HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:30 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,908 Posts
Discussion
Hobbyking/Hyperion Zlin Z-50L 25e

EDIT July 2014 - It appears the Zlin is now being phased out at Hobbyking which is a real shame - a great airframe. Availability elsewhere is unknown, but it's no longer on the Hyperion site either.

EDIT 21st Aug 2012 - Changed title and thread categorisation to reflect this is now a general discussion on the Hobbyking/Hyperion Zlin Z-50L 25e, and inserted link to building instructions PDF (below picture). Other threads on this plane...My build starts with the wing, with the fuselage install here and the maiden flight report on page 11.

PLEASE check the aileron horns on your model regularly; due to the sub-optimal linkage geometry this is a weak point. I nearly lost my Zlin to this issue, the only real area for improvement that I've found.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I spotted this in the Hobbyking UK warehouse and I'm sorely tempted - apparently the real thing was the inspiration for the Chris Foss Acro-Wot (my Dad's just picked up the PNP foam-e version of that plane which is near identical weight and dimensions and a great flyer, but I'd prefer a scale balsa model this time around).

Seems like a pretty and slightly unusual take on the sport aerobat - has anyone got one? Are they any good? The reviews in some of the other warehouses seem ok, apart from the usual dodgy undercarriage mount that comes free with most cheap ARTFs!

cheers,
Matt
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Jul 23, 2014 at 12:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:47 AM
Taranis Tyro...
Joined Jan 2004
3,908 Posts
Promo and flight videos...

HobbyKing Daily - Zlin 50L (2 min 18 sec)

Hobbyking Zlin 50L (5 min 38 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:03 PM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
I have one and absolutely adore it One of my favorite planes and without doubt one of the most elegant looking in the air!

I fly it with a NTM 3542/1000 spinning a 12x6 and 2200mAh 3-cell/40A ESC - giving me a calculated 1:1.35 in thrust, and in real life it actually feels like more...

Good thing is that this setup gives me close to 10min. average flying gentle aerobatics - this plane is made for doing long elegant Cuban-8's

Greetings from Norway,
Kai W-E
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:32 PM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,623 Posts
Hi Kai W E,

How would you rate the quality of this ARF? I have found Hobbyking to be a little hit and miss sometimes with the quality of their stuff.

Mickydee
mickydee is offline Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Aug 03, 2012, 05:09 PM
Taranis Tyro...
Joined Jan 2004
3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiWE View Post
I have one and absolutely adore it One of my favorite planes and without doubt one of the most elegant looking in the air!

I fly it with a NTM 3542/1000 spinning a 12x6 and 2200mAh 3-cell/40A ESC - giving me a calculated 1:1.35 in thrust, and in real life it actually feels like more...

Good thing is that this setup gives me close to 10min. average flying gentle aerobatics - this plane is made for doing long elegant Cuban-8's
Thanks Kai - much appreciated. That setup is pretty much what I was looking at; There seems to be a little debate on the best motor size (3548 or 3542) on the HK website, but I guess you've put that one to bed!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:35 PM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickydee View Post
Hi Kai W E,

How would you rate the quality of this ARF? I have found Hobbyking to be a little hit and miss sometimes with the quality of their stuff.

Mickydee
Nothing to say on the quality on this one - Perfect covering, good quality on the wood, mine seemed quite good glued together - but went over a few critical joints with CA to be sure. Have seen some comments on the mount for the UC, but mine's still keeping up - and my landings aren't always perfect (just almost )
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE
Old Aug 04, 2012, 01:13 AM
United Kingdom, England, Melton Mowbray
Joined Jan 2008
411 Posts
I have the larger version of this and was blown away by the quality. Only thing that needs a bit of beefing up is the servo tray as it flexes a bit. Flys lovely, looks great and is a bit different from everything else.

Go for it in sure you won't be disappointed.

Chris
chris jones is offline Find More Posts by chris jones
Old Aug 07, 2012, 12:20 AM
United Kingdom, England, Bisley
Joined Oct 2010
87 Posts
Mine has just arrived. Chris foss used the zlin 50l as inspiration for the Acro wot design. This is my first balsa/ply artf and I am very impressed. As it is the same span and weight as the Acro wot foam-e I might use the same power set up. Only thing I have changed is the wheels as the ones supplied are a bit hard and not very scale. The ones I used are from my old starmax AMX.
ledzep76 is offline Find More Posts by ledzep76
Last edited by ledzep76; Mar 08, 2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:48 PM
Taranis Tyro...
Joined Jan 2004
3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep76 View Post
Mine has just arrived. Chris foss used the zlin 50l as inspiration for the Acro wot design. This is my first balsa/ply artf and I am very impressed. As it is the same span and weight as the Acro you foam e I might use the same power set up. Only thing I have changed is the wheels as the ones supplied are a bit hard and not very scale. The ones I used are from my old starmax AMX.
Excellent - keep us updated on how the build goes. What diameter were the stock wheels you've replaced?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2012, 02:23 AM
Joined Jan 2008
411 Posts
I love the Zlin and have seen a profile foamy one too. Think maybe that and the 25e may well be a very nice way to go!

Keep us posted on this one - I'm very tempted to replace my Acromaster with it.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:44 AM
Taranis Tyro...
Joined Jan 2004
3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris jones View Post
I love the Zlin and have seen a profile foamy one too. Think maybe that and the 25e may well be a very nice way to go!

Keep us posted on this one - I'm very tempted to replace my Acromaster with it.
Interesting you should say that - I was considering the Acromaster til I found out about all the issues with vibration many have had. Shame, its a great looking model and seems to fly very well.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Aug 09, 2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 04:20 PM
Joined Jan 2008
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB View Post
Interesting you should say that - I was considering the Acromaster til I found out about all the issues with vibration many have had. Shame, its a great looking model and seems to fly very well.
Never had a problem with mine, use a metal motor mount, don't stupidly overpower it and stick a cross brace at the rear of the motor mount plastic holders and your good to go.

Chris
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:59 PM
Taranis Tyro...
Joined Jan 2004
3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris jones View Post
Never had a problem with mine, use a metal motor mount, don't stupidly overpower it and stick a cross brace at the rear of the motor mount plastic holders and your good to go.
Yeah, I'm sure it's eminently fixable but I just fancy the looks of a scale crunchy like the Zlin.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2012, 04:33 PM
United Kingdom, England, Bisley
Joined Oct 2010
87 Posts
zlin update

My slightly more scale wheels with the hubs painted silver and fitted using a pop rivet as the stub axle. JUSt waiting for the motor to arrive. The spinner is a Sig 2 " one. Also blacked out the internal canopy frame and epoxy the wing together.

Pictured here with my alfa models p-47.

ledzep76 is offline Find More Posts by ledzep76
Last edited by ledzep76; Aug 17, 2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 01:17 AM
Pigs can fly!
New Zealand, Wellington, Lower Hutt
Joined Nov 2011
61 Posts
Hi there. This is a good looking plane (great photo's ledzep) and from what I have read seems to be very well put together. Would appreciate some advice as I'm not sure if I'm ready for this or should look at other low wingers first such as the Parkzone T-28. I've been flying for around 18 months, starting off with an AXN/Clouds Fly (Hobbyking) and moving on to a Radian Pro and in the last five months an SFM 1400mm Cessna 185, same as the Jamara 185 sold in the UK (tail dragger). Have also flown Parkzone low wing ultra-micro's such as the Trojan and Mosquito.

I suspect that this will be less forgiving and don't want to end up stuffing broken balsa into a bag!

Have also considered the Acro Wot MK II Foam E but have been disappointed by the quality issues mentioned on the forums.

Cheers
Michael
Monty500 is offline Find More Posts by Monty500
Last edited by Monty500; Aug 18, 2012 at 04:13 AM.