Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Contest
The august big sky international soaring contest

THE AUGUST BIG SKY INTERNATIONAL
LONGEST DURATION CONTEST FOR ALL ELECTRIC AND HAND LAUNCHED GLIDERS
THERMAL SOARING AND SLOPE SOARING
RULES AND INFO:
Contest will run from 12:01 am August 1 to 11:59 PM August 31 Eastern US time.
The contest is for ALL electric or hand launched gliders or airplanes of all sizes, all materials and all controls. The contest is intended to help motivate you to develop your thermal and slope soaring skills.
The contest is open to all gliders, e-gliders and, if you like, e-airplanes too. If it glides, it qualifies.
In Thermal Duration, the contest is split into three classifications, 2-meter and under E Gliders, Open class E Gliders and Hand Launch Gliders.
You can post as many times as you like using as many planes as you like, but only one will be counted per pilot per category regardless of what kind of plane you are flying. You can replace a shorter time with a longer time any point during the contest. You can fly as many flights as you like.
Goal - longest duration thermal and slope flights without use of the motor.
THE PLANES:
* Any electric motor system or unpowered hand launch glider. (No winches or Hi-Starts).
* Any wing controls and any wing span
* Any construction
BIG SKY - ELECTRIC THERMAL SOARING
1) From a fresh hand or ground launch you can run the motor for up to 30 seconds, then you turn the motor off and you can not restart it. Reclimbs are not permitted. If you restart the motor the flight time is no good.
2) Motor time starts as soon as you apply throttle. This is an LMR, Limited Motor Run contest with a pretty long motor run allowed so that the motor run itself does not provide much advantage to anyone. Many will choose to shut off the motor in less than 30 seconds. No credit for shorter motor runs.
3) Soaring time starts when the motor goes off. Either you time the whole flight and subtract the motor run or you use two watches, one to time the motor run and one to time the flight. I have multiple timers on my radio so I can do this with my radio alone. How you do this is up to you.
4) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing must be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be on the ground/grass or pavement. Landing in a tree, bush, structure or other elevated spot that would not normally be a landing spot does not count. There are no other rules around the landing.
6) Time stops when the glider comes to a rest. So the clock keeps running if you clip a branch, or go to land and bounce back into the air. When the plane stops, time stops.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch from the ground/hand. No reclimbs permitted.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. You can fly as many days as you like to work toward your best time. The goal is to achieve personal bests in the fun atmosphere of a contest.
BIG SKY - HAND LAUNCH THERMAL SOARING
1) Soaring time starts at release of the plane.
2) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing must be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be hand catch or on the ground/grass or pavement. Landing in a tree, bush, structure or other elevated spot that would not normally be a landing spot does not count. There are no other rules around the landing.
6) Time stops when the glider comes to a rest. So the clock keeps running if you clip a branch, or go to land and bounce back into the air. When the plane stops, time stops.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. You can fly as many days as you like to work toward your best time. The goal is to achieve personal bests in the fun atmosphere of a contest.
BIG SKY - SLOPE SOARING
1) From a fresh hand or ground launch you can run the motor for up to 5 seconds, if you need it to get into the lift. I would expect most slope flights will have no motor run but some sites need a boost to the lift.
2) Motor time starts as soon as you apply throttle and is subtracted from the total flight time.
3) Soaring time starts when the motor goes off. Either you time the whole flight and subtract the motor run or you use two watches, one to time the motor run and one to time the flight. How you do this is up to you.
4) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing has to be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be on the same level as the launch. Landing down the slope or up in the trees does not count. You must come to rest in a "normal" landing spot and be able to walk over and pick it up. I realize this can vary by slope site so you are on your honor as to whether this was a normal landing.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch from the ground or hand. No powered reclimbs permitted. If you restart the motor the flight does not count.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. Try as many days as you like to get your best time of the month.
For either contest you report the results via post.
Report Format:
Your Name - Real or RCGroup Name - your choice
Glider/plane name and wingspan:
Thermal, Hand Launch or Slope:
Date and Time of flight:
Duration of flight:
Comments - You are welcome to report anything you like about the day, the flight. Pictures, videos, gps plots, etc are welcome but not required.
I will maintain the thread and keep the second post updated with the top 10 Thermal (2 meter class) top 10 Thermal (Open class)and top ten Slope reports. Only one flight of each type will be recorded in the standings for each pilot. A new better time will replace the original.
THREAD CONTENT -
This thread is for contest reports and for discussion about the contest only.
Contest Records:

Thermal:
2 Meter Class:
Andy Grose (dee-grose)
Glider name:Radian
Thermal or Slope: Thermal
Date and Time of flight:April 19, 2012 11:20am
Duration of flight:1:38:04 (after 30 sec motor run)
Max Altitude: 3028ft AGL

Open Class:
Palo Lishak (aka TENDER in RCGroups)
Glider name: supra Stork electric
Date and Time of flight: October 29th 2011, start of flight 15:50 CET
Duration of flight: 1:45:40 (11 s climb with motor)
Hand Launch:

Slope:
Hunnerbunner
Duration: 2:33:14
Date: 4/26/11
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:27 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
STANDINGS:

Thermal:

2 Meter Class E-Gliders:

peterlngh
Glider Name: HobbyKing Specter 1800 (Passer-X clone)
Thermal or Slope: Electric thermal.
Date and Time of Flight: Aug. 2nd @11:30 AM
Duration of flight: 22:15 duration after 12s climb

Erik Sipos (grgosko)
Glider name: Silver- Riva models
Date and Time of flight: August 30, 2012 start of flight 17:00 CET
Duration of flight: 18:23:07 (after 27.3 sec motor run)
Max Altitude: 520m is 1706,0367 ft

MMR - Martin
Glider/plane name and wingspan: Horten III - 2M - scratchbuilt
Thermal, Hand Launch or Slope: Thermal
Date and Time of flight: August 1, 2012, 12:15 AM
Duration of flight: 11:53 minutes (longest flight)

Open ClassE-Gliders:

Leadchucker/Warren
Weather: Partly Cloudy, +85*f,58% RH, Wind from 045* <5kts
Glider/plane name and wingspan: Pulsar 3.2 m
Date and Time of flight: 22 Aug 2012 @ 1415
Duration of flight: 1 hour 21 min with 200 meter launch
max. Altitude:2469 ft AGL
Location:South Jersey Golden Eagles Club field, Pole Tavern NJ

Don Bourdon
Glider/plane name and wingspan: Wanderer 2.5M scratch built
Date and Time of flight: 8/25/12 11AM
Duration of flight: 1:08:42

Murph (Paul Murphy)
Sailplane: ASPIRE PRO-DISSER E. 3.7M
August 19th, 3:00-3:30 PM
30min 33 sec. 23 second motor run already deducted.
Max Altitude: 2767 feet
BrattelBrook RC Field, Pittsfield, Massachusetts

Blunight
Glider: Art Hobby Orion 2.5M
Date and Time of flight: August 11, 2012 12:40pm
Duration of flight: 21:51 (after 30 sec motor run)
Location:Paul Bunyan Flying Club field - Brainerd, Minnesota
Max Altitude: 2000 ft?
Weather Conditions: Sunny, wind 5mph

gpeden / Glen Peden
Glider/plane name and wingspan: Grafas 3.1M
Date and Time of flight: Aug. 9, 5 pm
Duration of flight: 17:51 - after 29 second motor run

Hand Launch:

nigel sheffield
glider: blaster dlg
Thermal hand launch
date time: 10/8/2012 10:40am
duration of flight: 20 mins.
location yorkshire UK

Slope:

744Drv
Glider/plane name and wingspan: Radian Pro 2m
Thermal, Hand Launch or Slope: Slope
Date and Time of flight: 15 Aug 12 12:45 (GMT+8)
Duration of flight: 01:02:25, 1 hr 2 mins and 25 seconds
Location: Hong Kong on east facing slope of Ma On Shan overlooking Sai Kung

UberZogster (Karl)
Glider/plane name and wingspan: Radian 2M
Date and Time of flight: 8-30-12 11:45-1:00
Duration of flight: 60min 0sec timed

MMR - Martin
Glider/plane name and wingspan: Franken DLG - 1.5M - Edge 2P wing, Tom Siler fuse, Top Sky tail feathers
Date and Time of flight: August 5, 2012, 9:45 AM
Duration of flight: 33:12 minutes
Last edited by JumpySticks; Aug 31, 2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:55 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,524 Posts
Since I'm new I'll start things off. Since I won't be able to match the better flight times until I get some bigger batteries this will probably be my only chance to lead.

HobbyKing Specter 1800 (Passer-X clone)
1800mm span
Electric thermal.
Aug. 2nd @11:30 AM
22:15 duration after 12s climb
West Saint Paul, Mn.

I could have made it longer if I hadn't gotten a bit overwrought bailing out of a monster thermal. At least I know how fast I can go without folding the wings!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:39 PM
MMR
Martian
Joined Mar 2007
443 Posts
Name: MMR - Martin
Glider/plane name and wingspan: Franken DLG - 1.5M - Edge 2P wing, Tom Siler fuse, Top Sky tail feathers
Date and Time of flight: August 5, 2012, 9:45 AM
Duration of flight: 33:12 minutes

Went to the beach for the weekend - packed my 'beater' DLG and managed to get some flying in on Sunday AM. This is my first 'real' slope flight - more like skimming the dunes. Here in eastern NC it's flat, flat, flat - so thermalling is the name of the game. I have often thought about sloping the dunes and I finally did it!
What a blast! There was a stiff breeze off the Atlantic, right up the dunes - the dunes are not really high, maybe 10 - 15 feet after a small rise. It took a couple of tosses to figure out where and how big the lift band was (not much, not very high, but once known it was very flyable. I never got higher than maybe 30 feet, but it was consistent, and if I got pushed back too far, I was always able to reach the lift zone again and climb a bit...

Time to build a micro sloper for the beach!

Martin
MMR is offline Find More Posts by MMR
Old Aug 06, 2012, 09:21 PM
MMR
Martian
Joined Mar 2007
443 Posts

I have been working on this project for some time - scratchbuilding a capable flying/soaring wing. The first step in this process is the Horten III. It got built in the winter and maidened in March.
It has been quite a handful to tame - I had problems with aileron flutter, so I learned how to do silicon hinges. I had too much incidence on the motor thrust line - that's fixed now. It really took a long tim eto figure out the proper CG location - wings are extremely sensitive... I also underestimated the amount of washout needed - so now the ailevators are making up for that deficiency. In any case, it finally flies 'hands-off'
Don't think I'll 'win' but I feel that I won by getting this design this far!

I also invested in a altitude recording device, so I was able to document my flights.

The last issue I have is that the folding prop in the pusher config does not always fold (weak brake?) when it does not, the HoIII really comes down like a brick. When it folds, decent performance and thermalling is possible - see flights 2 & 3.

Anyone have any experience with pusher folding props?

Martin
Last edited by MMR; Aug 06, 2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 05:23 AM
Chess club geek with wings
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Aug 2008
1,054 Posts
Blunight
Glider: Art Hobby Orion 2.5 Meter
Thermal
Date and Time of flight: August 5th, 2012 11:00am
Duration of flight: 8:40 (after 30 sec motor run)
Location: Paul Bunyan Flying Club field - Brainerd, Minnesota
Max Altitude: 1078 AGL
Weather Conditions: 74 degrees and a nasty 12 mph wind made soaring (and landing) a challenge!

Thermal conditions have been poor here for the last few weeks and I'm looking forward to the fall when things should improve.

Martin,
Beautiful scratch built wing! Are the plans available for download somewhere?
blunight is offline Find More Posts by blunight
Old Aug 07, 2012, 12:02 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMR View Post

I have been working on this project for some time - scratchbuilding a capable flying/soaring wing. The first step in this process is the Horten III. It got built in the winter and maidened in March.
Martin
That's a very cool project!
Old Aug 07, 2012, 02:23 PM
MMR
Martian
Joined Mar 2007
443 Posts
Blunight - sorry no plans that I know of, however there are several Horten projects going on, so someone else may know of one.
I don't think that this version really merits sharing yet - next one is going to be balsa sheeted foam with - hopefully - better performance & larger too.

Martin
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:24 AM
Hong Kong, Discovery Bay
Joined Apr 2011
232 Posts
Your Name - 744Drv
Thermal, Hand Launch or Slope: Slope .... a big one
Date and Time of flight: 9 Aug 12 15:55 (GMT+8)
Duration of flight: 44:00 mins

Went up the hill to fly and wanted to set a good time .... but I was limited by how long my wife would tolerate sitting with me!! As a bonus she was there to record a short video:

RP Soaring (1 min 5 sec)
744drv is offline Find More Posts by 744drv
Old Aug 10, 2012, 04:17 AM
Joined Aug 2008
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 744drv View Post
Your Name - 744Drv
Thermal, Hand Launch or Slope: Slope .... a big one
Date and Time of flight: 9 Aug 12 15:55 (GMT+8)
Duration of flight: 44:00 mins

Went up the hill to fly and wanted to set a good time .... but I was limited by how long my wife would tolerate sitting with me!! As a bonus she was there to record a short video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dakucXD5V2g
Impressive video, thanks for posting it - What was the wind speed during the flight?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 07:11 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,844 Posts
nigel sheffield
glider: blaster dlg
Thermal hand launch
date time: 10/8/2012 10:40am
duration of flight: 20 mins.
location yorkshire UK.

weather finally changed for better and I had 2 10min flights and a few 5 mins and a 20 min!
Awsome fun, also took out minimoa and had hour and 5 mins flight though with 7 mins of power!
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Aug 11, 2012, 03:03 AM
-Flight enthusiast_
Lake Louise, AB, Canada
Joined Feb 2000
3,563 Posts
Your Name - gpeden / Glen Peden
Glider/plane name and wingspan: Grafas 3.1M
Date and Time of flight: Aug. 9, 5 pm
Duration of flight: 17:51 - after 29 second motor run
Comments - Nice thermal activity, winds weren't too high like they usually are
Repaired Grafas seems to work fine (see comment in last months contest about failure

Glen
gpeden is offline Find More Posts by gpeden
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:08 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,054 Posts
Blunight
Glider: Art Hobby Orion 2.5M
Thermal
Date and Time of flight: August 11, 2012 12:40pm
Duration of flight: 21:51 (after 30 sec motor run)
Location:Paul Bunyan Flying Club field - Brainerd, Minnesota
Max Altitude: 2000 ft?
Weather Conditions: Sunny, wind 5mph

It was an unusual thermal day today, all the lift seemed to be above 600-700 feet or so. I spent an hour throwing my DLG with no luck finding lower thermals a poor hand catch crunched the boom putting an end to my DLG flights for a while.

I put up the Orion and had no problems finding lift at the top of the motor run lots of flights in the 10 to 20 mn range. At one point I had my spoilerons out for a good 2 mns trying to loose altitude!
My altimeter battery was DOA when I quit flying for the day, I'll post the plot later if it recorded.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:10 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,524 Posts
You almost beat me, blunight, but not quite! Don't worry if you improve though because I cut fellow Minnowsnowtans a bit of slack re: grudges. It's a bit amusing that we from the frozen tundra are ahead of all those guys from desert-like environments.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:20 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
You almost beat me, blunight, but not quite! Don't worry if you improve though because I cut fellow Minnowsnowtans a bit of slack re: grudges. It's a bit amusing that we from the frozen tundra are ahead of all those guys from desert-like environments.
Outstanding! The only thing better than being beaten by a neighbor from the frozen north would be flying togeather some day.