HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2012, 04:29 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,414 Posts
Awesome I'll soon have a few samples of that max usb host chip so I could start building.
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Jul 2012
22 Posts
Ian, quick question, have anyone actually tried using this with FrSky modules? I saw a video but it's not the whole system yet. And do I need to modify the code for compatibility with FrSky? I can modify the code since I am experienced with Arduino but I'm not familiar as to how RC modules work and if modifying is needed, I'll start researching then.

By the way, I'll try creating a repeater of USB output since I'll still be connecting it to a computer program with support for long range telemetry joystick control (>40km). The FrSky will remain as a backup for manual control in case the computer shuts down. The program by the way is Mission Planner, a program GCS for ArduPilot Mega 2.
shadowsnipes is offline Find More Posts by shadowsnipes
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:21 AM
Joined Jul 2012
22 Posts
There are no pictures of the USB version, can you somehow show or describe how the USB version looks like? Or is it just the same from the original but joystick is detachable and have a USB port?

Thanks!
shadowsnipes is offline Find More Posts by shadowsnipes
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:31 AM
Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Joined Dec 2007
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowsnipes View Post
Ian, quick question, have anyone actually tried using this with FrSky modules? I saw a video but it's not the whole system yet. And do I need to modify the code for compatibility with FrSky? I can modify the code since I am experienced with Arduino but I'm not familiar as to how RC modules work and if modifying is needed, I'll start researching then.

By the way, I'll try creating a repeater of USB output since I'll still be connecting it to a computer program with support for long range telemetry joystick control (>40km). The FrSky will remain as a backup for manual control in case the computer shuts down. The program by the way is Mission Planner, a program GCS for ArduPilot Mega 2.
I have tested mainly with Thomas Scherrers LRS TX/Rx system.

I don't know anything about the FrSky system.......but from what I googled it seems that folks are using FrSky modules on their Futaba Tx's, so other than voltage levels etc it would seem the PPM stream is compatible. I know my PPM stream works into the trainer port of my Futaba T9CP.

Ian.
IanJ is offline Find More Posts by IanJ
Last edited by IanJ; Aug 16, 2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:38 AM
Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Joined Dec 2007
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowsnipes View Post
There are no pictures of the USB version, can you somehow show or describe how the USB version looks like? Or is it just the same from the original but joystick is detachable and have a USB port?

Thanks!
I haven't built the housing for the pcb's yet, but there's two options I'm playing with:

1. An 240x200x40mm enclosure that the Joystick to sit on top of and will house the Arduino Mega, Thomas Scherrer's Tx PCB & the battery. The LCD will mount on the top of the box.

2. A much smaller satellite enclosure, maybe 150x100x40mm that will house the Arduino Mega, the Tx PCB, battery and the LCD. It'll mount somehow off the joystick. The USB cable from the joystick will dissappear inside enclosure.

At the moment I'm looking towards the 2nd option to keep the size down, plus the fact I'm having trouble sourcing an enclosure for option 1.

Ian.
Last edited by IanJ; Aug 17, 2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:36 PM
Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Joined Dec 2007
607 Posts
Hi all,

See post #1 for photos of my finished joystick.

I decided to go with the satellite enclosure to house all the electronics, battery etc.

Ian.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:13 PM
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
could this be done with the arduino mega 2560 android adk board without needing a USB host controller shield?
SDSUEE is offline Find More Posts by SDSUEE
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:22 PM
Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Joined Dec 2007
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSUEE View Post
could this be done with the arduino mega 2560 android adk board without needing a USB host controller shield?
Hi,

Yes I guess so......but you might need to tweak or worst case replace the USB library that I use with the USB Host Shield.

Ian.

Update:
I compared the schematics of the ADK and the Usb Host Shield, and they use the same chipset and look to be hooked up the same........so the circuits@home drivers may well work.

Ian.
Last edited by IanJ; Aug 18, 2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 05:44 AM
Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Joined Dec 2007
607 Posts
Hi all,

Rough & ready video below of my first test with my quadcopter on the workbench with the newly assembled joystick.
My quad is actually an Aeroquad and comes with a great PC app to monitor all the controls and so it's dead good for testing just about everything on the joystick.

The basic controls are configured, and i've set out the Aux channels around and configure them for Aeroquad use as follows:

PPM Ch.5: Rate or Attitude mode
PPM Ch.6: Altitude hold mode
PPM Ch.7: Waypoint on/off
PPM Ch.8: Autoland on/off

I've saved the PPM channels under MDL1 as follows:
AE EL TH RU S1 S2 P1 P2

Ian.

Project - RC Joystick Tx V3 - USB Version - First real tests (1 min 2 sec)
Last edited by IanJ; Aug 18, 2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:02 AM
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
Ill let you know how it works, while there is no cost savings it should be nice to have a slightly more compact package. Actually for what I am planning the slight improvement in compactness is essential, I would like to mount it permanently inside a T9X case usb ports exposed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanJ View Post
Hi,

Yes I guess so......but you might need to tweak or worst case replace the USB library that I use with the USB Host Shield.

Ian.

Update:
I compared the schematics of the ADK and the Usb Host Shield, and they use the same chipset and look to be hooked up the same........so the circuits@home drivers may well work.

Ian.
SDSUEE is offline Find More Posts by SDSUEE
Last edited by SDSUEE; Aug 19, 2012 at 06:14 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:24 AM
Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Joined Dec 2007
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSUEE View Post
Ill let you know how it works, while there is no cost savings it should be nice to have a slightly more compact package. Actually for what I am planning the slight improvement in compactness is essential, I would like to mount it permanently inside a T9X case usb ports exposed.
Hi,

Read this:

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?topic=75004.0;wap2

Ian.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:28 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,414 Posts
Ian does the servo that the viewing hat controls self-center when you let go of the button?

Maybe there could be two possible definable options:

- first option it self centers automatic when you let loose of the button
-second option you have to press a button for it to self-center
Last edited by msev; Aug 26, 2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 01:43 PM
Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Joined Dec 2007
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Ian does the servo that the viewing hat controls self-center when you let go of the button?

Maybe there could be two possible definable options:

- first option it self centers automatic when you let loose of the button
-second option you have to press a button for it to self-center
Second option is already working, i.e. you can set up the trigger or thumb button to centre one of the servo outputs.

Here's the LCD screen showing the setup for setting the thumb button to force the output to 50%. The other options are 0% & 100%.

Ian.
Last edited by IanJ; Aug 26, 2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:11 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,414 Posts
Any ideas on what else could be added? Maybe a small buzzer that would buzz when you would flick a switch...For example if three-way switch would be in the center it would buzz two times, if at the top it would buzz 3 times and if at the bottom one time...
Gosh I sure hope the ppm stream will be nice for my 9x transmitter, fingers crossed it works...will you help me if it doesn't?
Old Aug 26, 2012, 03:30 PM
Arduino addicted Newbie
Joined Jul 2011
19 Posts
Hi Ian,

great piece of work!
I will try to use it with TH9X in trainer port. Any experience with this (regarding PPM voltage level etc)?
Will your code work on Atmega1280 (I own a Seeeduino Mega) or really only with 2560?

Kai
KaiK is offline Find More Posts by KaiK