Joined Jul 2012
1,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
INS wold be awesome!

anyone seen these guys??
cool stuff

I wonder how they work the contract ???
Thats a silly question. obviously they are both full scale commercial pilots with a COA. jeez, keep up....
harryarnold is offline Find More Posts by harryarnold
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:54 PM
aerialskycam
Joined Feb 2011
149 Posts
If this is the first time you have ever heard that a commercial pilot license is required to make money off RC aerial photography then you must be new to this area of flying.

Don't take my word for it. Call your Detroit FAA Department tomorrow morning. Ask to speak to a FAA agent. Tell the agent you want to fly RC aircraft for profit on aerial photography photos.

Or call the AMA office and ask to speak with Jay from Model Aviation. Tell him your going to fly commercially.
We will all await their responses.
AerialSkyCam is offline Find More Posts by AerialSkyCam
Last edited by AerialSkyCam; Jan 22, 2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:31 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
1,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AerialSkyCam View Post
If this is the first time you have ever heard that a commercial pilot license is required to make money off RC aerial photography then you must be new to this area of flying.

Don't take my word for it. Call your Detroit FAA Department tomorrow morning. Ask to speak to a FAA agent. Tell the agent you want to fly RC aircraft for profit on aerial photography photos.

Or call the AMA office and ask to speak with Jay from Model Aviation. Tell him your going to fly commercially.
I dont want to prove anything. Im just asking you to provide proof for what you are stating as fact. You. not Jay from AMA or anyone else.
The purpose of this forum is to discuss facts. Dont try to obfuscate with confrontation.
I am working with everyone i need to on my end. if you can, simply reference a statute for me please and thank you.

If you look at my earlier posts, i was just trying to represent some thinking out of the box, helpful, fun, rewarding, uses for UAV AP.
I really really like that document of RC AP rules from a few posts back. um RCCAP ? OMG it's 5 years old and if it was updated to reflect current tech & trends......
Thats something i/we could live with AND i think it would make our work safe. and again, the most important thing here is insurance. If AP flys are insured everyone will step back and let the pilot concentrate like they do in 3D...... Happy & Safe flying to all !!
Last edited by harryarnold; Jan 22, 2013 at 11:08 PM. Reason: re-thought response
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:48 PM
aerialskycam
Joined Feb 2011
149 Posts
Link to FAA site.

You indicated in your last post you didn't read all the literature of the magazine I posted. This can be an issue to you when others put out the imperative information and it is not read. In addition, I asked that you call FAA or AMA, which you have refused to do.

I will not gather your homework for you. Just as I did my research, you shall do yourself.

So, I again ask you to read all the information posted in the link below.

http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/uas/uas_faq/#Qn2

Another link.
http://photographyforrealestate.net/...ll-commercial/

Quoted from link.
Quote:
Basic, you will need a normal FAA Pilot License, yea… to fly a regular plane with an RC Helicopter endorsement on your license.
Patrick Egan from the Radio Control Aerial Photography Association can also back me up, along with the many pilots who know about AP and it's legal ramifications.

You indicated this is the first time you have read anything about what I have stated, and no where has it been mentioned in this thread. However, if you go back in the thread, you will see it has been mentioned multiple times by many different users.
Last edited by AerialSkyCam; Jan 22, 2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:42 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
1,861 Posts
Quote:
Link to FAA site.

You indicated in your last post you didn't read all the literature of the magazine I posted. This can be an issue to you when others put out the imperative information and it is not read. In addition, I asked that you call FAA or AMA, which you have refused to do.

I will not gather your homework for you. Just as I did my research, you shall do yourself.

So, I again ask you to read all the information posted in the link below.

http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/uas/uas_faq/#Qn2

Another link.
http://photographyforrealestate.net/...ll-commercial/

Quoted from link.

Patrick Egan from the Radio Control Aerial Photography Association can also back me up, along with the many pilots who know about AP and it's legal ramifications.

You indicated this is the first time you have read anything about what I have stated, and no where has it been mentioned in this thread. However, if you go back in the thread, you will see it has been mentioned multiple times by many different users.
ok. where is the category for 3D in that FAQ?. this is outdated because sponsored pilots couldnt be just modelers.they do it for business. and they dont all have COAs either right?
there are modern rules posted somewhere right?
I just honestly had no idea someone needed a full-scale commercial pilot license to do UAV AP.
Is everyone flying sponsored 3D or Flying while selling AP gear, breaking FAA rules?
i just want to see rules that explain 3D and FPV and AP and sponsorships vs business, etc.
Last edited by harryarnold; Jan 23, 2013 at 12:08 AM. Reason: removed sarcasm
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:43 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryarnold View Post
Thats a silly question. obviously they are both full scale commercial pilots with a COA. jeez, keep up....
LOL
I hear ya bro

Quote:

No contract, no commercial anything needed!

AMA does nothing for AP work or Hobbyists out side a AMA event
big deal man, to bring up AMA with this
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:58 PM
Joined Nov 2011
3,530 Posts
Quote:
ok. where is the category for 3D in that FAQ. this is outdated because they couldnt be modelers. AMA has gotten past this right?
other articles: those arent rules. those are people talking about rules.
there are modern rules posted somewhere right? where can a person read the rules your articles mention?
I just honestly had no idea someone needed a full-scale commercial pilot license to do UAV AP. Is the FAA aware of the number of gimbals owned by non pilots?
This is a huge scandal of mind boggling proportions.
Looks like all that keeps getting posted over and over and over and over again is just that...... people talking about so called rules
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:13 AM
aerialskycam
Joined Feb 2011
149 Posts
I have provided a magazine article I was in. The contents include the editor of the magazine speaking directly with the FAA and they gave him info on what was needed to be a COMMERCIAL aerial photographer.

The magazine has the FAA seal indicating the contents was approved by the FAA.

At this point, I can see where I am helping is futile, as the minds of some refuse to do their own research and find the truth.

Good luck to all and "be careful".
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:13 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
1,861 Posts
-FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE-

The government has announced a "gimbal buyback program". Alarmed by the rapid proliferation of gimbals, they are acting now. "Aerial Pictures are everywhere. It's totally out of hand" a government source revealed.
Protests have sprung up in response. "They'll have to pry my gimbal from my cold double-sided tape" said one AP nut. Many maintain the right for their multicopter to keep and bear a gimbal shouldn't be given up.
"We're also concerned by the guys using the High Capacity SD cards. They're out here shooting 30 minutes of HD. Everyone knows you dont need a card that big to take a couple of chimney pictures" our source continued.
The Government wont actually be paying for the gimbals, they will issue a 'thank you' for compliance.
At one protest a sign read "Gimbals don't shoot pictures, RC modelers do." Some sheriffs have said off the record that they will not confiscate SD cards.
In closing our source said, "we know we can't prevent every aerial photo, but if we can stop one aerial photographer from making income, we've done our job. Good luck to all and be careful "
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:26 AM
Joined Nov 2011
3,530 Posts
Love it!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:01 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,080 Posts
It's possible that there might never be a clear set of rules. It would not be possible for the rule makers to predict all the potential uses and dangers for such a fast changing technology. Anything that they came up would be outdated the day it was published.

I think we are going to see sets of guidelines that amount to more of a "checklist" of things to keep in mind. Not all of the items on that checklist would apply to all operations. Then the onus would be on you to come up with a proposal for your operation that they can accept.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:38 PM
FPV Crash Test Dummy
United States, AR, Sparkman
Joined Aug 2012
266 Posts
This is by far the most entertaining thing I've read all week.

Quote:
-FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE-

The government has announced a "gimbal buyback program". Alarmed by the rapid proliferation of gimbals, they are acting now. "Aerial Pictures are everywhere. It's totally out of hand" a government source revealed.
Protests have sprung up in response. "They'll have to pry my gimbal from my cold double-sided tape" said one AP nut. Many maintain the right for their multicopter to keep and bear a gimbal shouldn't be given up.
"We're also concerned by the guys using the High Capacity SD cards. They're out here shooting 30 minutes of HD. Everyone knows you dont need a card that big to take a couple of chimney pictures" our source continued.
The Government wont actually be paying for the gimbals, they will issue a 'thank you' for compliance.
At one protest a sign read "Gimbals don't shoot pictures, RC modelers do." Some sheriffs have said off the record that they will not confiscate SD cards.
In closing our source said, "we know we can't prevent every aerial photo, but if we can stop one aerial photographer from making income, we've done our job. Good luck to all and be careful "
vewdew1 is offline Find More Posts by vewdew1
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:37 PM
Joined May 2010
998 Posts
Quote:
Thank you.

Absolutely. I have written many articles for national publications. I have also been in contact with the FAA. All of my articles had to be approved by the FAA, as no illegal activity can be published or condoned.

Below is just one example I am referring to. Read the article carefully. Notice the FAA "stamp of approval".

Attachment 5470962

Stephen Born
www.aerialskycam.com
Great. Say I am a commercial pilot. How do I get around using (or perhaps not using?) HAM bands for the video downlink?
Deadstick 8409 is online now Find More Posts by Deadstick 8409
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:42 PM
aerialskycam
Joined Feb 2011
149 Posts
Quote:
. The government has announced a "gimbal buyback program". Alarmed by the rapid proliferation of gimbals, they are acting now. "Aerial Pictures are everywhere. It's totally out of hand" a government source revealed.

Quote:
AMA does nothing for AP work or Hobbyists out side a AMA event
big deal man, to bring up AMA with this
This is the type of response from someone who is either not an AMA member, or has just started in AP, or both.

You seem not to understand I contribute greatly in our heli hobby here on RCGroups, HeliFreak, and RunRyder. As a member of AMA, Radio Control Aerial Photography Association, sponsored pilot, and president of AerialSkyCam, I have tried to assist you. But my understanding is you have made up your minds. Clearly, it seems both harryarnold, brushless55, and I are in different categories when it comes to RCAP, model helis, and life in general. I will contribute to this thread, but will not be drawn into debates such as yours.

To the other pilots on this thread, I am here to assist in anyway I can to legalize AP use COMMERICIALLY here in the U.S. I, along with Patrick Egan from sUAS and many other pilots have written Congress and our local Senators to have an ammendment as it references to CommercialAP. In addition, we were on a national talk show regarding the legal ramifications of AP use. I encourage all AP pilots who want to make a positive difference in our quest to continue to have a proactive approach, and not follow the negative leads of some.

Safe flying and good luck!
Last edited by AerialSkyCam; Jan 23, 2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:02 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
1,861 Posts
Quote:
This is the type of response from someone who is either not an AMA member, or has just started in AP, or both.

You seem not to understand I contribute greatly in our heli hobby here on RCGroups, HeliFreak, and RunRyder. As a member of AMA, Radio Control Aerial Photography Association, sponsored pilot, and president of AerialSkyCam, I have tried to assist you. But my understanding is you have made up your minds. Clearly, it seems both harryarnold, brushless55, and I are in different categories when it comes to RCAP, model helis, and life in general. I will contribute to this thread, but will not be drawn into debates such as yours.

Safe flying and good luck!
debate? i was with you until i read my name.
sir,
i have only asked you for the exact statute that backs up your statement that one has to be a " full scale commercial pilot" to legally fly UAV AP.
I was just curious as i couldn't find the statute/law/rule you represented.
I am sorry about being kicked out of your category of life in general.
Last edited by harryarnold; Jan 23, 2013 at 10:42 PM.