HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2012, 02:28 PM
Zak
Serial plane killer
Joined Jun 2002
402 Posts
I agree with the EZ series, but not the Switchback Sport for a new builder. The design is too old and not as much fun to build, plus the stick motor mount doesn't help too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe View Post
Because the wing is where most beginners will make mistakes the MM EZ series is the best of both worlds. A foam wing to lessen the chance of mistakes yet still a balsa build with the fuse and tail feathers. I have the EZ Cub and the EZ Sport. Easy to build and boy do they fly! I've never flown the Cub really hard but the EZ Sport I've beaten to death. Very good low speed yet will rip up the skies at full throttle. Easy to grow in to and great aileron trainers. They're well priced kits with a USABLE hardware package. Cheap to outfit as well.

I have a spare wing kit. I'd be willing to buy a fuse kit to join in the build clinic. While I'm not a newbie and I don't really need any more planes I think a slow paced build that may help beginners would be fun. I do have other kits laying around but the EZ series is what I would recommend to a first time builder. Of course an all balsa build would bring an MM SwitchBack Sport nod.

Joe
Zak is offline Find More Posts by Zak
Last edited by Zak; Aug 07, 2012 at 04:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2012, 05:50 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
OK I'm in but I have questions...

My house has achieved critical mass, it can hold no more planes... so, is there a good cause I can donate the airplane to when I'm finished?

And, what are the technical details of this activity? We all meet up on Skype or something? How do we share what we are doing? I'm thinking the "builders" should really do a video and have it ready in advance, and then hang around a chat room or something to answer questions. So, what is the plan behind this? How do people from all over the world collaborate on building a plane, in real time?

Also, if the point of this is to show people that building balsa planes isn't that hard, and has unique rewards, shouldn't we build a simple model? Some of the suggestions have a lot of details in the kit, which are just busy work and not particularly instructive.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:28 PM
Support Your Local Hobby Shops
Nashville, TN
Joined Feb 2005
748 Posts
aero104 is offline Find More Posts by aero104
Last edited by aero104; Mar 14, 2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:55 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,134 Posts
I have to disagree with Zak. Age has absolutely nothing to do with the switchback design.And I also think it's a lot of fun to build.
The stick motor mount is only a problem if you crash. It also gives you the option of different gear ratios to experiment with in a gearbox.
The switch back is a Classic. But it isn't a trainer
Fred
Crowfly is online now Find More Posts by Crowfly
Old Aug 07, 2012, 11:32 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
OK I'm in but I have questions...

My house has achieved critical mass, it can hold no more planes... so, is there a good cause I can donate the airplane to when I'm finished?
You bet. Neighborhood children is always a great option. Or RCG has a free section here: http://www.rcgroups.com/free-items-505/. Or you can do what I do and give them away to kids in your club or sell them at RC swap meets for ridiculously low prices.

Quote:
And, what are the technical details of this activity? We all meet up on Skype or something? How do we share what we are doing? I'm thinking the "builders" should really do a video and have it ready in advance, and then hang around a chat room or something to answer questions. So, what is the plan behind this? How do people from all over the world collaborate on building a plane, in real time?
My thoughts are that people would start building their planes on 29 Sep and post pics (if they wish) of their build process in a seperate thread that I will start when the time comes to start building. I need to check with Jim to see where the thread should go. If the "students" have questions, myself, aero104, and others will be there to answer them.

Quote:
Also, if the point of this is to show people that building balsa planes isn't that hard, and has unique rewards, shouldn't we build a simple model? Some of the suggestions have a lot of details in the kit, which are just busy work and not particularly instructive.
The "students" will decide what they want to build. If they decide to build something we think might be over their heads based on their skill level, we'll suggest something else.

Does that answer the mail and would you like to particpate? BTW, you did not state your skill level.

Thanks,

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Last edited by Murocflyer; Aug 08, 2012 at 03:25 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old Aug 07, 2012, 11:34 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero104 View Post
I'm interested.

Aero104, expert builder.

New Hobby Lobby Telemaster kits?
Thanks for the help! What I need is a "co-host" to help answer questions or provide help when I'm not around.

Does that sound like something you would like to do? Also, do you plan on building soemthing along with us?

Thanks,

Frank
Last edited by Murocflyer; Aug 08, 2012 at 03:30 AM.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:54 AM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,104 Posts
Count me in! Still undecided as far as the kit goes. Put me in the basic as its been a long while and I have been very spoiled with these arf kits as of late
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:30 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudflying View Post
Count me in! Still undecided as far as the kit goes. Put me in the basic as its been a long while and I have been very spoiled with these arf kits as of late
You bet and welcome aboard!

Frank
Old Aug 08, 2012, 09:17 AM
Support Your Local Hobby Shops
Nashville, TN
Joined Feb 2005
748 Posts
aero104 is offline Find More Posts by aero104
Last edited by aero104; Mar 14, 2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 10:59 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero104 View Post
Yes, that sounds like fun!

I am willing to build along, too. Just let me know what plane you choose. I can do GoPro videos and photos if needed.

Maybe do a couple of short "before you start building" videos; tools, work area, glues, etc.

Aero104
Awesome! And that is a great idea. We could definitely do that. I guess around 1 Sep, we can see where the skill levels of the "students" are and go from there. That really is an awesome idea.

Frank
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:01 PM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined May 2012
50 Posts
Count me in!

I guess Im a beginner-newbie.

Ive assembled foamy kits, scratch built a balsa vertical stab/rudder for my EZ* and started putting together a guillow's zero kit but would love to get in on this.
MrPnut is offline Find More Posts by MrPnut
Old Aug 08, 2012, 04:13 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,104 Posts
Here is what I am thinking. I know I will have no issues building it, just curious if it will still be suited to our needs for this thread. Also, for a more basic kit, the "fundango" is a very easy build.

-Daniel
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Aug 08, 2012, 05:55 PM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,730 Posts
http://www.bmjrmodels.com/shop?page=...category_id=32

One last Idea -The Swami
IWC is offline Find More Posts by IWC
Old Aug 08, 2012, 09:06 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out what MurocFlyer has in mind. Please excuse my lack of imagination. How do you "build a plane together" over the Internet? Or is this just crowd-sourcing a build thread?
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Aug 08, 2012, 09:36 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,549 Posts
I would love to join in! Been looking at balsa models lately and they're a big investment for me... plus no balsa experience before!

Dan
DJO is offline Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Montreal and New Hampshire 2014