HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by dag214, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:31 AM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Hi Dag—

the Sikorsky is looking very good indeed. I haven't been much of a scale adherent but this has got me thinking. Congrats on flying the CP bird, which was surely an agile little devil. They are a lot of fun to throw around.

Merry Christmas to you, to Emma, and to your Lady.

Glen
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:21 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Dec 2008
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
Its kinda looking right?????

"Baby" is lookin' good!!!
And we'll figure out logistics to getting you that 600...
coptercptn is offline Find More Posts by coptercptn
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:35 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,250 Posts
Quote:
Its kinda looking right?????

Looks good, and I may be missing it, but you need some air inlets and outlets to keep everything from getting too hot. but it looks great. jim
Jimbo45cn is online now Find More Posts by Jimbo45cn
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:34 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
She looks like Hell,
But boy did I learn a bunch!!!!!!!

120SR-S58 (6 min 53 sec)

DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:36 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo45cn View Post
Looks good, and I may be missing it, but you need some air inlets and outlets to keep everything from getting too hot. but it looks great. jim
The top and bottom has holes.

Thanks!!!!
DAG
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:39 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen@lanset.com View Post
Hi Dagó

the Sikorsky is looking very good indeed. I haven't been much of a scale adherent but this has got me thinking. Congrats on flying the CP bird, which was surely an agile little devil. They are a lot of fun to throw around.

Merry Christmas to you, to Emma, and to your Lady.

Glen
THANKS!!!!!!

The weird thing on the chopper I flew was the throttle was in the middle, you never brought it all the way down for idle. It had a switch that gave you flight power. If you brought the stick all the way down it was for negative pitch (inverted flying).

I liked it, but took some time to get it under control. My buddy said I did great for only being around heli's for less than a year

DAG
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:52 PM
Scratch Builder
Braunschweig, Germany
Joined Sep 2006
1,325 Posts
Great buddy. I think if you can fly that beast in this confined space you can easily fly a 700 size helicopter outside.

Looks like a S-58 buddy!

Cheers Alexander
AlexanderB is offline Find More Posts by AlexanderB
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:20 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderB View Post
Great buddy. I think if you can fly that beast in this confined space you can easily fly a 700 size helicopter outside.

Looks like a S-58 buddy!

Cheers Alexander
Thanks!!!!!
She was a bit twitchy, my rates were way to high for a scaleish bird.......

I have to get the EII and the 36 done by SEFF, which I know the EII will be done, and I know the 36 will be taxing by then, but making this mold is not that hard, and as we have talked won't take much time once we know its scale.

Take care, and have a great New Year....

DAG
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:56 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Damon a thought occcured to me on the S-58. I moght be able to sell a couple for you if you wanted to pull a couple more to the guys at the Sikorsky Archives. I know a couple guys there fly Heli and they might want to do a mod like this.
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:01 PM
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Quote:
THANKS!!!!!!

The weird thing on the chopper I flew was the throttle was in the middle, you never brought it all the way down for idle. It had a switch that gave you flight power. If you brought the stick all the way down it was for negative pitch (inverted flying).

DAG
Yep. That's called 'idle up' and you did amazing for a first-timer. Here's me finally getting a grip on inverted hovering:

Trex 450 SE inverted (1 min 55 sec)
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:25 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Dec 2008
421 Posts
Quote:
THANKS!!!!!!

I liked it, but took some time to get it under control. My buddy said I did great for only being around heli's for less than a year

DAG
Yep....Idle up and stunt modes.. Think of it as "Head speed governing"...you want to maintain headspeed so the only changes made are in "Pitch" (Collective)
She's looking good though..Maybe a little (lot) more expo?.. My "Baby" birds like that a lot..
coptercptn is offline Find More Posts by coptercptn
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:42 AM
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
That's a great-looking Bell 47!
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:17 AM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
601 Posts
That is a pretty cool looking little bell. Where did you get it from?
cbarnes0061 is offline Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:02 PM
Scratch Builder
Braunschweig, Germany
Joined Sep 2006
1,325 Posts
Today my Chaos 600 kit arrived and I did some measurements of the chassis to see what would fit best.

On the S-58 it was clear that (as expected) the main shaft would have to be much longer with probably an additional bearing. The chassis of course had to be redone (just the sides with my CNC mill).

On the S-55 the tail will not work out. But I think with some changes this could be done. Of course the tail would have to be modified. But I think it won't be too visible.

Damon, I send you the material tomorrow.

Cheers Alexander
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:52 AM
Scratch Builder
Braunschweig, Germany
Joined Sep 2006
1,325 Posts
Hi Damon,

so this is how it can be done in the easiest way.

Take a Chaos 600 or a T-Rex 600 Chassis. The chassis does not have to altered. I went for the Chaos 600 chassis from scaleflying.com (actually scaleflying.de) with the elevated tail.

Here is what has to be changed:

* Tailboom of the T-Rex 700. But it has to be shortened by 59 mm. Also the torque tube has to be shortened accordingly. This is easy since the original torque tube can be disassembled.

* The elevated tail tube has to be shortened as well. Same with the short torque tube.

Thats pretty much it! The shortening of the two torqe tubes must be done most accurate since this is vital for the helicopter. It must sustain!

Since the S-55 has a two bladed tail rotor, no modifications are necessary. The shape of the tail blades can be modified for test flying. If they are fine, we can shape them to scale.

The main rotor head will be a three bladed system with 700mm blades (from the hole to the tip). There are some semi symmetrical blades as a set of three available but they usually turn right. We need a left-turning main rotor in order to put the tail rotor on the left hand side. Using symmetrical blades will consume more power but they for sure will be fine.

Cheers Alexander
Last edited by AlexanderB; Dec 30, 2012 at 05:14 AM. Reason: typos