SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:52 PM
Joined May 2012
432 Posts
Just a thought but could a kit/plans building forum be added to RCG?? It would really help with keeping building in one forum instead of being spread out over RCG. I was surprised there wasn't a forum for building already.
Gray Beard is offline Find More Posts by Gray Beard
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:57 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
837 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1649587

Robert
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:39 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,095 Posts
I was surprised as well. Kit building does not generate money for RCG like other new forums do so it will be a tough sell.

Has the owners been contacted since the above forum suggestion has recieved 50 votes I wonder?

Frank
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:42 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,551 Posts
Doesn't "The Builders Workshop" cover that?

Discussion of RC model building techniques, including scratchbuilding, kits, plans, and related tools, machining, etc.

The Builders Workshop - RC Groups
Turner2 is offline Find More Posts by Turner2
Old Sep 01, 2012, 11:00 PM
Joined May 2012
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner2 View Post
Doesn't "The Builders Workshop" cover that?

Discussion of RC model building techniques, including scratchbuilding, kits, plans, and related tools, machining, etc.

The Builders Workshop - RC Groups
That would do it! The idea is to just have one place to post all the different builds so edach build could be located. You can also subscribe to any of them that holds interest for you.
How would this be Frank?? Just post everything here in one spot.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 11:52 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,095 Posts
There are two problems that I see with the Builder's Workshop. And I have been having this discussion with other members for years.

1. No one (practically no one) goes there

2. The Builder's workshop is for "Techniques" for building, not for actually "building" model airplanes.

For example, why do foam builders have TWO forums for their kits and scratch builds and the balsa guys have zero? I don't get that, but that is not for me to know and care for that matter. I'm just a guest here and it is not my house. The owners can put their cereal boxes in any cabinet they wish.

And since we are trying to help newcomers in this hobby, we need to post our build threads where they hang out. That's why I think we should spread all the build threads out in as many forums as possible and we'll have this one as "base camp" with a link to all of them.

That is how I see it, but I am certainly open to suggestions and ideas. I just came up with this idea, it is you guys that are making it happen. I will go with whatever you guys feel is best.

Frank
Old Sep 02, 2012, 12:04 AM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
...I think we should spread all the build threads out in as many forums as possible and we'll have this one as "base camp" with a link to all of them...
This seems like the best way.
loNslo is online now Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Sep 02, 2012, 02:54 AM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Feb 2012
67 Posts
My build thread is located here
glazzies is offline Find More Posts by glazzies
Old Sep 02, 2012, 09:04 AM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glazzies View Post
Well, there you go.

If I get mine going I'll put it there as well. Maybe more will then find the wealth of information in the Builders Workshop. It is kind of hard to find, way down the list of threads in Aircraft General

They are even talking about you, Frank, in this pertinent thread titled How do we bring model building back?
Turner2 is offline Find More Posts by Turner2
Old Sep 02, 2012, 09:17 AM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
837 Posts
I'm not sure if they have yet. Need to see. Don't know why there can't be a balsa building section since foam builders do.

I post in the Builders Workshop because that is where I hang out and enjoy all the tips etc.

Robert

Quote:
I was surprised as well. Kit building does not generate money for RCG like other new forums do so it will be a tough sell.

Has the owners been contacted since the above forum suggestion has recieved 50 votes I wonder?

Frank
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old Sep 02, 2012, 09:49 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glazzies View Post
Got it, thanks. Subscribed.

And glad to see some folks will be posting their threads in the Builder's forum. Perhaps it may become a little more popular. And it is too bad it is so well hidden. When I first joined, it took me a long time just to "discover" it.

Frank
Old Sep 02, 2012, 10:04 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingconsulting View Post
I'm not sure if they have yet. Need to see. Don't know why there can't be a balsa building section since foam builders do.

I post in the Builders Workshop because that is where I hang out and enjoy all the tips etc.

Robert
Thanks Robert and maybe with the interest generated here, balsa kit builders can get their own forum like the foam guys have. Especially since kit building is really a thing of the past now.

Frank
Old Sep 02, 2012, 10:47 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Robert and maybe with the interest generated here, balsa kit builders can get their own forum like the foam guys have. Especially since kit building is really a thing of the past now.

Frank
So this is like, what... the last hurrah? A requiem? There are a lot of habitual builders over in the Scale forum.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Sep 02, 2012, 10:56 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b View Post
So this is like, what... the last hurrah? A requiem? There are a lot of habitual builders over in the Scale forum.
Huh? I'm not sure how the Scale forum relates to our goal here or not having a kit forum like the foam guys have. But I guess that is really a topic for another thread.

Frank
Last edited by Murocflyer; Sep 02, 2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined May 2012
432 Posts
RCU has a kit building forum and as popular as it is, there is less and less new build threads starting, it's more of a BS and questions and answers forum now compared to how it was just a few years ago.
There are still a few new builds starting but nothing like in the past.
In my last clubs in Calif. I was the only builder left. Even the guys that were builders when I joined these clubs gave it up for ARFs. One club tried to bring back building by having a racing class for the SIG Kavalier thinking members that wanted to race in the class would build there own plane. That didn't work but I could build a Kavalier with my eyes closed by the time they closed that class down.
Just a foot note but the SIG Kaviler is an outstanding build and one of the better stunt planes. The build isn't overly hard and the price of the kit is reasonable.
Another good option for a 40 size plane.
Not only is building becoming a lost art but look at the age of the pilots at your field. When I was growing up most the boys in town were building and flying model planes from a very early age. Today I see a it of a higher average age flying.
I think a kit and plans building forum only would be a good idea on RCG just like on RCU.