SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:52 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,020 Posts
This is only a guess by someone from Canada, but I figure anybody who is well connected can legally use UAV's. That includes the military, the police, Hollywood, and embedded "journalists" like those at CNN and FOX. Those entities don't want the average guys like us to see what is really out there.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:58 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Jan 2008
11 Posts
Very interesting podcast with Doug Davis, thanks Patrick!

I also wish an FAA representative from the UAS Integration Office would go on your weekly podcast, but I share your skepticism. Perhaps after the NPRM, someone will answer our questions...

In the meantime, all we can do is speculate. I heard a lot of rumors about the future of commercial ops at AUVSI in Las Vegas, but the "rulemakers" I spoke with were tight-lipped.
jetcruise is offline Find More Posts by jetcruise
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:07 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,496 Posts
i for one do like the idea of closed door rule making in the US
and the fact 98% of the "rulemakers" are in the big defense contractors and big aviation worries me that the rules will favor them
only one rep from the AMA is on the board and 2 from the EAA out 40 some
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:08 PM
Joined Jul 2010
3,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
This is only a guess by someone from Canada, but I figure anybody who is well connected can legally use UAV's. That includes the military, the police, Hollywood, and embedded "journalists" like those at CNN and FOX. Those entities don't want the average guys like us to see what is really out there.
has nothing to do with that its about money
and keeping the small start ups out of the market
and protecting full scale AP

that said there needs to some kind of over site so joe hobby pilot cant just buy a quad rotor and start filming where ever
airframes need transponders and be registered and pilots need at lest SOME ground school
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:32 PM
Joined May 2010
959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elios000 View Post
i for one do like the idea of closed door rule making in the US
and the fact 98% of the "rulemakers" are in the big defense contractors and big aviation worries me that the rules will favor them
only one rep from the AMA is on the board and 2 from the EAA out 40 some
That's true in every industry. Government by the Corporations, for the Corporations. Big business owns us and our government.
Deadstick 8409 is online now Find More Posts by Deadstick 8409
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:05 AM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
I'm not anti-government and in fact I'm for the Federal Government, but if I want to fly my electric glider and record video and sell that video I will do it and I don't care what anybody else says.
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:25 AM
Joined Jul 2010
3,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
I'm not anti-government and in fact I'm for the Federal Government, but if I want to fly my electric glider and record video and sell that video I will do it and I don't care what anybody else says.
the issue is when you and million other people start doing this
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:35 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzkeeper View Post
This thread has been chock full of information. One question. How do aerial film companys operate legally? Companys that shoot for hollywood type productions?
This is what I'm stepping into
we don't see any red tape of any sort as of now

one can gather all the rolling video they want without contract
brushless55 is online now Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:10 AM
AutoQuad OS developer
near Ithaca, NY, US
Joined Aug 2004
948 Posts
I see this partially as a consumer rights issue as well. Why can't I hire someone with an AP rig to take pictures of my property (or of a property I'm selling)? I'd have to hire a full-size airplane/pilot/photographer, which would be too expensive to be practical. But, I can hire a company to come mow my lawn -- who show up with 2 or more large and potentially very dangerous machines with operators who are barely old enough to drive legally. Those things could go out of control and run over my neighbor's cat, dog, and mother-in-law! This really gets into property right issues. IMHO, one should be allowed to do whatever one wants directly above their property (or allow others to do it), as long as it is reasonably safe and not disturbing to others, which are the same criteria typically applied to ground-based activities (like getting your lawn mowed, which is pretty obnoxious to anyone who has to listen to it for an hour). I'm over-simplifying of course, but you hopefully get my point.

-Max
maximal is offline Find More Posts by maximal
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:45 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,020 Posts
At this point, I'm looking at the glass being half full instead of half empty. Things could easily get a lot worse, and even recreational flying could become heavily regulated. Those who openly flaunt the law today will hasten the arrival of that regulated future.

Even people who mow lawns for a living have to have business licenses and insurance. With all the paranoia about all the nefarious purposes flying machines could be used for, we have to feel lucky that we can still put a camera on a plane and take pictures for our own entertainment. That day is coming to an end.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:48 AM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,863 Posts
@jetcruise

Thanks. We'll keep trying.
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:24 PM
AutoQuad OS developer
near Ithaca, NY, US
Joined Aug 2004
948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
At this point, I'm looking at the glass being half full instead of half empty. Things could easily get a lot worse, and even recreational flying could become heavily regulated. Those who openly flaunt the law today will hasten the arrival of that regulated future.
Back when I lived in the Soviet Union (back when it still existed), that was the attitude that kept people going through all the horrible things the government put them through -- "Well, it could always be worse." Meaning, just shut up and bear it or worse things may happen to you. Needless to say, I'm not a big fan of that attitude.

-Max
maximal is offline Find More Posts by maximal
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:54 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,020 Posts
Yes maximal, what you say is true. One part of me hated typing those words because I have always believed you should fight for what is right. Unfortunately, if the decision is ever made by the military and police that nobody but them should have a remote-controlled plane in the air, that's what it will be.

The Soviet Union was not brought down by little people fighting for what was right. It was brought down by big money wanting a big piece of the last untapped resources on the planet. We are just trading corporations for governments as the gods who tell us how to live.

I will fight for the right for us to enjoy this hobby and take pictures for our own pleasure. I will not fight for the right of commercial operations to do it without any regulations. Once money enters the picture, all other priorities (such as safety) tend to vanish.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:11 PM
Joined Dec 2007
172 Posts
The list of what caused the fall of the Soviet empire is a very long one. When half your GDP is going to defense and then you increase that to counter Reagan's Stars Wars, something has to break. The cold war ended but it was too late. Communism is always doomed to failure in time as there is no incentive for individuals to become entrepreneurs. Enough political science.

I deplore generalizations because they are never, ever accurate but I will counter yours with one of mine. For every unregulated AP operator that would compromise public safety in pursuit of greater profit, there is another who would never consider doing the same due to having every spare moment and dollar invested in the business. Most people I respect feel only very light regulations are warranted for commercial AP work and I agree. That isn't what will happen sadly enough.

The US is heading down the path to financial collapse also. The Great reccession is just act one. Excessive regulations are killing innovation. We are falling behind in math and science at an alarming rate and too few productive workers are supporting too many nonproductive citizens. I am glad I am nearing the finish line but I fear greatly for my grandchildren.
xfc3dcd is offline Find More Posts by xfc3dcd
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:51 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,366 Posts
I do hear you xfc3dcd
brushless55 is online now Find More Posts by brushless55