HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:20 PM
Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Joined Dec 2007
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Any ideas on what else could be added? Maybe a small buzzer that would buzz when you would flick a switch...For example if three-way switch would be in the center it would buzz two times, if at the top it would buzz 3 times and if at the bottom one time...
Gosh I sure hope the ppm stream will be nice for my 9x transmitter, fingers crossed it works...will you help me if it doesn't?
Not sure I understand what you mean about the 3-way switch.......there are no switches other than the ones on the stick.
There is a buzzer output on pin13 which beeps when you activate any switch including the trigger and thumb switch.

If I can help then I will.

Ian.
IanJ is offline Find More Posts by IanJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:28 PM
Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Joined Dec 2007
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiK View Post
Hi Ian,

great piece of work!
I will try to use it with TH9X in trainer port. Any experience with this (regarding PPM voltage level etc)?
Will your code work on Atmega1280 (I own a Seeeduino Mega) or really only with 2560?

Kai
Yes, I believe it will work with the 1280 also.

I have zero experience with anything other than Futaba, however, would love to hear how you get on with the TH9X.
This page has some info on the PPM port and a necessary hack if you are running old firmware:
http://www.hacksmods.com/category/turnigy-9x/

Ian.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:30 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,425 Posts
Whoops I missed that, I thought those aux switches are external switches not on the joystick, and aux pots external pots...so I'll make a request,...Can you add support for maybe 1 or 2 threeway switches...With this I mean those 3-way switches like in "normal" transmitters:

http://api.ning.com/files/wYEe-q5HsJ...hWQ__/Tgy1.jpg

A threeway switch would be useful for setting flight modes like: rth, auto, manual

Maybe some two way switch could be used also....And maybe some potentiometer...
These could be useful for deploying flaps or spoilerons,...Could you add in the code a function for a slowed deployment of flaps/or spoilers.

Also an idea for a feature: maybe it would be also useful if there were one or two mixes between two channels available to be made?
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
Last edited by msev; Aug 26, 2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:05 PM
Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Joined Dec 2007
607 Posts
Quote:
Whoops I missed that, I thought those aux switches are external switches not on the joystick, and aux pots external pots...so I'll make a request,...Can you add support for maybe 1 or 2 threeway switches...With this I mean those 3-way switches like in "normal" transmitters:

http://api.ning.com/files/wYEe-q5HsJ...hWQ__/Tgy1.jpg

A threeway switch would be useful for setting flight modes like: rth, auto, manual

Maybe some two way switch could be used also....And maybe some potentiometer...
These could be useful for deploying flaps or spoilerons,...Could you add in the code a function for a slowed deployment of flaps/or spoilers.

Also an idea for a feature: maybe it would be also useful if there were one or two mixes between two channels available to be made?
I designed this version so that there would be no external switches at all so I won't be adding them myself, however, the code is easily adaptable so anyone else can take a shot.

Ian.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:09 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,425 Posts
So how do you change flight modes on your aeroquad? What about the other features i proposed.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:55 AM
Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Joined Dec 2007
607 Posts
Quote:
So how do you change flight modes on your aeroquad? What about the other features i proposed.

Aux Switch 1 & 2:-
There are six buttons on the base of the joystick and basically two of them are assigned to Aux Switch 1 & 2. The other four buttons are used to navigate round the LCD menu system, make changes and set High/Medium/Low rates.

Trim mode & Aux Pot 1 & 2:-
On the top of the grip are 4 pushbuttons (next to the top hat) which are used in pairs for Aux Pot 1 & 2 (up/dn controls).
The top hat is used for trim on AEL & ELE.

Aux Pot mode:-
The top hat is used for controlling Aux Pot 1 & 2. The idea of this mode is to control a couple of servo's for a FPV camera.
The 4 pushbuttons next to the top hat are disabled.

Trigger & Thumb switch:-
Operating these you are able to force Aux Pot 1 & 2 to specific values, i.e. 0%, 50% or 100%. The idea here is to force an FPV camera to front and centre.
I still have a bit of tweaking to do in the code here i.e. whether the forced values stick or not. Probably they should.

Other:-
So, lets say you need the equivalent of a 3-way switch on a specific channel then by configuring the system you can replicate it, i.e. you could use one of the Aux Pot channels, set it to the PPM output required and using the buttons on the top of the stick you can set the output in any of the three states. It's not 100% ideal because it's not a quick action 3-way switch but the point is it can be done.
I didn't want to add in any external switches so everything has to be done using only the Joystick switches/buttons/knobs. However, the code is easily changed by anyone who knows Arduino and any amount of external switches/pots can be added.
It's even possible to extend beyond 8 PPM channels albeit would require a tad more Arduino knowledge to modify the timer accordingly.

Ian.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:10 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,425 Posts
I wasn't entirely sure about what button does what so thanks for clearing that up..Cool so for flaps Aux pot or aux switch button could be used..
What about that 3-way switch button emulation, will you add it to your code?
I don't have any arduino knowledge ..I just know how to #define something in the code...So that's not alot of knowledge

I have to build it first tho
Last edited by msev; Aug 27, 2012 at 03:33 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:55 AM
Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Joined Dec 2007
607 Posts
Quote:
What about that 3-way switch button emulation, will you add it to your code?
Possibly, but it would be making some of the existing buttons even more mult-function than they are aleady.

Ian.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:13 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanJ View Post
Possibly, but it would be making some of the existing buttons even more mult-function than they are aleady.

Ian.
Maybe you could do it like this: long press of button 7 would initiate "flight mode" where the 4 buttons you use for configuring the lcd could be used for other stuff.
Last edited by msev; Aug 27, 2012 at 04:34 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:20 PM
Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Joined Dec 2007
607 Posts
Quote:
Maybe you could do it like this: long press of button 7 would initiate "flight mode" where the 4 buttons you use for configuring the lcd could be used for other stuff.
I hear you.......but I'm still not liking adding to existing multi-function buttons. It just makes it hard to remember what does what.

What I can do probably is make use of the 4 buttons at the top of the stick when in Aux-Pot mode.......those 4 buttons are redundant in that mode because the top-hat takes on control of the two Aux-pot outputs.

Ian.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:47 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanJ View Post
I hear you.......but I'm still not liking adding to existing multi-function buttons. It just makes it hard to remember what does what.

What I can do probably is make use of the 4 buttons at the top of the stick when in Aux-Pot mode.......those 4 buttons are redundant in that mode because the top-hat takes on control of the two Aux-pot outputs.

Ian.
Even better idea! Bravo
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:26 PM
Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Joined Dec 2007
607 Posts
Hi all,

New beta version uploaded (V8.75), see download link on post #1.

This version is untested and includes 3-way switch emulation of both the AuxPot outputs when in AuxPot mode.
The 4 buttons next to the top hat now enable the AuxPot outputs to be set to either 0%, 50% or 100%.
1 pair act as up/dn control over AuxPot1, the other pair do the same for AuxPot2.
Last settings used are saved to EEprom.
The output value for both AuxPot's are displayed on the LCD in %.
....and remember, the PPM channels used for the AuxPot's are user configurable

I'll test fully in the coming days, but I think the untested beta i've uploaded should be ok.

Ian.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:01 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,425 Posts
Awesome ...Now all the features I need are implemented, awesome work..

I have a few more questions about use.
May I ask about the behaviour of aux switch 1 and 2..Is it like this -> when you press the button it goes like switch on (like 100%) and if you press the same button again it goes to 0%.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:50 PM
Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Joined Dec 2007
607 Posts
Quote:
Awesome ...Now all the features I need are implemented, awesome work..

I have a few more questions about use.
May I ask about the behaviour of aux switch 1 and 2..Is it like this -> when you press the button it goes like switch on (like 100%) and if you press the same button again it goes to 0%.
Yes, latching operation.
And, both switches are displayed as "0" or "1" on the main Lcd screen.

Ian.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:39 PM
Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Joined Dec 2007
607 Posts
Hi all,

New version uploaded (V8.76), see download link on post #1.

Bug fix on the 3-way switch emulation of both the AuxPot outputs.

Ian.