Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 02, 2012, 03:21 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
805 Posts
I humbly disagree. I'm seeing more and more younger people at the fields. A lot of people my age (45) coming back into the hobby and have young kids now. My 14 year old is working on a balsa cub kit right now. He wants to do a scratch build from plans for his next one.

As an example look at this project that Frank has going on here. 30 some odd people doing kit builds. Most if not all are balsa correct?

This probably isn't the place to debate this but the more people that get into flying I bet the more that will build eventually.

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Beard View Post
RCU has a kit building forum and as popular as it is, there is less and less new build threads starting, it's more of a BS and questions and answers forum now compared to how it was just a few years ago.
There are still a few new builds starting but nothing like in the past.
In my last clubs in Calif. I was the only builder left. Even the guys that were builders when I joined these clubs gave it up for ARFs. One club tried to bring back building by having a racing class for the SIG Kavalier thinking members that wanted to race in the class would build there own plane. That didn't work but I could build a Kavalier with my eyes closed by the time they closed that class down.
Just a foot note but the SIG Kaviler is an outstanding build and one of the better stunt planes. The build isn't overly hard and the price of the kit is reasonable.
Another good option for a 40 size plane.
Not only is building becoming a lost art but look at the age of the pilots at your field. When I was growing up most the boys in town were building and flying model planes from a very early age. Today I see a it of a higher average age flying.
I think a kit and plans building forum only would be a good idea on RCG just like on RCU.
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2012, 01:17 PM
Joined May 2012
432 Posts
I fly at three fields here in NV, average age is about 50, most are older, under 30 almost none.
I flew at 3 fields in Calif. Pretty much the same there too.
Builders were almost null. The net is able to contact people from around the world so if we get 100 people to build out of all the people that fly and are on RCG it would amount to?? Very few.
20 years ago you walked into any hobby shop and they were full of kits with countless kit manufactures. Count the kits in a hobby shop today.
Building is almost a lost art, this idea may help out a lot of folks that would like to give it a try, I hope so, I think it's a great idea.
When in Calif. I was involved in IMAA so most of these folks were builders. My club put on the Rally of Giants, twice. That event brought out just about 200 pilots and over three of the four days about 2000 spectators. I think the last big show had one pilot that was a teenager and he was flying a Pitts ARF from Great Planes.
I teach building here in my shop, In the last 6 years I have had one student under the age of 65, he was 12 at the time, at 15 he got out of the hobby but like most of us I'm betting he will be back when he in in his 30s.
This isn't the time or place to debate the subject but if I were to do a debate I have a lot of bullets for my gun.
It has turned from a kids hobby some time ago, I was 8 when I built my first kit, the Ring Master, I wasn't the only kid in the neighbor hood building either. Today my grand kids would rather just hang. I do have hopes for the two others, there dad is into toys and hobbies and one has been flying before he was 3. The little Heli choppers for in the house. Now he is flying electric planes but is 7. I'm building him a nice one for Xmas. I don't think he will ever be a builder though, his dad is one of those that tends to buy things like ARFs and all his off road toys. Even after seeing me build all his life? Go figure?
Gray Beard is offline Find More Posts by Gray Beard
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:12 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,421 Posts
Someone posted a list of kit makers in the last few days. I think there were about 20 on the list. I failed to make note of it and now I can't find it. Anyone else see this list and know where it is?
Turner2 is offline Find More Posts by Turner2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX7 Programing - Ultimate...
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:33 PM
Zak
Serial plane killer
Joined Jun 2002
402 Posts
This ? (scroll down a bit)
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=77754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner2 View Post
Someone posted a list of kit makers in the last few days. I think there were about 20 on the list. I failed to make note of it and now I can't find it. Anyone else see this list and know where it is?
Zak is offline Find More Posts by Zak
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:42 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,421 Posts
That may have been it. Thanks.
Turner2 is offline Find More Posts by Turner2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX7 Programing - Ultimate...
Old Sep 06, 2012, 12:03 PM
Joined Nov 2011
89 Posts
I just want to say, what a great idea Frank. I have been away at work for the last month and today I’m home, sitting back, taking it easy catching up with RCG when I came across this thread; I will be following along. Maybe when I put my planes away for the winter and the snow starts to fly I will join in on the building.
scallopking is offline Find More Posts by scallopking
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:43 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,810 Posts
For those interested or have some spare time for some old fashioned reading (I love books)

Building and Flying Model Airplanes by Mark Minatelli

check this out: http://rcadvisor.com/book-building-f...odel-airplanes
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:45 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scallopking View Post
I just want to say, what a great idea Frank. I have been away at work for the last month and today Iím home, sitting back, taking it easy catching up with RCG when I came across this thread; I will be following along. Maybe when I put my planes away for the winter and the snow starts to fly I will join in on the building.
Thanks! And for the next clinic, we will be learning how to build with plans. Perhaps you may be interested in that this winter.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:51 AM
Joined May 2012
432 Posts
Any Idea of when this is going to happen and what plane/plans? I'm doing the finishing up on my two plane build right now and will be moving right onto my next build. It will be mostly stick construction and I will be using an electric motor for power. Plans are from MAN and the plane is the old timer Satyr.
What do you have in mind??
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:58 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,810 Posts
Quote:
Any Idea of when this is going to happen and what plane/plans? I'm doing the finishing up on my two plane build right now and will be moving right onto my next build. It will be mostly stick construction and I will be using an electric motor for power. Plans are from MAN and the plane is the old timer Satyr.
What do you have in mind??
Thanks for your interest. I suspect around mid-December and would like to start off with something pretty simple and fun. It will also be an easy and fun flier.

Here is what I am thinking about doing from plans; http://www.theolddog.net/ It is called the E-Quickie 200.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:04 PM
Joined May 2012
432 Posts
Looks good and you sure can't beat the price. When I was watching the video it sure looked familiar to me. I got my hands on a coupld of very old 1/2 kits and converted them to electric. One was the Baby Turkey and it too had the same foam wing only with ailerons. The fuse was almost the same thing. The other one I built was the little gasser. Same fuse but built up wing and three channel.
Anyway, looks like a fun build and very easy. I still have the Baby Turkey out in the shop. Repairs are almost done, the grandson wants it but I think I may build the quicky for him.
What do you do, stay up all night looking for these sites? It is a fun one!!
Gene
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,810 Posts
Quote:
Looks good and you sure can't beat the price. When I was watching the video it sure looked familiar to me. I got my hands on a coupld of very old 1/2 kits and converted them to electric. One was the Baby Turkey and it too had the same foam wing only with ailerons. The fuse was almost the same thing. The other one I built was the little gasser. Same fuse but built up wing and three channel.
Anyway, looks like a fun build and very easy. I still have the Baby Turkey out in the shop. Repairs are almost done, the grandson wants it but I think I may build the quicky for him.
What do you do, stay up all night looking for these sites? It is a fun one!!
Gene
That's a good one Gene. No, no late nights searching the internet. I am just very fortunate to have a lot of friends who share the same interests I do. They fill me in on what they are doing, what they are having fun with, and what they are doing to help promote model aviation. A bunch of great guys. I feel blessed.

I'll order a set of plans in the next couple of weeks and start gearing up for a build clinic for the E-Quickie 200. Hopefully we can get some interest in that clinic as well.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:57 PM
Joined May 2012
432 Posts
I'll buy some plans and the foam core for the wing so I'll be ready to start too.
My building board hasn't been this full in years!! I have a real nice electric Extra stunt plane that was crashed I will be reverse engineering in the near future too.
I love the plane but hate the price of the ARF. It must have two dollars of wood and ten bucks in covering but the manfacture wants a bucket of bucks for it. I figure two days to build and one day to cover.
Another good reason for people to learn to build, you can repair your ARFs and if it is too damaged to repair you can copy it and build yourself a new plane.
That's yourself!! These planes do have a copy right on most of them.
I make templates of all the parts in a kit and save my plans and instructions. If something happens to the plane or they discontinue it I can still build them for myself.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 03:19 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,527 Posts
Hey Frank -

I won't be able to participate in this after all so you can take me off the list now.

Thanks!

Dan
DJO is offline Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Home Run Derby & Aerial Shots
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:52 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJO View Post
Hey Frank -

I won't be able to participate in this after all so you can take me off the list now.

Thanks!

Dan
Well, you did have two things going against you from the rip so it is understandable.

Thanks for letting me know.

Frank
RCG Plus Member