HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:18 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I think there is plenty of grey area here and the FAA does not have the manpower at this time to be tracking down every AP business out there.

It is a convenient legal fiction that the FAA can not regulate under 400ft; it also throws the rest of the hobby under the bus. If the FAA has no authority it inherently means that the landowner has power over that airspace and you would need permission to fly anywhere that you did not own the land, probably including locations that were public right-of-way or state owned land. It also means that helicopters or other smaller aircraft flying under 400ft would be committing trespass as well.

The FAA is responsible for coordinating traffic in navigable airspace, but that does not mean they can not regulate aircraft under 400ft, especially when commerce is involved. It is also responsible for managing the airspace over the US as a public good and regulations must weigh public good vs private takings. This balance will start with changes to regulation, but will probably be years or even decades before the changes have been tested in the courts.

The problem right now is that the FAA has been dorking around with these regulations, probably because they are fighting all the incumbent interests ( aka, lots of conflicts of interest ) before they open their mouth. They have already violated every date set by congress to address the issue and I doubt they will suddenly come to a clear understanding of the problem anytime soon. The only way this will change is if the revolving door at the FAA starts to attract some companies producing drones.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:56 AM
SlowStick Test Pilot
patrickegan's Avatar
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,886 Posts
Its the other way around as they want to offramp to private sector. Most have nothing to offer the companies but the promise of inside knowledge and connections. Same situation with the DoD contractors ex military and the FBO process.
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:00 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickegan View Post
Its the other way around as they want to offramp to private sector. Most have nothing to offer the companies but the promise of inside knowledge and connections. Same situation with the DoD contractors ex military and the FBO process.
Chicken vs egg, either way it's not good for us or for the FAA's mandate. Very frustrating for those that have more than two baincells to rub together.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:37 AM
SlowStick Test Pilot
patrickegan's Avatar
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,886 Posts
You said it brother.
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:11 AM
Registered User
2MacGyver's Avatar
United States, VT
Joined Apr 2012
284 Posts
You publicly posted your irresponsible jittery videos, so you should have expected some backlash about that. And you got it, rightfully so. The fact that you fly over people is not "responsible flying" no matter how you safe you think you are.

I'm glad you couldn't find any of my work. I have plenty, and have intentionally not posted it here as I don't require a public approval of my AV. I also don't need to justify my response with proof of my flights just to make you happy. If I've been flying for one day or 50 years, I would still post the same thing: You are an irresponsible flyer and, if you continue, it will catch up with you. Be sure to post that video of your copter falling on someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryarnold View Post
bite me regarding your need to publicly bash my videos...
regarding safety, i fly responsibly and am getting great results around here.
chicken little said the sky is falling too.

I looked for some of your work, but couldn't find it. but i did see you were doing your 'first build' waaay back on the 6th of january 2013!! (posting for someone to tell you how to connect your motors...) ...good luck with that and waiting to see what you come up with. thanks for your opinion, even though you dont have much experience to back it up. a lot of people are enjoying my work. sorry youre not able to enjoy it too.
www.detroitdrone.com
2MacGyver is offline Find More Posts by 2MacGyver
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:16 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
1,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MacGyver View Post
You publicly posted your irresponsible jittery videos, so you should have expected some backlash about that. And you got it, rightfully so. The fact that you fly over people is not "responsible flying" no matter how you safe you think you are.

I'm glad you couldn't find any of my work. I have plenty, and have intentionally not posted it here as I don't require a public approval of my AV. I also don't need to justify my response with proof of my flights just to make you happy. If I've been flying for one day or 50 years, I would still post the same thing: You are an irresponsible flyer and, if you continue, it will catch up with you. Be sure to post that video of your copter falling on someone.
this is a 'is rcap illegal' thread, not a 'my video is better' thread. go start that thread (as soon as you make a video)
i havent gotten any negative response to my videos. only positive. i dont count your response because.
1. your first build was in january
2. you havent posted your own work
so minus your gripes. its only been a positive backlash.
from police, fire, local gov & homeland security , etc. theyve seen me work and support my safety procedures.
so since you have been flying for closer to one day than 50 years, again, thanks for your opinion. lets all hope your predictions of doom fall as far short as your efforts to post your work..
harryarnold is offline Find More Posts by harryarnold
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:53 PM
some call me macgyver....
bethelflier8036's Avatar
United States, OK, Shawnee
Joined Feb 2012
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryarnold View Post
this is a 'is rcap illegal' thread, not a 'my video is better' thread. Go start that thread (as soon as you make a video)
i havent gotten any negative response to my videos. Only positive. I dont count your response because.
1. Your first build was in january
2. You havent posted your own work
so minus your gripes. Its only been a positive backlash.
From police, fire, local gov & homeland security , etc. Theyve seen me work and support my safety procedures.
So since you have been flying for closer to one day than 50 years, again, thanks for your opinion. Lets all hope your predictions of doom fall as far short as your efforts to post your work..

...
bethelflier8036 is offline Find More Posts by bethelflier8036
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bethelflier8036; Feb 19, 2013 at 12:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:15 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
1,861 Posts
yeah, still arguing with GENTLEMEN who follow me onto unrelated threads in a pathetic attempt to embarrass me.

I thought you had moved on but i'll have to report you AGAIN.
harryarnold is offline Find More Posts by harryarnold
Last edited by harryarnold; Feb 25, 2013 at 09:36 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:34 PM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryarnold View Post
yeah, still arguing with morons who follow me onto unrelated threads in a pathetic attempt to embarrass me.

I thought you had moved on but i'll have to report you AGAIN. Havent you had enough? i guess not

pitiful.... be careful dealing with this guy. he mis-ships and then lies about it.
Out of mild curiosity I read through both threads, and I am still confused as to how you're a criminal for buying two things.
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:38 AM
r/c addict
USA, LA, DeRidder
Joined Jul 2004
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitchen8 View Post
Out of mild curiosity I read through both threads, and I am still confused as to how you're a criminal for buying two things.
well thats because he refused to send the tx back that he received by mistake and did'nt pay for. so the seller felt he had no recourse of action but to just sell him the other to break even
nitrodude71 is offline Find More Posts by nitrodude71
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:48 PM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodude71 View Post
well thats because he refused to send the tx back that he received by mistake and did'nt pay for. so the seller felt he had no recourse of action but to just sell him the other to break even
As a third party observer I disagree, he posted a picture of an rx, and since the seller already screwed up once is it really beyond the realm of possibility that he screwed up twice and sent an rx to both people? Either way, the seller has no right to try to recoup losses from his own mistake, if somebody screws up and sends the wrong item it is the buyer's prerogative whether he returns it or keeps it, if the seller isn't happy about that they should be more careful in what they do. Honestly I wouldn't trust a seller that can't figure out a simple thing like sending the right package to the right person, nor would I believe his side of the story.
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:10 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
1,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodude71 View Post
well thats because he refused to send the tx back that he received by mistake and did'nt pay for. so the seller felt he had no recourse of action but to just sell him the other to break even
umm. i didnt get a tx i got the rx that i posted a picture of...

i paid for everything i have.
no paypal or RCgroups dispute was ever filed by seller
slander seems to be the chosen weapon

and nitrodude, dont forget to tell everyone how you posted that i STOLE credit for aerial video i shared.
glad that got cleared up. tsk tsk tsk. And now you follow me here? whats your opinion on RCAP dude?

i sure am sorry to all the people looking for this thread for information on RCAP. this WAS a very good thread on the RCAP subject.

can whoever doesnt like me just start their very own 'harry sucks' thread? (invite me if you want my 2cents)

there are new developments in legislation that i would love to be reading about instead of false allegations about a settled dispute. its like you are holding every thread i post in hostage. then announce that its somehow my fault.
bullying plain and simple.

fly well all. i will too
harryarnold is offline Find More Posts by harryarnold
Last edited by harryarnold; Feb 19, 2013 at 03:25 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 24, 2013, 03:33 PM
Registered User
2MacGyver's Avatar
United States, VT
Joined Apr 2012
284 Posts
harry, that was quite immature of you to post "bite me" in one of your recent posts to me. It speaks volumes as to your character. This is supposed to be a positive forum, and your consistent negative comments are unproductive to the RC community.

You have received a negative response from your videos. From me. But, your willingness to fly over people and risk them harm is your decision. It doesn't matter how many agencies supposedly approved of your safety protocols, flying over people is unsafe.

Unless your profile gets banned, I know you will want to have the last word to this and post a flame response, so go ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryarnold View Post
this is a 'is rcap illegal' thread, not a 'my video is better' thread. go start that thread (as soon as you make a video)
i havent gotten any negative response to my videos. only positive. i dont count your response because.
1. your first build was in january
2. you havent posted your own work
so minus your gripes. its only been a positive backlash.
from police, fire, local gov & homeland security , etc. theyve seen me work and support my safety procedures.
so since you have been flying for closer to one day than 50 years, again, thanks for your opinion. lets all hope your predictions of doom fall as far short as your efforts to post your work..
Originally Posted by harryarnold View Post
bite me regarding your need to publicly bash my videos...
regarding safety, i fly responsibly and am getting great results around here.
chicken little said the sky is falling too.

I looked for some of your work, but couldn't find it. but i did see you were doing your 'first build' waaay back on the 6th of january 2013!! (posting for someone to tell you how to connect your motors...) ...good luck with that and waiting to see what you come up with. thanks for your opinion, even though you dont have much experience to back it up. a lot of people are enjoying my work. sorry youre not able to enjoy it too.
2MacGyver is offline Find More Posts by 2MacGyver
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:36 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
1,861 Posts
just what do you think is so dangerous about a flying multicopter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MacGyver View Post
harry, that was quite immature of you to post "bite me" in one of your recent posts to me. It speaks volumes as to your character. This is supposed to be a positive forum, and your consistent negative comments are unproductive to the RC community.

You have received a negative response from your videos. From me. But, your willingness to fly over people and risk them harm is your decision. It doesn't matter how many agencies supposedly approved of your safety protocols, flying over people is unsafe.

Unless your profile gets banned, I know you will want to have the last word to this and post a flame response, so go ahead.
huh? you're wrong !!
'YOU' are breaking rules by attacking me here.
i have received nothing but positive responses for my video. (and gotten more work too)
why do you insist on making personal attacks here? you are the negative one.
this forum IS NOT ABOUT VIDEO QUALITY 'opinions'.
please read the thread title before your next personal attack.
NO ONE wants to hear this kind of stuff in this thread.
the people in this thread are interested in RCAP legal matters. not estimates of my 'character' from people who don't know me.
I have many PMs from people supporting me. they just dont want to open themselves to personal attacks like they see me getting.
you dont know me or my character.
It's really making me laugh actually. how is it safe to fly an airliner or fighter jet over people, but not a 4 pound model?
are you complaining to local FAA about REAL AIRCRAFT FLYING OVER YOU? like this one....
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...-1225869295289
Thats a real-life example of a task that can be done much safer with RC (power-line surveys)
if you take care to prep your bird , you too can have safe flights.
just what do you think is so inherently dangerous about a flying multicopter?
i used to crash when i was learning, but now my maintenance and flying have made it very safe. ive been flying the same bird for a couple of years now.
please post something about RCAP so we can learn from your wisdom.
heres some more of my RCAP work. i shot and edited this. quality look ok to you?

2013 Doritos Superbowl Contest - Detroit Drone brings Doritos (0 min 31 sec)
harryarnold is offline Find More Posts by harryarnold
Last edited by harryarnold; Feb 24, 2013 at 05:16 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:01 AM View Post
nitrodude71
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Personal Attack. It is temporarily hidden while nitrodude71 edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion What size RC airplane would be illegal for me to fly? brtlmj Electric Plane Talk 35 Apr 01, 2014 11:36 AM
Discussion **Update** Fixed my busted plane - now it's forgotten how to fly! - Fixed! kenzietech Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 7 Apr 05, 2012 07:29 PM
Discussion my, 'fly right now' plane. twin 26 inch bipe nemoskull Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 2 Mar 14, 2012 05:53 PM
Discussion charger help needed for RC car now/RC plane later Will91 Batteries and Chargers 10 Jul 30, 2010 10:47 AM
Cool A commercial use for RC heli's - Getting paid to fly the lucky people! Bowerz Electric Heli Talk 4 Jun 01, 2010 06:48 PM