Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:55 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Help!
Noob to HLG and DLG, need info on starting

Hi there,
I've seen the term DLG plenty over the past two years and never really looked into it much. I fly electric only, and after flying a ton of different stuff (including powered gliders), I'm starting to ramp up on jets. I love the look and sound, but I recently saw a video on a DLG function (on JG blog) and it looked pretty interesting.

I fly primarily in CT, in a pretty flat area. We two have two parts of our field flanked by some pretty tall trees, and we almost always have hawks and eagles and all types of winged things riding the thermals. I love taking my Radian and basically following the birds around and getting 30 minute flights on a 1300 mAh battery.

So I'm looking for info on getting into this line of flying. Hope I can get some info from you folks.

What am I looking at price wise for a decent entry level set up? I am in no way a builder, and these things look fancy and precise, so I would be helping local communities/economies everywhere by buying one, ready to fly for the most part.

Can I assume that these are never launched by means other than a hard toss?

Also, I'm wondering if I could strap one of these to one of my larger foamies or my 9' Telemaster plus and launch/drop it from there. Is there an altitude that these to better at?

Any helpful comments are appreciated, even some not so helpful. Thanks.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:11 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,077 Posts
Hey there!

First off I am fairly new to DLG also. I as well came from mostly Electrics, everything from 180 mph Composite Pylon planes, 150mph EDF Jets, and low and slow 3D flying. I picked up DLG and am HOOKED. Dont be surprised if you fly your other planes less....

Anyways there are many entry level and cheap DLG's. There are also some kits. However these will only get you an "idea" of what its like. Only to really discover DLG when you get into a composite DLG.

I would suggest maybe a topsky 1.0c. It is a full Fiberglass airframe, with FG pod and wing. Carbon boom, and balsa tails. The Build is fairly easy, and The DLG community is more than willing to help you with the build and ANY questions you might have!

The Apache and other wood kits are fun, but nothing compared to the performance of a composite.... trust my I now just got a Super Topsky 2.0 Disser, its about $380 for the airframe. However the 1C is only around 140-150 if I remember correctly.

You could drop one from your telemaster, But half the fun is the launch!

Builds are fairly Easy, Join the wings, drill bolt holes, glue tail feather to boom, then boom to pod. And set up electronics. If you have built an electric sailplane and are used to working with limited space, then it should be fairly easy!
Jwmflying14 is offline Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Old Aug 02, 2012, 01:49 AM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,277 Posts
I'm a newb too, and have no time to build. So, I opted for the ELF. Most of the building is done for you. For the most part, glue on the tail, install servos, and rx.....fly. That set the hook.

The second option is to buy used.

I have exercised both options, and now have 4.

Bill
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old Aug 02, 2012, 01:50 AM
Hunting for Goat Lifters
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Jul 2012
109 Posts
I am also pretty new to DLG. I am currently waiting for mine to arrive. I went for a local aircraft which is pretty much entirely carbon. I did have a look at the Elf, which I think is a great little starter DLG. The guys that have them rave about them. I also looked at a blaster 3. I was just concerned about reducing any possibly damage to it while starting out by handling or poor landings. The carbon is a lot stronger and can take those little knocks a bit better than the other materials. So that was my selling point for going carbon. Only issue I foresee for me, is if I stuff it good and proper it's gonna be a bugger to repair as I have never worked with carbon.

It really is a great form of flight. Incredibly relaxing and rewarding while hunting for lift.

You can also use the DLGs with ailerons for a bit of light slope work as well, so broadens its application. Sure, it's not an outright slope plane but it can still manage just fine.

JWMfling also hit the nail on the head. The planes he suggested are pretty good as well and were I fact some of the other craft I looked at.

Just my thoughts

Cheers
T
Titus ZA is offline Find More Posts by Titus ZA
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:49 AM
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Feb 2007
725 Posts
The best thing you can do to answer this question is come out to long island this weekend and ask all your questions while watching a contest. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1650551 we will be out all Saturday and Sunday.

If you don't want to build. Buy used.

Austin
austinhlg is online now Find More Posts by austinhlg
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:11 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,534 Posts
porcia83:

What Austin sez: go meet others. They will be your best window on what it is and how to go about it. At a contest, you will see the hot setups, but there will be someone there with your background as well - and everyone will be willing to show you the ropes.

If you lived out West, where I do, we'd have you out on the field, launching. Yeah, it's really that easy.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:30 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
folks, I appreciate everyone's comments, I knew I would get good stuff here. I wish I could go to the the Island this weekend, bet it would be a blast our there, scheduling won't work.

I think buying a used one might be the way to go. I'll start the hunt!
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:37 AM
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Feb 2007
725 Posts
Also buy 1.5m it will be much more satisfying in the long run. There is a reason that is what we compete with.

Austin
austinhlg is online now Find More Posts by austinhlg
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:55 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
bigger is always better!
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:23 AM
Hey was that a Thermal ????
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
bigger is always better!

I would have to agree...in most cases but that is a different subject....
The_Builder is offline Find More Posts by The_Builder
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:25 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,641 Posts
One of you guys ought to snap this one up.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1703918

Oops! Already sold..... That's the kind of plane you want to keep an eye out for. A used Taboo or Vandal would make a great first plane too. FWIW, I bought a used Taboo GT as my first DLG almost exactly one year ago. That's an excellent way to get started. You get to fly without having to learn the skills of building a DLG first. I've been in the hobby for nearly 30 years now and building has never been a problem for me but building DLGs IS different. If you buy an assembled one first you get a chance to see how things are suppose to look. I'll also recommend that you look at the videos from Radio Carbon Art. Here is a good first one. Paul has more. Also look at Oleg's Taboo GT building guide here. It's an excellent how-to as well.

Mike
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Last edited by Mr. Wiz; Aug 02, 2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:40 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Fantastic, thanks Mike. I actually saw that one this morning and was thinking about it. Like all good stuff here, it goes fast!
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:24 PM
AMA 964040
USA, MA, Worcester
Joined Oct 2008
221 Posts
+1 on the Radio Carbon Art videos. I have a few including the DLG assembly vid and they are excellent.

Also, you mentioned a 9' Telemaster, and jets, so I'm assuming you don't mind spending a few bucks on toy planes. but just keep in mind when you are figuring out your budget to add $100 - $150 for servos. You sure aren't going to be using those $3 servos from China. Those are great for foamies, but you want something good for DLG and sailplanes in general, something that has plenty of power and centers well. But, on the plus side, no motor or engine to buy, and the batteries are cheaper, too, because they are much smaller.
MAP123 is offline Find More Posts by MAP123
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,534 Posts
porcia38:

If you intend to buy used, two things:

1. Be ready to respond NOW. They go within seconds. I never even got to advertize my Taboos last year, and they sold.

2. Don't be afraid to buy a rough-looking airplane. Damage gets fixed, and these thing just keep on flying.

Yours< Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:08 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,641 Posts
Listen to what Greg says. He didn't have to advertise because I asked first if anyone had a used DLG to sell. He responded with two and someone else snapped up the one I didn't take. Go to the classified section and post a want ad. I'm guessing you'll have a few responses. Also, the planes we've been talking about are bagged foam winged planes. Those can take a beating and keep on flying. The one I got was a little rough looking but it flew great. I banged it up pretty hard and all I had to do was re-bag it and it flew great again.

Something like a Blaster is a great second plane because it flys so well and is forgiving but.... It's not particularly durable and you'll need that for the first several months of learning DLG flying.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz