HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:59 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Jun 2012
28 Posts
I've got a MM Lucky ACE sitting waiting to be built, so I think I'll be in for this as well. I'd put myself in the basic category, since I've built two other planes.
ChargedUp is offline Find More Posts by ChargedUp
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:01 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Frank: I ask again, how will this work? How do we "build a plane together" over the Internet? Do we just make a big build thread with hundreds of folks posting? What did you have in mind?
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Aug 11, 2012, 02:33 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargedUp View Post
I've got a MM Lucky ACE sitting waiting to be built, so I think I'll be in for this as well. I'd put myself in the basic category, since I've built two other planes.
Got it CU! Thanks for joining in the fun. Nice choice of an airplane as well.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Aug 11, 2012, 02:39 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b View Post
Frank: I ask again, how will this work? How do we "build a plane together" over the Internet? Do we just make a big build thread with hundreds of folks posting? What did you have in mind?
My bad, I thought I had explained this well enough. (unless you are just pulling me leg with the above).

I have decided to host an online tutorial to teach folks how to build a model airplane. Myself and a number of experienced builders have combined our talents to teach anyone interested in learning how to build an airplane right here on RCG.

You can build whatever you want to build for this clinic and if you need some ideas let me know. I know you cannot go wrong with anything from Mountain Models or Stevens AeroModels since they make such great quality kits. I have yet to build anything from those two companies that I did not like.

For this clinic, you can be a total beginner to building model airplanes or you can even be an experienced builder, the more the merrier since the more people we get involved the more enjoyable this clinic will be. I think the idea of having a bunch of folks all building an airplane at the same time as well as teaching newcomers to this hobby will be a heck of a lot of fun and very enjoyable experience.

My thoughts are that people would start building their planes on 29 Sep and post pics (if they wish) of their build process in a seperate thread that I will start when the time comes to start building. I need to check with Jim to see where the thread should go. If the "students" have questions, myself, aero104, and others will be there to answer them.

Does that answer your questions?

Frank
Last edited by Murocflyer; Aug 11, 2012 at 03:01 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:12 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Frank. Anything that encourages folks to build kits is a good thing. I guess I'll just wait till this thing gets underway and see how it develops. I'm usually on hand to respond to questions if I have an inkling of the answer.

I suggest that the thread(s) be broken up by category. For example: framing, covering, installing servos and linkages, power systems, setting up CG, etc.

A kit from a top-notch vendor (eg. Stevens Aero or Mountain Models) will minimize the issues that builders are likely to encounter along the way. I imagine the covering issue will engender a lot of questions and frustrations. There's a big sticky thread here on RCG that's already addressed that topic.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Aug 11, 2012, 08:31 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
There really is no "finish date" so to speak. That will all depend on how much time one has to put into their model each week. For me, I do not have much time to spare so mine will probably be the last few to finish up.

Frank
Iduno Frank I am very guilty of dragging my feet I am dragging my feet right now on the one I need to finish up. And I *might* be starting a new job that will really kick my butt. But I plan on participating One way or the other.
Fred
Crowfly is online now Find More Posts by Crowfly
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:19 PM
Megans Servant
Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
234 Posts
Kinda scanned through the thread here Frank and saw lots of interest about some nice looking kits. I figure I might have missed the topic but, what about just building from plans?

I found a set of PT-19 plans I've been chomping at the bit to build.

Course I also have a large set of B-17 plans I'd love to do, but can't afford it right now (I might start playing with it anyway. kinda like the Johnny Cash song, "One piece at a time")

Just might give me an excuse for the boss to to start on another project.
Offtom is offline Find More Posts by Offtom
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:14 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,232 Posts
I'm with Offtom. I want to do another plans build.

I have in some cases multiples of Mountain Models planes. I just finished up yet another Mini-Flash. I've done 9 SwitchBacks. I LOVE building Mountain Models kits but it's time for me to do a plan build again.

I've built three Eastwind Models Gemini twins from his plans. LINK I also have his plans for the Ampmeister. LINK I made the cutting templates a few years ago and have them around here somewhere. It's a pretty basic design that anyone could easily cut and build. If a plans build is OK then put me down for the Ampmeister and I'll start looking for the templates or cut out new ones if need be.

I don't think it should matter what you build whether it be a kit build, plans build or scratch build. With it all in one place the amount of knowledge shared will be invaluable. I've been doing this for a LONG time and I always seem to learn something new when I read a build thread. Looking forward to this taking off!

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:26 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b View Post
Thanks for the reply, Frank. Anything that encourages folks to build kits is a good thing. I guess I'll just wait till this thing gets underway and see how it develops. I'm usually on hand to respond to questions if I have an inkling of the answer.

I suggest that the thread(s) be broken up by category. For example: framing, covering, installing servos and linkages, power systems, setting up CG, etc.

A kit from a top-notch vendor (eg. Stevens Aero or Mountain Models) will minimize the issues that builders are likely to encounter along the way. I imagine the covering issue will engender a lot of questions and frustrations. There's a big sticky thread here on RCG that's already addressed that topic.
You are welcome rafe_b. We'll do our level best to make these threads clear and concise for our newbie builders so they will understand the guidance provided. Although we can never ever control off topic and irrelevant posts, I hope folks respect what we are trying to do here to keep that to a minimum.

Frank
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:30 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offtom View Post
Kinda scanned through the thread here Frank and saw lots of interest about some nice looking kits. I figure I might have missed the topic but, what about just building from plans?

I found a set of PT-19 plans I've been chomping at the bit to build.

Course I also have a large set of B-17 plans I'd love to do, but can't afford it right now (I might start playing with it anyway. kinda like the Johnny Cash song, "One piece at a time")

Just might give me an excuse for the boss to to start on another project.
Hi Tom! Glad you found us here on RCG.

Joe and Tom,

I think that is a great idea. I'd love to do a clinic on building from plans. I think that would be an excellent follow up to this clinic. I have been meaning to build a Sig Somethin' Extra from plans for quite some time now.

Frank
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:32 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowfly View Post
Iduno Frank I am very guilty of dragging my feet I am dragging my feet right now on the one I need to finish up. And I *might* be starting a new job that will really kick my butt. But I plan on participating One way or the other.
Fred
I know how that goes Fred, that's for sure. Stepping out to the garage right now to balance a prop that I needed to do this afternoon.

Frank
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:37 AM
Joined Jan 2011
23 Posts
Just came across this thread today and thought I would add a kit to the build. The link is http:retrorc.us.com. I tried to link it to the product page but I'm not computer literate yet. Its under radio control and the model is the e'moth under the sub title sports airplane kits. The 32" wingspan is the one.
chetway is offline Find More Posts by chetway
Last edited by chetway; Aug 12, 2012 at 12:53 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 01:59 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetway View Post
Just came across this thread today and thought I would add a kit to the build. The link is http:retrorc.us.com. I tried to link it to the product page but I'm not computer literate yet. Its under radio control and the model is the e'moth under the sub title sports airplane kits. The 32" wingspan is the one.
Here you go. Just copy and paste the URL in your post.

http://retrorc.us.com/retroemoth-1-2.aspx

Frank
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:00 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,951 Posts
Just came across this Astro-Hog. http://store.laser-design-services.c...roducts_id=176

I have been looking for something like this for a long time.

Frank
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:52 AM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,831 Posts
subbed possible 3D balsa kit comin up

Skill level builder- Master ?
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith