Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPnut View Post
Count me in!

I guess Im a beginner-newbie.

Ive assembled foamy kits, scratch built a balsa vertical stab/rudder for my EZ* and started putting together a guillow's zero kit but would love to get in on this.
Awesome. Thanks for joining in and I hope we'll learn a few things along the way.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:54 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJO View Post
I would love to join in! Been looking at balsa models lately and they're a big investment for me... plus no balsa experience before!

Dan
Gotcha, thanks Dan. No problem with zero experience, that's what we are here for.

Please let us know what you have in mind for building before ordering a kit. Just want to make sure it is a good one to learn with.

Thanks,

Frank
Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:56 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudflying View Post
Here is what I am thinking. I know I will have no issues building it, just curious if it will still be suited to our needs for this thread. Also, for a more basic kit, the "fundango" is a very easy build.

-Daniel
That plane will be fine Daniel if that is what you want to build. I don't think MM makes a bad plane.

Frank
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:55 AM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
Gotcha, thanks Dan. No problem with zero experience, that's what we are here for.

Please let us know what you have in mind for building before ordering a kit. Just want to make sure it is a good one to learn with.

Thanks,

Frank
Cool! And any model for building is fine for me... I just need to get some experience in before buying that balsa P-47 that I've been drooling over. That Mini Flash looks cool, and simple.

Dan
DJO is online now Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2012, 02:03 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJO View Post
Cool! And any model for building is fine for me... I just need to get some experience in before buying that balsa P-47 that I've been drooling over. That Mini Flash looks cool, and simple.

Dan
Well that makes it easy then. There are a lot of great models out there to build so it just depends on what kind of flying you like to do to help decide on a model.

As mentioned earlier, Mountain Models and Stevens Aero make some great kits.

Frank
Old Aug 09, 2012, 02:06 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero104 View Post
Yes, that sounds like fun!

I am willing to build along, too. Just let me know what plane you choose. I can do GoPro videos and photos if needed.

Maybe do a couple of short "before you start building" videos; tools, work area, glues, etc.

Aero104
I'm waiting to hear back from Jim on where on RCG we should put these threads, but I think the first one should be about glues.

Frank
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:40 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,448 Posts
I have about convinced myself that I want to build a Switchback for this clinic. I really like those planes and it is a great build.

Anyone else decide on what they want to build yet?

Frank
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:48 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Frank, I would love to take part in this. I'm an intermediate builder and I've been thinking about not saying this but I'm gonna put it out there...

I think we should all make videos and enter them in the AMA video contest!

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...VtUzyVrR5gjM7g

If we all build the same model, we could each film a different part of the build and submit our videos as a series, maybe? If we win we donate the prize?
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:16 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Frank, I would love to take part in this. I'm an intermediate builder and I've been thinking about not saying this but I'm gonna put it out there...

I think we should all make videos and enter them in the AMA video contest!

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...VtUzyVrR5gjM7g

If we all build the same model, we could each film a different part of the build and submit our videos as a series, maybe? If we win we donate the prize?
Glad to hear it! Thanks for joining in. That's cool that the AMA is hosting a video contest. Good for them, they need to do stuff like that. Doubtful that we would all want to build the same plane, but that shouldn't stop us from making a video. I'm sure someone out there is talented enough to edit out bits and pieces into a cool video. The mass launch when we are all done building should be pretty cool and with the right music, it shoudl be really cool. Great idea!

Frank
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:48 AM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,201 Posts
i would like to put out there, for a easy getting started build something like a BLT, or something more advanced like the Balsa USA kit , stick 40 http://shop.balsausa.com/product_p/434.htm
so if someone wants to buy the kit ( cheap to try out to see if they want to do it) and learn how to do it they can ask questions .
then after their built you can donate them to a local club as trainers . i know here there are a few clubs that would welcome them.
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:33 PM
rtibbetts
Central Florida
Joined Mar 2008
303 Posts
Frank,
What is the finish date?
rtibbetts@hotm is online now Find More Posts by rtibbetts@hotm
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:31 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
4,072 Posts
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Last edited by Ron H; Aug 10, 2012 at 03:16 PM. Reason: ***
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:09 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtibbetts@hotm View Post
Frank,
What is the finish date?
There really is no "finish date" so to speak. That will all depend on how much time one has to put into their model each week. For me, I do not have much time to spare so mine will probably be the last few to finish up.

Frank
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:30 PM
rtibbetts
Central Florida
Joined Mar 2008
303 Posts
OK, sounds good to me. I'm in for the build.
I'm going to list myself as a Builder even though I've take home some "hardware" from past Toledo Expos which would probably but me in the Master category by some. My way of thinking is it's a good day when you learn something new.
I'm going with MM ETana as my build choice.

Ron
rtibbetts@hotm is online now Find More Posts by rtibbetts@hotm
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:35 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtibbetts@hotm View Post
OK, sounds good to me. I'm in for the build.
I'm going to list myself as a Builder even though I've take home some "hardware" from past Toledo Expos which would probably but me in the Master category by some. My way of thinking is it's a good day when you learn something new.
I'm going with MM ETana as my build choice.

Ron
Got it Ron and thanks for joining in the fun!

Frank