|Aug 02, 2012, 02:45 PM|
Model Airplane Building Clinic ~ Building A Kit
I am currently building a MM Switchback Sr and thinking to myself how much I enjoy building model airplanes. Then I thought that there are probably a bunch of folks that have never actually built a plane from either a kit or plans. Could be tons of reasons why that is, but perhaps one of the reasons is that they are not sure if they could actually build something from a kit. So then I thought, what about an online tutorial to teach folks how to build something. But even better yet, how about we get a bunch of folks working on the same plane at the same time and if they have any problems or questions, there will be a number of folks that could help answer their question.
So with that said, who would like to build a plane with me? You can build whatever you want to build, if you need some ideas let me know. I know a good choice is from Mountain Models or Stevens AeroModels since they are such great quality kits. You can be a total beginner to building or even an experienced builder, but I thought it would be cool to have a bunch of folks all building a plane at the same time so we can teach people on how to build a balsa plane.
I figure 29 Sep would be a good start date for the project to begin. That would give us time to figure out what we want to build and give people time to purchase the necessary things to build the plane. Then when we finish the build, we can pick a weekend and have a mass maiden with pics and videos being posted on how they go.
So who wants to be involved? Let me know and if you have any questions or some ideas on how we can make this even better please feel free to speak up.
I figure we better clarify skill levels so we can know who we are working with.
Newbie: No experience in building a balsa plane at all.
Basic: Has built one or two planes, but mostly has assembled balsa ARF planes.
Builder: Experience with working with balsa. Has built a number of planes or designed and built his own planes using balsa.
Master Builder: Been there done that. Has forgotten more about building balsa planes than most know.
Does that cover it?
Since this is going to be a clinic on how to build an airplane, all builders must have some tools to work with. I have put together a list of tools all builders shoould have. See here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1691768
For those folks who cannot particpate but still want to help out, I have created a thread for those folks wanting to sell or donate a kit to a newcomer looking to particpate. Click here; http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1715388
|Aug 02, 2012, 02:46 PM|
Name... Skill Level (Planed Build)
1. Murocflyer... Builder (Mountain Models Switchback)
2. IWC... Basic (Stevens Aero SQuiRT 400)
4. Fleaz...Master Builder (Stevens Aero FullHouse)
6. glazzies...Newbie (Mountain Models Lucky ACE)
7. Mickydee...Builder (Alien Aircraft Blinker)
8. Jasmine2501...Builder (House of Balsa Laser Stick .10)
9. Cloudflying... Basic (StevensAero - 1919 White Sport Monoplane)
10. Aero104... Master Builder (Pat Tritle Custom Models)
11. MrPnut... Newbie
12. Kingconsulting...Basic (Pat Trittle Fleet Model 2)
13. Rtibetts...Builder (Mountain Models ETana)
14. ChargedUp...Basic (Mountain Models Lucky ACE)
15. 3DDFHobbies...Master Builder (3D plane)
16. JimTMich...Builder (Swany House Primo 15)
18. rafe_b...Builder (Primo 40)
19. mjcmyers...Basic (DPC SE-5)
20. JimHSoars...Basic (MM EZ Scout or SIG Kadet)
21. loNslo...Builder (Great Planes J-3 Cub)
22. DJO...Newbie (Mountain Models DL-50)
23. gulio...Newbie (TBD)
31. dedStick...Builder (TBD)
32. mnowell129...Master Builder (Stevens AeroModel Edge 540)
33. GruntboyX...Basic (SIG Somethin' Extra)
34. kdahlhaus ...Basic (Peter Rake's PT-22)
36. cbarnes0061...Master Builder (Cap 232)
37. McMoggy...Basic (Top Dawg 40)
38. wbender...Basic (Park Scale Models Monocoupe)
39. ckimmey...Builder (Comet J-3 Piper Cub)
40. flyingcarl...Newbie (Cessna Skyhawk)
41. jbrooks01...Builder (Florio Flyer 40)
42. RCPtero...Builder (Tiger 60)
43. shadow102 ...Builder (Mansell Models Stits Skybaby)
44. The Violets... Newbie (SIG Somethin' Extra)
45. dmcMaine...Newbie (Stevens Aero FullHouse)
46. PoniesatemyBagel...Newbie (Eagle 2)
47. Harare...Newbie (Great Planes P51)
Click on their name above to go to their build thread.
Contact the below individuals at anytime that you have a question or problem.
3. Chad Veich
|Aug 02, 2012, 02:53 PM|
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
How about a LiddleBug? Cheap and easy for inexperienced builders. Kudos to you for encouraging this sort of thing, I've been itching for some kitbashing
|Aug 02, 2012, 02:59 PM|
Great Idea... Good luck...
Nothing like flying your own balsa build.
I have built several Mountain Models and loved them all.
I just finished one last week otherwise I'd join in.
|Aug 02, 2012, 07:27 PM|
Joined Feb 2003
count me in
Skill level Basic - Assembled Sig Kadet years ago. Did not install electronics. Gave the kit away after build.
How about an EVA Sport with tricycle gear? The Eva Sport has a flat bottom airfoil.
This model was modified by Turbojoe to accept the nose-gear.http://www.virtualaerodrome.com/imag...=21803&offset=
|Aug 02, 2012, 07:31 PM|
Joined Dec 2010
I've been a scratch builder since 1972 or even earlier if control line models were included.
I'd like to know how you all build your balsa models and say something that might be helpful
with newbies online, but I am afraid that I might have no time to build new planes but depron ones. Let me know if I could get involved with this thread in some degrees. Thank you
|Aug 03, 2012, 12:39 AM|
I was thinking the same thing about the EVA sport.
Here are some suggestions I came up with for planes:
Mini Telemaster v2
I'm open to suggestions for more but I think any of those choices would be a good build. If anyone has anymore suggestions, please let me know.
|Aug 03, 2012, 01:08 PM|
|Aug 03, 2012, 01:58 PM|
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
Well all of those are above my budgt I'm afraid. Id like to do this but I have other things to buy (3D foamy power system, RF G6, a used Dx6I..... etc etc. I couldn't afford those just to build something.
|Aug 03, 2012, 05:42 PM|
|Aug 03, 2012, 05:46 PM|
|Category||Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|New Product||The Horten Tailless Flying Wing Ė Letís Build One Together!||SoarScale2||Scale Sailplanes||100||Jul 12, 2013 01:50 PM|
|Discussion||Building obsession... Let's "spar..."||EscapeFlyer||Classic Pattern Flying||54||Apr 19, 2012 09:15 AM|
|Rant||Who is still scratch building? Let's see what you have. (please)||boredom.is.me||Micro EDF Jets and Power Systems||55||Apr 10, 2012 06:55 PM|
|Let's build a plane - #2||hoppy||Foamies (Kits)||37||Oct 14, 2001 06:21 PM|