HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:49 PM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Apr 2007
206 Posts
I vote for the StevensAero FullHouse. I've been looking for an excuse to build one.
fleaz is offline Find More Posts by fleaz
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:37 PM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,286 Posts
I have to assume you are looking for strictly a kit build and not working with a simple design from plans. Scratchbuilding is what I am thinking and I have a great candidate. I have enclosed a link to you tube videos on the plane as well as the website to get the free plan download. I have built one and they are dead simple for beginners to cut the parts and assemble.

YouTube video of the subject:[
e-QSC, Video 13 - Maiden Flight (5 min 22 sec)

Free plans download here:http://www.allthingscrash.com/index....&catid=7&cid=4

Just thought I would share this option.

Greg
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:54 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,169 Posts
I might be game. Depending on the plane. I am finishing up a glow plane that should be done by then. I already have an EVA 3-D. I have bipe wings I never got around to. I have a Switchback with a broken fuse. So i would be a wing ahead on that one. But a switchback can be framed up in a couple evenings. Servos and hardware are what seems to drag on forever for me.
I have been really looking at the firestorm for a winter project. They have been running it with 4C on the firestorm thread,and i bet it's a rocket. But I have only been looking.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=991659
I have never built a Stevens Plane. And I have no idea why. I guess I just got in the mountain Models cult and stuck with it. When I quit crashing every weekend. I hardly build anymore. The Fullhouse looks interesting though.
But I am subscribed,and we will see where it goes.

Fred
Crowfly is online now Find More Posts by Crowfly
Last edited by Crowfly; Aug 03, 2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 11:06 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaz View Post
I vote for the StevensAero FullHouse. I've been looking for an excuse to build one.
I agree, the FullHouse is a sweet bird. Are you in even if we don't go with the FullHouse?

Let me know. Thanks,

Frank
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Aug 03, 2012, 11:09 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Knipp View Post
I have to assume you are looking for strictly a kit build and not working with a simple design from plans. Scratchbuilding is what I am thinking and I have a great candidate. I have enclosed a link to you tube videos on the plane as well as the website to get the free plan download. I have built one and they are dead simple for beginners to cut the parts and assemble.

Just thought I would share this option.

Greg

Greg,

For this round, I think it is best to go with a kit. Since the target audience is those folks looking to get some experience with working with balsa, a kit I believe is the best approach right now.

If this is succssful, then we can go with something like you describe.

Thanks for the input.

Frank
Old Aug 03, 2012, 11:10 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowfly View Post
I might be game. Depending on the plane. I am finishing up a glow plane that should be done by then. I already have an EVA 3-D. I have bipe wings I never got around to. I have a Switchback with a broken fuse. So i would be a wing ahead on that one. But a switchback can be framed up in a couple evenings. Servos and hardware are what seems to drag on forever for me.
I have been really looking at the firestorm for a winter project. They have been running it with 4C on the firestorm thread,and i bet it's a rocket. But I have only been looking.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=991659
But I am subscribed,and we will see where it goes.
Very good and stay tuned. Never know where we'll head from here. We might just get a bunch of folks that want to build something different then the choices above. If we all agree on a build, I'm game for whatever.

This should be a lot of fun regardless.

Frank
Old Aug 04, 2012, 11:16 AM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,777 Posts
I also like the Deluxe Tele-master 40 EP. Just my 2 cents.
"The Telemaster 40 Kit V2 (TEL1450) is the more conventional version and is closer to the original Tele 40 stick built kit while improving it greatly with a lot of precision laser cut parts to speed the assembly and improve the end results. The wing and stab ribs as well as the front fuselage are laser cut as are the fuselage formers, firewall, hatch and motor mount. These parts make this kit a much easier to build project than the earlier kit, but at a higher cost. This version of the Telemaster 40 will build into a lighter version than the Deluxe kit due to the balsa stick construction rather than the lite plywood construction of the Deluxe."

Whatever Murocflyer goes with is fine with me.
IWC is online now Find More Posts by IWC
Old Aug 04, 2012, 12:03 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,457 Posts
And that might be the most difficult thing to do; decide on what to build. I'd like it to be a group consensus, if that is going to be possible anyway.

Frank
Old Aug 04, 2012, 12:07 PM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,777 Posts
Murocflyer, you are correct about the Contender being an ARF. I missed the ARF part.
Last edited by IWC; Aug 04, 2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 02:34 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWC View Post
http://downloads.hobbico.com/factshe...fact-sheet.pdf

New Top-Flite Mini Contender (36 in WP) All wood construction.

One more to add to the mix
That is an ARF isn't it? Would like to stick to kits to get some experience with building.

I have added photos of our "candidates" in this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1704637

Frank
Old Aug 04, 2012, 03:05 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,528 Posts
This looks interesting. I won't be able to manage actually participating in the building part because soon I'll be living in a dorm 2500 miles from all my tools and gear, but I'm happy to hang around and offer general input or advice where I can.

I'd consider myself a "builder". I have quite a few Speed 400 balsa racers under my belt as well as the plane in my avatar (scratch-designed and built) and the more recent mini version of it. Never had a balsa ARF, never built a balsa kit.

I think this is a good idea. I've been noticing a rather extreme anti-balsa, anti-building attitude in lot of beginner help threads. If I was brand-new reading some of the "advice" I've seen lately, I would probably mentally confine myself to RTF foamies and never even look at balsa. With a group of experienced builders to help things along, I'd say this could be a good way to get new balsa builders started but could also serve as a way of generally showing that balsa isn't the Devil.
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Aug 04, 2012, 03:21 PM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Feb 2012
67 Posts
Depending on what you end up building I might be interested. I have started a couple balsa planes many years ago but never got to covering them and they were not RC. I would not want to build a 3D plane but a sport flyer or something would be nice.

I would put myself in the Newbie category.
glazzies is offline Find More Posts by glazzies
Old Aug 04, 2012, 09:24 PM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,777 Posts
http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/erc01.htm

Please consider this model.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 02:46 AM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,675 Posts
Hi,

I could be interested in participating in this. I have built from plans, balsa kits, and ARF's over the years, but mainly ARF's recently. I did just finish building a Delta Diva from Todd's Models.

Suggestion? Instead of trying to agree on one kit, how about agreeing on one kit manufacturer? Everyone pick what they want from the agreed upon manufacturer and go from there?

Planes from one manufacturer should be similar enough in construction methods to suite the purpose of this thread, everyone participating would have more choices to pick what suites their needs, and everyone could work within their own budget.

for example, the Fullhouse 500 has been mentioned, but at $169.99 for just the kit, that might be a little high for some.

I'm sure I could find something from Stevens Aero, Mountain Models, or Alien Aircraft. Alien Aircraft has some nice planes with good package deals that would keep a project's costs reasonable.

How about a poll to choose a manufacturer?

Mickydee
mickydee is offline Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:38 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickydee View Post
Hi,

I could be interested in participating in this. I have built from plans, balsa kits, and ARF's over the years, but mainly ARF's recently. I did just finish building a Delta Diva from Todd's Models.

Suggestion? Instead of trying to agree on one kit, how about agreeing on one kit manufacturer? Everyone pick what they want from the agreed upon manufacturer and go from there?

Planes from one manufacturer should be similar enough in construction methods to suite the purpose of this thread, everyone participating would have more choices to pick what suites their needs, and everyone could work within their own budget.

for example, the Fullhouse 500 has been mentioned, but at $169.99 for just the kit, that might be a little high for some.

I'm sure I could find something from Stevens Aero, Mountain Models, or Alien Aircraft. Alien Aircraft has some nice planes with good package deals that would keep a project's costs reasonable.

How about a poll to choose a manufacturer?

Mickydee
I think I have to agree. Getting everyone to agree on one plane is going to cut down the number of participants greatly. If we all started a "project" at the same time though it would still be a lot of fun and we would get more people. And I also agree price is a major factor. I have been unemployed since may. And I cringed when I saw that price. I think since Mountain Models a Stevens Aero are a lot alike. Both companies planes might fit. Alien also,I have never looked at them.
I have to admit this one is tempting.
http://www.alienaircraft.com/k107.htm
Iduno, I'm keeping an open mind and just going with the flow.
Fred
Crowfly is online now Find More Posts by Crowfly
Last edited by Crowfly; Aug 05, 2012 at 09:46 AM.