SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by dag214, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:12 AM
Scratch Builder
Braunschweig, Germany
Joined Sep 2006
1,325 Posts
One more thing: I would fly this baby with 8s Lipos. I am almost finished with my 700 Jet Ranger (same chassis) and using 8s I have to throttle down all way.

And on a helicopter model like this you won't have a coupled pitch / throttle but a switch which you use to start the rotor. There is a pitch-throttle curve however. With upgoing pitch I throttle up. Actually I am using the govener mode in the ESC which takes care that the RPM is constant under all conditions. Since I love to fly at lowest possible RPM I raise the throttle significantly in the last 25% of the pitch. This is sort of an insurance in case somethig goes wrong. I needed it a couple of times when I underestimated the sink rate It saved the helicopter.

But usually I fly well below its limits. Smoothe and slow take off (not skyrocketing like most of my clubmates do). But a slow take of also has some risk. The helicopter can roll inadvertently. Since the visitors see strangly moving broomsticks all over the place they enjoy seeing my T-Rex 500 Bell UH-1B flying gently straight over the field at a height of three to six feet.

Cheers Alexander
AlexanderB is offline Find More Posts by AlexanderB
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:13 AM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderB View Post
One more thing: I would fly this baby with 8s Lipos. I am almost finished with my 700 Jet Ranger (same chassis) and using 8s I have to throttle down all way.

And on a helicopter model like this you won't have a coupled pitch / throttle but a switch which you use to start the rotor. There is a pitch-throttle curve however. With upgoing pitch I throttle up. Actually I am using the govener mode in the ESC which takes care that the RPM is constant under all conditions. Since I love to fly at lowest possible RPM I raise the throttle significantly in the last 25% of the pitch. This is sort of an insurance in case somethig goes wrong. I needed it a couple of times when I underestimated the sink rate It saved the helicopter.

But usually I fly well below its limits. Smoothe and slow take off (not skyrocketing like most of my clubmates do). But a slow take of also has some risk. The helicopter can roll inadvertently. Since the visitors see strangly moving broomsticks all over the place they enjoy seeing my T-Rex 500 Bell UH-1B flying gently straight over the field at a height of three to six feet.

Cheers Alexander
This is great stuff!!!!!

Looks like its a S-55 Project!!!!!!!!!

I just e-mailed you. WE need to find as many T-rex 600 parts we can in CAD so I can get a 3D started to know how to scale the fuse so everything will fit under the skin.

Rock ON!!!!

And have a great New Year buddy!!!!!!

DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:06 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Dec 2008
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnes0061 View Post
That is a pretty cool looking little bell. Where did you get it from?
I made it using an MCPX heli and an old "Revell' plastic kit... I had a build thread showing how easy it is to build....But, it was on the now defunct RRyder..

Here's a couple of assembly pics though;
coptercptn is offline Find More Posts by coptercptn
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:08 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Dec 2008
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
This is great stuff!!!!!

Looks like its a S-55 Project!!!!!!!!!

I just e-mailed you. WE need to find as many T-rex 600 parts we can in CAD so I can get a 3D started to know how to scale the fuse so everything will fit under the skin.

Rock ON!!!!

And have a great New Year buddy!!!!!!

DAG
I can just ship you a 600? Frame/with mechs...no tailboom. (I have a spare...Doesn't everyone???? )
coptercptn is offline Find More Posts by coptercptn
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:34 AM
Scratch Builder
Braunschweig, Germany
Joined Sep 2006
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coptercptn View Post
I made it using an MCPX heli and an old "Revell' plastic kit... I had a build thread showing how easy it is to build....But, it was on the now defunct RRyder..

Here's a couple of assembly pics though;
That looks really great! Wich scale is it?

Cheers Alexander
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:22 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coptercptn View Post
I can just ship you a 600? Frame/with mechs...no tailboom. (I have a spare...Doesn't everyone???? )
I will give you a call buddy. I still have all your stuff here, but not sure I can ship it as it is all flammable turbine jet stuff.

And that Bell is so way cool.

Question?(to all my buddies here)
Even though I have successfully flown a CP chopper, is the T-Rex 600 to big to really be my first CP chopper.

Thanks, Damon
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:30 AM
Scratch Builder
Braunschweig, Germany
Joined Sep 2006
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
Question?(to all my buddies here)
Even though I have successfully flown a CP chopper, is the T-Rex 600 to big to really be my first CP chopper.
From what I saw what you did in your basement with the litte Blade I'm not concerned.

You can as well start with the 700 (which it will be acually after doing the changes). Maybe it would be a good idea to set the kit up "as is" and get some practice while the project is moving on. Don't forget that the big chopper is way more calm in the air. It gives you plenty of time to react. There are some differences though. Whereas you can drop the little one by pitching all way down you won't do that with the big one

But I also saw what you did in the frontyard. I cannot see why you should not be able to start with the big one. You're an experienced pilot and you know how to use the rudder on a plane (which is crucial on a chopper).

Go ahead, get the 600, build it and fly it as is before you do the changes to put it in the fuselage. Get 5-10 hours flight time. Then your're safe to fly the fuselage (which you don't want to crash).

Cheers Alexander
Last edited by AlexanderB; Dec 31, 2012 at 07:32 AM. Reason: typo
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:34 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Quote:
From what I saw what you did in your basement with the litte Blade I'm not concerned.

You can as well start with the 700 (which it will be acually after doing the changes). Maybe it would be a good idea to set the kit up "as is" and get some practice while the project is moving on. Don't forget that the big chopper is way more calm in the air. It gives you plenty of time to react. There are some differences though. Whereas you can drop the little one by pitching all way down you won't do that with the big one

But I also saw what you did in the frontyard. I cannot see why you should not be able to start with the big one. You're an experienced pilot and you know how to use the rudder on a plane (which is crucial on a chopper).

Go ahead, get the 600, build it and fly it as is before you do the changes to put it in the fuselage. Get 5-10 hours flight time. Then your're safe to fly the fuselage (which you don't want to crash).

Cheers Alexander
Thanks!!!!
That is 110% what I want to do... Get some stick time, then modify that airframe.

I have to work today, but then we can talk. I will e-mail you when......

Rock ON!!!!!

Damon
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:47 AM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Aug 2008
2,618 Posts
Hi DAG, I always tell my students to get the biggest plane they can afford because as you know, bigger planes fly better. Well not surprisingly, the same holds true with helis. I started with a 450 but I'm currently looking at getting a 500 or 550.

- Birger
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:23 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,261 Posts
The 600 is extremely stable when set up properly. Great scale platform.

Mike
mike2663 is online now Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:08 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
What I did last night late... Its just a start, and look like junk..... but it is a start.... Its looking like a S55

Slammed today, but off tomorrow.....

DAG

Oh... We have landed on a S55 not the 58
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:16 PM
Scratch Builder
Braunschweig, Germany
Joined Sep 2006
1,325 Posts
Wow!

Amazing work. BTW I love this version of the S-55 with the straight tail boom. I think you need to thicken the tail a little to fit the gear box in.

Where did you get the cross sections from?

Very, very cool!

Cheers Alexander

P.S. let's talk tomorrow!
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:19 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen@lanset.com View Post
Yep. That's called 'idle up' and you did amazing for a first-timer. Here's me finally getting a grip on inverted hovering:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maID8Q3MWzs
VERY COOL!!!!

I a not sure I will ever be doing that as I am more of a scale guy, but I love seeing the 3D guys. Actually I love anything that flies

Rock ON!!!!!

DAG
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:19 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapMike View Post
Damon a thought occcured to me on the S-58. I moght be able to sell a couple for you if you wanted to pull a couple more to the guys at the Sikorsky Archives. I know a couple guys there fly Heli and they might want to do a mod like this.
See if they like the S55 as that is what we are going to be molding.....

Rock ON!!!!

DAG
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:22 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Quote:
Wow!

Amazing work. BTW I love this version of the S-55 with the straight tail boom. I think you need to thicken the tail a little to fit the gear box in.

Where did you get the cross sections from?

Very, very cool!

Cheers Alexander

P.S. let's talk tomorrow!
I found a very un-scale 3D online and started overlaying it on top of a picture I downloaded. As soon as I get all the Chaos/T-Rex parts drawn I will know how big to make the boom....

Rock on!!!!!!!
Damon