HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:26 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,822 Posts
COA's are for Civil operations only i.e. public entities. Experimental cert for UAS doesn't allow you to charge money.

NO Comercial operations are allowed with UAS in the National Airspace System (NAS)
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:28 PM
Joined May 2010
958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogrc View Post
Deadstick,
Great addition! I am not familiar with HAM for issues. So if you use a low power TX for short range on 5.8 would that pass?

Mark
Only if it were an approved PART 15 device, which puts out somewhere around 15 mw. Perfect if you only had to have the range of, say, a living room.
Deadstick 8409 is offline Find More Posts by Deadstick 8409
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:35 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadstick 8409 View Post
Only if it were an approved PART 15 device, which puts out somewhere around 15 mw. Perfect if you only had to have the range of, say, a living room.
Are you saying its illegal for a business to use a standard of the shelf wireless device in the "unlicensed bands" for profit generating activities?
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:31 PM
Joined May 2010
958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Are you saying its illegal for a business to use a standard of the shelf wireless device in the "unlicensed bands" for profit generating activities?
Unless the transmitter has a type acceptance sticker from the FCC, yes, that is exactly what I am saying. If the off the shelf component has a fcc sticker, (and correspondingly, listed in the FCC data base) you are free to use it as you see fit. Note, you will NOT see said sticker on any 5.8 (or any other frequency) video transmitter sold that is capable of being useful. That is why there is the warning on each of the items they sell on the their web site that is actually useful for a video link:
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=266
Notice the warning:
"Notice: The use and operation of this product in the USA and many other countries requires an amateur/ham radio license, and some countries may forbid its use entirely. It is the responsibility of the purchaser to ensure that the use of this product meets the requirements imposed by your government’s rules and regulations for RF devices. Do not purchase this product if you are unsure of the government requirements or are not able to comply with them. ReadyMadeRC cannot be held responsible for your actions if you purchase and/or use this product in violation of your government's regulations."

To use that product, you need a ham license to be legal. You cease to be legal the second you try to profit in any form of use of the product.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:35 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,494 Posts
Quote:
Deadstick,
Great addition! I am not familiar with HAM for issues. So if you use a low power TX for short range on 5.8 would that pass?

Mark
issue is you need that cert and that like the HAM deal you cant make money with an Experimental classed aircraft*
there may be a waver for this too but im betting it would be turned down at the door

basically right now its research and testing only

id almost be willing to be youll need a full scale commercial ticket even for UAVs when this is all said and done
remember this rules we are working with right now may change drastically when the NPRM comes out
imo its a mistake to make any big investment in gear till we see whats in the NPRM
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:37 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,262 Posts
but yet we still can fly for fun and for the hobby
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:01 AM
AutoQuad OS developer
near Ithaca, NY, US
Joined Aug 2004
948 Posts
Quote:
NAS is over 400 ft.
Where do you see that? The FAA claims to control all airspace from ground level up, as far as I can tell. Whether that's legally true or not, I don't know (but would like to).

-Max
maximal is offline Find More Posts by maximal
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:13 AM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Jan 2008
11 Posts
Max, you are correct; the FAA controls all airspace from the ground up. The airspace may be classified as either "Class B, C, or D" if it is controlled or "Class E" if it is uncontrolled.

In any case, Patrick Egan is also correct; the commercial of UAS in NAS is currently prohibited by the FAA...
jetcruise is offline Find More Posts by jetcruise
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:34 AM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,822 Posts
Podcast with Doug Davis about some of these issues

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/suasnew...as-initiatives

presentation referenced in the podcast

http://www.suasnews.com/2013/01/2052...-news-podcast/
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:25 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,929 Posts
Wow, that was quite the saga. Over the past 2 days I have managed to read this entire thread. It was a hot August and there were some hot tempers, but things appear to have cooled down with the onset of winter.

In Canada, it is legal to use UAV's for commercial purposes, but there are some hoops to jump through. One is that the onus is on you to present a plan that is safe, and I think that is a reasonable request. When there is money on the table, priorities change, and sometimes safety and common sense get sacrificed to the almighty dollar.

I'm not a fan of government regulations intruding into our lives, but when it comes to running a business, I would rather see some rules than simply having the companies police themselves. We have seen over and over that making a buck can easily take precedence over common sense, the health of employees and customers, and the environment. Many people have died in commercial airliners because the company wanted to save a few bucks on maintenance, and squeeze in "just a couple more flights" with a plane that they knew was not really ready to fly.

Many people on this forum have wondered exactly where the line is drawn between recreational and commercial use, and here is my answer (not the government's or lawyer's answer). You cross the line when the temptation to make more money causes you to cut corners and put people at risk.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:18 PM
Joined Jul 2010
3,494 Posts
bets on whats going to be in the NPRM?
my prediction? its not going to be pretty
most hobby stuff will be fine provided your a member of a CBO
but sUAS will be govt only for the most part with some space for commercial use which will require you have a commercial ticket AND an approved airframe which will have to be build by an approved builder which will have to go threw the same checks as full scale

why do think this well go look up the list of people on the board for the new rules
imo i think they want to keep the cheap hobby rigs out of the market to A. sell there own airframes and B. sell pilot contracts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:40 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,929 Posts
There is supposed to be some new stuff coming down for Canadians this April.. Rumor has it that we will be following the US example.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:41 PM
United States, NJ, Hasbrouck Heights
Joined Jan 2013
1 Posts
This thread has been chock full of information. One question. How do aerial film companys operate legally? Companys that shoot for hollywood type productions?
Buzzkeeper is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkeeper
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:44 PM
Joined Jul 2010
3,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzkeeper View Post
This thread has been chock full of information. One question. How do aerial film companys operate legally? Companys that shoot for hollywood type productions?
out of full scale and LOTS of red tape
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:48 PM
Joined May 2010
958 Posts
The govt. draws a very clear line on compensation, even a free dinner can be construed as compensation unfortunately.