SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:14 PM
Joined Apr 2012
16 Posts
Rave
Horizon Hobby (Spektrum) Customer Support Rave!

Hey guys,
I was so happy and satisfied as a customer I had to post this review. I rarely do this.
I had a Spektrum DX6i that was intermittently ceasing to transmit, causing the loss of 2 planes within a week. Full and total destruction of a SuperCub LP and a Trojan T-28 (Parkzone/Hobbyzone).
I filled out a support request and sent in my DX6i for service. A week after sending it in, I got a call from the service tech, Tony, at Horizon Hobby. Since you only have 500 characters to describe an issue with the product, I requested on there to have a tech call me to explain more in depth.

I got a call yesterday from Tony, the tech support guy working on my transmitter. He said, as I expected, that it passed all of the bench tests and looked good. I explained in full all of my troubleshooting, and how I expected there was still an intermittent problem, and that I had lost confidence in the transmitter and lost 2 planes to it. I said I would be selling it if I got the same one back, as I couldn't count on it, and that I would probably lose money since I would explain the issue to the buyer.

After listening to me in full and discussing the situation, Tony made it completely right in my mind. He verified a replacement of the transmitter with a brand new in box unit (I said I was fine with a used, refurbished unit guaranteed good), as well as offered me 20% off any plane or items from Horizon/Park/Hobbyzone. I bought a brand new Albatross biplane from them at 20% off retail. I'll buy the parts later to refurbish my 2 planes.

All in all, I'm extremely happy with their service and support. I find lately that most companies don't go the extra mile to take care of their customers, and I feel that Horizon went above and beyond. I sent an email to Horizon about the excellence of Tony's service, and I'm hoping he get's recognized for it.

I hope this helps anybody considering Spektrum/Horizon products, I'm a very satisfied customer.

Evan
fadingfastsd is offline Find More Posts by fadingfastsd
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:52 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
They are about the best company out there to deal with. Customer centric all the way.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:53 PM
Joined Apr 2012
16 Posts
Ya I totally I agree. I so rarely would post any sort of review about customer service, but I was so blown away at a company going the extra mile I felt I had to share. I run my own business, and that's how I treat my customers, so I'm glad to see a larger company doing the same.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:58 PM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,555 Posts
Frankly, I would be pissed if I was in your situation. First, they are sending you a refurb of a controller that should have not failed. Second, you lost two planes and only got 20% off a future purchase?

I am glad you are happy, but I would hardly call that good service. If they send you two new planes and a refurbed controller then I could see you being happy.

A half measured fix after damage caused due to their poor QC is not good customer service. Good customer service is selling reliable products in situations that demand reliable products.
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Aug 01, 2012, 09:32 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Why does everyone expect perfection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
Frankly, I would be pissed if I was in your situation. First, they are sending you a refurb of a controller that should have not failed. Second, you lost two planes and only got 20% off a future purchase?

I am glad you are happy, but I would hardly call that good service. If they send you two new planes and a refurbed controller then I could see you being happy.

A half measured fix after damage caused due to their poor QC is not good customer service. Good customer service is selling reliable products in situations that demand reliable products.

You need to go back and read the first post again. Of interest:

He verified a replacement of the transmitter with a brand new in box unit (I said I was fine with a used, refurbished unit guaranteed good)

In addition;

as well as offered me 20% off any plane or items from Horizon/Park/Hobbyzone.

Can you please tell me how you would still be pissed at this? I never cease to be amazed at what customers expect. Yes of course we deserve to get what we paid for, but man, sometimes things don't go perfectly. Here is a great example of someone going to the other end of the spectrum:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1692911

They said they would replace the $20.00 servo but it wasn't clear it was ever sent back and received. Instead of doing his own due diligence, he flames the company here. (the company would be wise to respond to the complaints here, legit or not)

And for the record, the technician did their check on the item and could find no issues with it. The OP then said he wasn't confident with the item or was going to sell it. Horizon decided to send him a new one. How many companies do you think would complete a review of the item, find absolutely nothing wrong with it, then send a replacement free of charge? Oh, and then give discounts for future purchases? I'm thinking Horizon and Tower, that's about it.

Can you imagine the floodgates if they just took everyone's word that the receiver was at fault, and oh by the way I want two new planes too? They should just get everything replaced? Sorry, completely unrealistic, unfair to the company, and impractical.

Horizon did a great job here, and the OP was happy with the service.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:12 PM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,555 Posts
It is simple, they should have replaced at least one of the planes that was lost due to the failure of the TX in addition to getting him a reliable one. 20% off a future purchase is a horrible way to satisfy a customer.

Do you work for HH? You sure put in a lot of effort to try to spin what I posted.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:32 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
It is simple, they should have replaced at least one of the planes that was lost due to the failure of the TX in addition to getting him a reliable one. 20% off a future purchase is a horrible way to satisfy a customer.

Do you work for HH? You sure put in a lot of effort to try to spin what I posted.
I didn't spin anything.

I think I showed you that you completely missed the point the OP was making and appeared to go off on a misinformed rant. The point was that HH sent him a new transmitter when you were noting you would be pissed that they send a refurb. You acknowledge you got that wrong, right?

As for the rest of your comments, I was merely attempting to show what appeared to be continuing disconnects, not sure what that was rooted in, but appeared to be based on a sense of entitlement, and that companies should do what we want them to because we want it?

I could have missed the "half measured fix". The OP send the TX back, a tech ran a diagnostic, and found no problems. "poor QC"...you are basing this on what? Reliability problems, where? Based on one complaint? Failed TX, again, where? Do you know the myriad of possible reasons why this TX might not have worked? Do you know many Spectrum and JR products are out there, or Futaba etc etc?

It's perplexing to see such a viceral response and condemnation of a company based on a lack of understanding of the problem, that's all.

Now, I appreciate a good dig here and there, but I'm always amused when someone can't argue their position or validate their comments and resorts to the old "you must work for XYZ company".

For the record, I do not. But I surely love dealing with them. I have the DX5, 6i, and 8. I'm lucky enough to have no issues with those, but I've had some one off concerns that were dealt with above and beyond my expectations.

Rather than accuse of you being against HH, I'll just ask politely and see if you've had some type of adverse interaction with them? Are you prior comments based on that, or just in response to what you thought happened to the Op instead of what actually did?

Before getting accused of being a shill for them, I also love Tower, HeadsupRC, Value Hobby, and have also had excellent luck with HK.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:00 AM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,555 Posts
You put even more effort into this post and you took one thing I missed and spun it. If you aren't in them already, you sir have a career in politics
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:17 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
either that or fact checking. Details count.
Last edited by porcia83; Aug 02, 2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:41 PM
Joined Apr 2012
16 Posts
Wow guys, I didn't expect this to turn into a fight. It's not worth fighting over, it's just my opinion. GBLynden, you have a point, I don't think you're being unreasonable, but here's my thinking about it. I run a small business. I build electrical parts for motorcycle engines (stators & voltage regulators, charging system parts). I often have customers send back parts that are not bad, but they didn't fix the problem on their bike (because another electrical component was at fault), and they want a refund. Now my part may not be at fault whatsoever (I internally test), but I often will refund them anyways to keep them happy, because they come back to me in the future.

I know what it's like to bench test a part and have it look completely fine, but still have a customer want a replacement or refund. However, many companies won't do that, let alone listen to you in depth to see the issue clearly. Since the controller tested fine, they really didn't have to replace it. How do they know I'm even telling the truth about the crashed planes? (of course I am, I'm just making a point).

I run a business, and I understand it has to be fair to the business. But you also have to make money. On one hand it's sad that the current market has the bar set so low for customer service expectations that any sort of help is amazing, but it is what it is. Of course I would like both of my planes replaced. But is that realistic to expect? No, I don't think so.

I wanted a brand new controller that I could consider reliable, and I got it. The discount on a plane was above and beyond as far as I'm concerned.

So that's my 2 cents. I'm not too concerned with anybody agreeing or disagreeing, I'm just telling my story and that I was satisfied. In my experience, I usually leave customer service situations feeling underwhelmed, but I was happy in this case.

Evan
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:46 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
You sound like a class act, and I'm sure your business benefits greatly by it!
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:48 PM
Joined Apr 2012
16 Posts
Thanks Porcia, I try. I learned a long time ago to run my business that way. It pays more to lose a little money here and there and make people happy in the long run, as that pays off way more.
We're called RaceTech Electric, www.racetechelectric.com if you're interested (and ride bikes or know anybody who does!)
Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:43 AM
wh0'5 r34dy 70 637 1nv3r73d?!
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2012
41 Posts
I about laughed out loud when GBLynden asked if you worked for them. People can't even have a civil conversation on here anymore without someone accusing someone else of something stupid like that.

Porcia - thanks for actually reading the OP's post and providing a well thought out and valuable response.

GB - why waste your time and clutter up the thread?

I'm stoked on HobbyZone products and own about 5 of their planes and a Dx6i and a Dx5. Now I'm even more stoked to hear good things about their customer service. Thanks for the review!
DaxxRuckus is offline Find More Posts by DaxxRuckus
Old Aug 04, 2012, 01:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadingfastsd View Post
Hey guys,
I was so happy and satisfied as a customer I had to post this review. I rarely do this.
I had a Spektrum DX6i that was intermittently ceasing to transmit, causing the loss of 2 planes within a week. Full and total destruction of a SuperCub LP and a Trojan T-28 (Parkzone/Hobbyzone).
I filled out a support request and sent in my DX6i for service. A week after sending it in, I got a call from the service tech, Tony, at Horizon Hobby. Since you only have 500 characters to describe an issue with the product, I requested on there to have a tech call me to explain more in depth.

I got a call yesterday from Tony, the tech support guy working on my transmitter. He said, as I expected, that it passed all of the bench tests and looked good. I explained in full all of my troubleshooting, and how I expected there was still an intermittent problem, and that I had lost confidence in the transmitter and lost 2 planes to it. I said I would be selling it if I got the same one back, as I couldn't count on it, and that I would probably lose money since I would explain the issue to the buyer.

After listening to me in full and discussing the situation, Tony made it completely right in my mind. He verified a replacement of the transmitter with a brand new in box unit (I said I was fine with a used, refurbished unit guaranteed good), as well as offered me 20% off any plane or items from Horizon/Park/Hobbyzone. I bought a brand new Albatross biplane from them at 20% off retail. I'll buy the parts later to refurbish my 2 planes.

All in all, I'm extremely happy with their service and support. I find lately that most companies don't go the extra mile to take care of their customers, and I feel that Horizon went above and beyond. I sent an email to Horizon about the excellence of Tony's service, and I'm hoping he get's recognized for it.

I hope this helps anybody considering Spektrum/Horizon products, I'm a very satisfied customer.

Evan
I can't remember when I received such good CS that I would be compeled to write a letter or email to a company until this year with Horizon Hobby.
I sent in my Spectrum DX8 under warranty for a display problem. I also deceided to include my old second hand DX7 that was having intermittent range issues and my AR500 that I broke off the antenna. In about a week I received all Three items back and the DX8 & DX7 work fine. My AR500 was replaced with a brand New AR600. Everything was repaired or replaced at NO Charge. I fully expected to pay for the DX7 and the AR500 and the trun around time was only about a week. I consider that Absolutely Exceptional CS above and beyond what any reasonable person would expect. I'm sure some will say I paid 5x too much in the first place. I don't agree. I feel that what I paid for my DX8 including 2-AR8000's/satelite and a telemitry unit (received in 4 days) was a bargain and this kind of CS is just an added bonus. (R&D is expensive cloning is not).Thank you Horizon Hobby for the Exceptional way you treated me. Now a days Exemplary CS like this should be recognized.
Obviously some people are being paid to promote a company but I don't work for Horizon or any other hobby company.
valanti256 is offline Find More Posts by valanti256
Last edited by valanti256; Aug 04, 2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 01:35 PM
Joined Apr 2012
16 Posts
Valanti, I totally agree. That's why I posted this. I think it sucks that it's the norm to get poor service, but I also feel that we should try and shift the balance by talking about companies that get it right. That way maybe more will go the route of excellent service and better products, and we'll be happier buying their stuff!