SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Kauz, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:18 AM
Somewhere in the Black Forest
Joined Oct 2009
440 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Detailing the PZ- Albatros DVa- The lever for the radiator shutters and other details

One of the parts on my to-do list was the control lever for the radiator shutters. here's how I did it. Needed materials: Aluminum sheet metal, 0.5mm thick, one servo control horn with two arms and a wideness of 16mm from the center hole to the outside of at least one arm, as the other has to be cut down to the most inner hole, one 2.5mm screw with washer and nut and a small piece of scrap 1mm balsa wood. This would be enough for the lever alone, if you want to do the control rod too, you need a piece of 1mm or 1.2/ 1.3mm wire and a piece of plastic tube in which the wire fits, in addition. The photos should be self explanatory enough, but here are some hints to ease your work. The hole for the screw should be drilled before bending the aluminum sheet metal as it is much easier in this stage of work. The nut of the screw should get a drop of thread lock as you should not tighten it too much, otherwise the lever would not move any more. You could use a lock nut too, but this would look too bulky. On my model the wire for the shutters ends about in the first third of the radiator (seen from the side), gliding in a piece of plastic tube of a bowden cable which is then glued to the underside of the radiator using CA. Please keep in mind: These were the materials I was using, if the materials you have at home differ from them, you have of course to adopt your measurements.

Have fun building,
Frank
Kauz is offline Find More Posts by Kauz
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Kauz; Sep 18, 2012 at 12:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2012, 04:46 AM
Joined Oct 2009
440 Posts
Today I have some downloads for you. It's three Word- docs containing various files I created for my Albatros. I divided the files in three parts, as each file has to be printed on different material. They are all ready to be printed. The cockpit is a file I found years before on the net, I adopted it for the Albatros so it would fit. You just have to cut it in shape. I would recommend to print it on photo paper, as the colours show up brighter than on regular paper. The weight table should be printed on clear self adhesive film and for the ammo belts and the AXIAL- propeller logos I used white self adhesive paper. You need two belts for each side. I chose a black background for them as the cartridges show up better then. Hope this will help you in making your model a bit more realistic.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Albatros DV.a....the third ;-)
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:42 AM
Joined Oct 2009
440 Posts
The next part of my Albatros detailing covers the dummy control wires for rudder, elevator and ailerons. It's easy to do and adds a lot of scale touch. The materials you will need are nearly the same as you needed in the rigging section, as there are aluminum tube, outer diameter 2mm, inner diameter 1mm, elastic cord and wooden stirring sticks. I always take some with me when I visit the fast-food restaurant with the golden "M" . You have to make three control horns for rudder and elevator, one complete one that goes through the elevator and two that are only half and complete the plastic stock ones. The length of the complete one should be about 26mm. On the elevator you should take care to let protrude your horns on the upper side not more than 8-9mm to make sure that they won't interfere with the rudder if both control surfaces are fully deflected. For the single rudder and the single lower elevator cord, I glued a short piece of plastic tube into the fuselage into which I then glued the cord itself. The aileron control wire assembly should be self explanatory as per the photos, just keep in mind that it is made of one piece of cord and the way I did it makes sure you can remove it if you have to take off your upper wing.
And now something in my own account: Of course there will be a little more load applied to the servos due to the tension of the cord! I haven't had any issues with that ever since as it is really negligible, but if you are uncertain about this mod and what it does to your servos/ electronics, please leave everything as is and don't blame me for any problems or damages that may have ocurred! Everything is on one's own responsibility!

Have fun building and happy flights,
Frank
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Kauz; Aug 06, 2012 at 05:48 AM.