Got it. Thanks!

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:52 PM
Joined May 2012
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulio View Post
How long is the build "supposed" to take?
A build takes as long as it takes. You can have the same type of plane but from a different manufacture and it could take a lot more or less time too. If one person is using CA glue and one is using Tite bond wood glue that will mater. I just used some epoxy on a couple of parts and that put the breaks on my build until tomorrow. I could have used CA though.
I have been building wood plane kits sense 1956 so if I am in a hurry I can get a kit done in record time.
That also would defeat one of the reasons to be building, the enjoyment of the build. I find it relaxing and it relieves stress.
I mentioned the Fun Fly type of planes in a post, if you compete in a fun fly event then your plane is expendable. These types of planes can be started at 8PM and flown at 8AM and often have been. They were designed to die and be built fast.
On the other hand a nice Extra of the same size could take 6 or 8 weeks to build on average or 6 or more months depending on the builder and the time spent in the shop. A lot of people are starting a family and don't have a lot of time to be away in there shop. Others may find that a perfect reason to be in there shop!!
When I was younger and in my shop 6 to 8 hours a day 6 weeks for most kits was average for me, the same plane today could take me 6 months. I no longer build in a rush or want to spend my life in my new LITTLE shop. My last one was really nic and 1000 sq. ft. Not the one I have now!!
There is no real average, I have known scale builders to spend years on a kit that only took me 6 months to build. However, it only took one quick look to know what plane took the longest to build!
See how it is, no real answer.
Gene
Gray Beard is offline Find More Posts by Gray Beard
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:52 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b View Post
Couple of questions... what's magical about Sept. 29? I mean, winter's heading our way, and that means that a plane started Sept. 29 might not get flown 'till next spring.

Second: which forum do our build threads go in? I've signed up to build a 3D plane, but I don't see any point posting it in the 3D forum(s) -- most of those guys don't build, and the thread will be wasted.
You can put your build thread anywhere you want. Even in the Beginner's forum if you wish. It would be great if you could link this thread though in your first post just in case someone else is interested in participating.

And I agree, there would not be much interest in the 3D forum. Those guys do not build their own planes.

Oh, and why the 29th? That is just a date I picked out of thin air because I knew I could not probably start any sooner and would also help others clean off their building tables with plenty of advance notice. Or some folks might need to put a little extra cash away for their next plane so I gave them time to do that as well.

But feel free to start anytime. The "stage" is yours.

Frank
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:54 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Beard View Post
A build takes as long as it takes. You can have the same type of plane but from a different manufacture and it could take a lot more or less time too. If one person is using CA glue and one is using Tite bond wood glue that will mater. I just used some epoxy on a couple of parts and that put the breaks on my build until tomorrow. I could have used CA though.
I have been building wood plane kits sense 1956 so if I am in a hurry I can get a kit done in record time.
That also would defeat one of the reasons to be building, the enjoyment of the build. I find it relaxing and it relieves stress.
I mentioned the Fun Fly type of planes in a post, if you compete in a fun fly event then your plane is expendable. These types of planes can be started at 8PM and flown at 8AM and often have been. They were designed to die and be built fast.
On the other hand a nice Extra of the same size could take 6 or 8 weeks to build on average or 6 or more months depending on the builder and the time spent in the shop. A lot of people are starting a family and don't have a lot of time to be away in there shop. Others may find that a perfect reason to be in there shop!!
When I was younger and in my shop 6 to 8 hours a day 6 weeks for most kits was average for me, the same plane today could take me 6 months. I no longer build in a rush or want to spend my life in my new LITTLE shop. My last one was really nic and 1000 sq. ft. Not the one I have now!!
There is no real average, I have known scale builders to spend years on a kit that only took me 6 months to build. However, it only took one quick look to know what plane took the longest to build!
See how it is, no real answer.
Gene
Thanks Gene that pretty much sums it up.

All I can add is "enjoy the journey" it should not be rushed. Is that too broad of a metaphor?

Frank
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:15 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
I was asking about this particular clinic that starts sept. 29. I relise some have more time and some kits take longer , but is there a proposed ending date?

Is this a "winter" project? for most.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:20 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,334 Posts
Hopefully this is just a beginning. And hopefully there will be no end.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:11 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulio View Post
I was asking about this particular clinic that starts sept. 29. I relise some have more time and some kits take longer , but is there a proposed ending date?

Is this a "winter" project? for most.
I did not have a planned end date so to speak, but I'm sure everyone will be finished up with their builds in a couple months.

If successful, I wouldn't mind starting a new clinic very 6 months or so, but focus on different kinds of planes with each clinic.

Frank
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:13 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loNslo View Post
Hopefully this is just a beginning. And hopefully there will be no end.
I hope so too. Lessons learned here will last a lifetime.

Frank
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:18 PM
rtibbetts
Central Florida
Joined Mar 2008
269 Posts
Frank,
You can add my build to the list.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post22603828
rtibbetts@hotm is online now Find More Posts by rtibbetts@hotm
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:25 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtibbetts@hotm View Post
Frank,
You can add my build to the list.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post22603828
Got it Ron. Thanks!

I am going to out my build thread in the electric plane forum so it will help spread the "word."

Frank
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:35 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
And here is a link to my build thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1723312

Frank
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:41 PM
United States, WA, Covington
Joined Dec 2011
50 Posts
Do know that I will be building along, or even what I would build, but I will follow along. Call me a Newbie, since I haven't put a kit together in 50 years.
holensum is offline Find More Posts by holensum
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:03 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by holensum View Post
Do know that I will be building along, or even what I would build, but I will follow along. Call me a Newbie, since I haven't put a kit together in 50 years.
You bet! Feel free to follow along and I hope we all can learn some things or two. And if you do decide to pick up a kit and start building, let me know.

Frank
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:14 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by holensum View Post
Hey! Another 50-year man! Glad I'm not alone.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo