SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:22 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
Murocflyer's Avatar
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDreamFactory View Post
subbed possible 3D balsa kit comin up

Skill level builder- Master ?
Thanks for joining in the fun!

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:49 PM
rtibbetts
Central Florida
Joined Mar 2008
269 Posts
Let me float this balloon and see where it lands. After Frank proposed this idea I looked around me shop too see if I might have any kits gathering dust. I also noticed that there may be some individuals out there who might wish to join in but were unsure as to what to build or may be a little strapped for cash to buy a kit.
All that being said I have the following kits that I would be willing to donate to anyone who fits the above categories.

Mountain Models P-51 1/12 scale 37" WS

Stevens Aero DiddleBug

DPC Models SE-5

DPC Models Sopwith Pup

All of the above are balsa kits. You would still have to supply glue, covering and power plant.

www.mountainmodels.com
www.stevensaero.com
www.dpcmodels.homestead.com

Check them out and send me a pm if you're interested

Ron
rtibbetts@hotm is online now Find More Posts by rtibbetts@hotm
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:16 PM
God is my pilot
JimTMich's Avatar
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,369 Posts
Frank, may I suggest we take the Switchback Sport off the list and replace it with the Luckey ACE. I'm one of the biggest Switchback fans, but the newer kits are more fool proof. The ACE is easier to make turn out right and stay right.

Also add the StevensAero SHAFT 400

I'll be here to help out for sure.... with or without a kit. I'm trying to pick one now. Maybe another Etana. Skill level: Builder

Jim
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
Last edited by JimTMich; Aug 14, 2012 at 10:18 PM. Reason: added skill level
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:49 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTMich View Post
Frank, may I suggest we take the Switchback Sport off the list and replace it with the Luckey ACE. I'm one of the biggest Switchback fans, but the newer kits are more fool proof. The ACE is easier to make turn out right and stay right.
I haven't built the Ace but I've built two Switchbacks. Agree with Jim that the SB may not be an ideal beginner's kit. It's a bit old-school (by Mountain Models standards) and of very light construction. I made several mistakes on #1 SB which I was able to avoid on #2 SB, a couple of years later. Even so, both were a joy to fly.

SB has 1/32" turtledeck planking, and only four ribs for each wing. Ultralight covering must be used, and must be very carefully applied. Over-shrinkage, particularly in the tailfeathers, will warp the structure.

PS, when I say old-school, we're still talking CAD design, laser-cut, and mostly self-jigging structure. Old school only in the sense that newer kits from this vendor are more robust and foolproof.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:57 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2012
2 Posts
Sounds great. Have not built or flown fixed wing in about ten years look for kit now. Started building with dad at about 8 so I think I can still build don't know anything about electric always gas or glow. So this is great. Was looking at House of Balsa T-6 with a 36" wing, checked out the EVA from Mountain it is interesting too. Built the SIG Astro Hog in the mid 70's great plane so the smaller one BMJR is selling could work too. Anyway count me in but I am clueless on the kit to build. All input welcome but looking to stay around 30 - 40 " wing.
Thanks,
Steve
rctoys4me is offline Find More Posts by rctoys4me
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:02 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Hey, Frank, unless something comes up... put me down for a Mojo 40 from Swanyshouse. This'll be my first kit from Swany. Skeeter needs a big brother. End-of-September looks do-able. Guess I'd be a "Builder" by your definitions.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:14 AM
Registered User
kdahlhaus's Avatar
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
Just came across this Astro-Hog. http://store.laser-design-services.c...roducts_id=176

I have been looking for something like this for a long time.

Frank
Thanks for posting, I've been looking for an Astro Hog kit too. The only other one I've seen is 36 inch kit.
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:14 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
Murocflyer's Avatar
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTMich View Post
Frank, may I suggest we take the Switchback Sport off the list and replace it with the Luckey ACE. I'm one of the biggest Switchback fans, but the newer kits are more fool proof. The ACE is easier to make turn out right and stay right.

Also add the StevensAero SHAFT 400

I'll be here to help out for sure.... with or without a kit. I'm trying to pick one now. Maybe another Etana. Skill level: Builder

Jim
Got it Jim. Post updated and welcome aboard! Thanks for joining in.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:17 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
Murocflyer's Avatar
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rctoys4me View Post
Sounds great. Have not built or flown fixed wing in about ten years look for kit now. Started building with dad at about 8 so I think I can still build don't know anything about electric always gas or glow. So this is great. Was looking at House of Balsa T-6 with a 36" wing, checked out the EVA from Mountain it is interesting too. Built the SIG Astro Hog in the mid 70's great plane so the smaller one BMJR is selling could work too. Anyway count me in but I am clueless on the kit to build. All input welcome but looking to stay around 30 - 40 " wing.
Thanks,
Steve
Gotcha Steve! I know you can't go wrong with a MM or Stevens Aero kit, but if you need some help picking one out let us know. And welcome aboard!

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:19 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
Murocflyer's Avatar
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b View Post
Hey, Frank, unless something comes up... put me down for a Mojo 40 from Swanyshouse. This'll be my first kit from Swany. Skeeter needs a big brother. End-of-September looks do-able. Guess I'd be a "Builder" by your definitions.
Got you down as well. Thanks for joining in! This is going to be a lot of fun and a really wonderful learning experience for all I'm sure.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:19 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
Murocflyer's Avatar
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdahlhaus View Post
Thanks for posting, I've been looking for an Astro Hog kit too. The only other one I've seen is 36 inch kit.
You are welcome, glad to help. And if you would like, feel free to join in. The more the merrier.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:21 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
Murocflyer's Avatar
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtibbetts@hotm View Post
Let me float this balloon and see where it lands. After Frank proposed this idea I looked around me shop too see if I might have any kits gathering dust. I also noticed that there may be some individuals out there who might wish to join in but were unsure as to what to build or may be a little strapped for cash to buy a kit.
All that being said I have the following kits that I would be willing to donate to anyone who fits the above categories.

Mountain Models P-51 1/12 scale 37" WS

Stevens Aero DiddleBug

DPC Models SE-5

DPC Models Sopwith Pup

All of the above are balsa kits. You would still have to supply glue, covering and power plant.

www.mountainmodels.com
www.stevensaero.com
www.dpcmodels.homestead.com

Check them out and send me a pm if you're interested

Ron
That sure is a very generous offer and great idea Ron. I hope some folks take you up on your offer. Good on you for paying it forward Ron. Very generous and kind of you indeed.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 06:29 AM
rtibbetts
Central Florida
Joined Mar 2008
269 Posts
One down, three to go! The P-51 is spoken for.
Should be a fun build with the numbers increasing. Great idea Frank.

Ron
rtibbetts@hotm is online now Find More Posts by rtibbetts@hotm
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 01:46 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
Murocflyer's Avatar
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Cool! Glad to hear that Ron. I'm someone is going to be very happy with that P-51.
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 01:48 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
Murocflyer's Avatar
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
This has nothing to do with the clinic, but while I am waiting for it to begin, I am working on a "fixer up" I bought a couple months ago.



Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Murocflyer; Oct 28, 2013 at 11:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product The Horten Tailless Flying Wing Ė Letís Build One Together! SoarScale2 Scale Sailplanes 100 Jul 12, 2013 01:50 PM
Discussion Building obsession... Let's "spar..." EscapeFlyer Classic Pattern Flying 54 Apr 19, 2012 09:15 AM
Rant Who is still scratch building? Let's see what you have. (please) boredom.is.me Micro EDF Jets and Power Systems 55 Apr 10, 2012 06:55 PM
Let's build a plane - #2 hoppy Foamies (Kits) 37 Oct 14, 2001 06:21 PM