have a rather matte and faded appearance.

Sluf7
Sluf7 is offline Find More Posts by Sluf7
Old Nov 29, 2003, 05:36 AM
New Zealand, Taranaki, Midhirst
Joined Feb 1999
3,424 Posts
another
Sluf7 is offline Find More Posts by Sluf7
Old Nov 29, 2003, 11:06 AM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Hey Terry,
Look what sluf found!! I'll leave this color scheme for you when you're ready to build your 415.

I have found the scheme I will use on mine. It is the same one Slopenut used on his.

Thanks Sluf for the pictures

Perry