SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:23 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,287 Posts
so its still sounding like we can fly for money!!!
brushless55 is online now Find More Posts by brushless55
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:00 PM
Joined Dec 2007
172 Posts
You have made the incorrect assumption that the FAA wants to be bothered regulating small $ AP operations. They don't have the people, desire or budget to do so. It will make their job easier while passifying the AOPA and major suppliers to put insurmountable obstacles in our path. They want to regulate us out of existence just like they wanted to do with sport flying. Sadly we don't have the organization, money or political clout like the AMA has so our future looks very dim. Hate to be negative but the truth isn't always what we want to hear.
xfc3dcd is offline Find More Posts by xfc3dcd
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:02 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,950 Posts
There is a definite ring of truth in what you are saying here, xfc3dcd. I was hinting at the same thing when I mentioned that real estate photographers are at the bottom end of the totem pole. This is a very powerful tool that could be used for both good and bad purposes.

All it is going to take is for some little guy to see something he was not supposed to see, and the regulations will change overnight. That already happened in Toronto.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:10 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,839 Posts
There are the RCAPA proposed guidelines and insurance is available...

http://wcs_bbs.tripod.com/RCAPAProposal_11-LATEST.pdf
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:26 PM
Joined Nov 2011
3,287 Posts
Looks like lots of money to be made in our future

fly smart and make money
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:28 AM
Lift is cheap - Drag sucks
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,613 Posts
Pat,

The RCAPA rules make sense, but this is not an exercise in logic. You can take photographs with AP and UAV AP, but you cannot use them. My photographs are of archaeological sites. I can no longer use AP as part of a program with the National Park Service. This is all volunteer work and the images are public property. It is not 'commercial' photography. As I said above the contract is what is forbidden. I fail to understand how the intent of the operator changes the danger to the NAS.

Interestingly, the FAA regs also banned helium filled party balloons. An exception was quickly made to allow them even though they have frequently caused damage to power lines. Obviously WalMart has more influence than RCAPA.

So, has progress been made? Is it possible that we will have an unregulated <4 pound AUW class?

Tom
Tom Harper is offline Find More Posts by Tom Harper
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:37 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
1,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickegan View Post

Excellent. I would bump ultralight weight up to 2kg or 5lbs though...(im gonna have to rebuild my bird for 4lbs limit )

Is this a membership organisation? Please more info on AP insurance that you mention.
harryarnold is offline Find More Posts by harryarnold
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:52 AM
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,613 Posts
I agree that 5 lbs would better cover a reasonable camera and lipo, but it's likely to be an even 2kg or 4.4 lbs.

Tom
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
1,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Harper View Post
I agree that 5 lbs would better cover a reasonable camera and lipo, but it's likely to be an even 2kg or 4.4 lbs.

Tom
Right . @ 4 lbs basically you allow only medium size quads & tricopters (no hex or octo) and smaller.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:07 PM
aerialskycam
Joined Feb 2011
149 Posts
I have been flying AP for a while, and have spoken with the FAA directly.

For those that live in the U.S., be very careful.

Stephen Born
www.aerialskycam.com
AerialSkyCam is offline Find More Posts by AerialSkyCam
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:32 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
1,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AerialSkyCam View Post
I have been flying AP for a while, and have spoken with the FAA directly.

For those that live in the U.S., be very careful.

Stephen Born
www.aerialskycam.com
could you be more clear in the issues you are discussing? I saw your site. Very professional. Surely you have more to say on this issue than "be careful"...
Thats right up there with "they'll be knocking on your door" on the vague threat list.
Facts and personal experience would be more helpful to all the intelligent & already careful readers.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:41 PM
aerialskycam
Joined Feb 2011
149 Posts
Quote:
I saw your site. Very professional.
Thank you.

Quote:
Facts and personal experience would be more helpful
Absolutely. I have written many articles for national publications. I have also been in contact with the FAA. All of my articles had to be approved by the FAA, as no illegal activity can be published or condoned.

Below is just one example I am referring to. Read the article carefully. Notice the FAA "stamp of approval".

Name: IMG_1088.jpg
Views: 83
Size: 251.6 KB
Description:

Stephen Born
www.aerialskycam.com
AerialSkyCam is offline Find More Posts by AerialSkyCam
Last edited by AerialSkyCam; Jan 22, 2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:51 PM
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,613 Posts
Agreed, the issue is one of exercising 'due dilligence' before engaging in any activity in the NAS.

Tom.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:00 PM
Joined Nov 2011
3,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickegan View Post

INS wold be awesome!

anyone seen these guys??
cool stuff

Traxxas TORC 2010 - The Off Road Championship - RC Helicopter Segment - Trent Palmer & Errol Kerr (2 min 26 sec)

I wonder how they work the contract ???
Last edited by brushless55; Jan 22, 2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:13 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
1,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AerialSkyCam View Post
Read the article carefully.
Now i'm really confused. This article says I need a full scale pilots license before flying UAV AP ?
Now i havent read everything , but nowhere have i heard this.
In all the attachments in this wonderful thread, nothing mentions a pilot license being a prerequisite for UAV AP.
and this is certainly very interesting because no one I know is aware of this requirement either.
So I can speak clearly about this to others, can you please point me to the rule/law/suggestion/etc that says i need a full scale pilot license for UAV AP like the article claims.
OOPS NO.. not just a full scale license but a COMMERCIAL FULL SCALE LICENSE. I'll wait on the statute but, I dont believe this to be true until i see it.